#31 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

At least he's a center...

In an ideal world, Kesler would accept this and become our 3rd line center. But Canucks World is usually not ideal.

Why is everyone opposed to Kelser moving to the wing? The way he's been playing since his 41 goal year is more suited for the wing anyway.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 14 March 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#32 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Swim team

#33 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Why is everyone opposed to Kelser moving to the wing? The way he's been playing since his 41 goal year is more suited for the wing anyway.

because he is a selke winner and he is very good in the face-off circle with a win percentage between 50-57 over the last 3 years. You don`t simply put somebody that good in the circle on the wing and let that go to waste

#34 Zissou

Zissou

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

people seem to forget Ribeiro has a great shot and can pick corners. Haven't people on this board been whining about the Canucks having no snipers on the team?

I've got the guy in my hockey pool and even on a under-performing Capitals team he's producing. Well, the Canucks are under-performing too.

#35 Felix Potvin

Felix Potvin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think he would be good here

#36 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,706 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

you make it sound like kesler is worse than him

He's not, but you have to put Ribs in an offensive center role or he's useless. Meaning Kesler would have to man up and accept the 3rd line shutdown position, which he's excellent at. I would be very happy if something like that ever happens here.
Posted Image

#37 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,706 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Kesler can still pop in goals on the powerplay with the twins.
Posted Image

#38 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Booth-Ribeiro-Kesler

If Kesler doesn't want to play wing, he can prove that he belongs at center
Posted Image

#39 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Keep in mind that he will be a UFA next year. If MG is going for this guy hope we don't give up too much. I had this guy in my hockey pool once and he was so streaky it aren't funny. When he is so bad and I decided to bench him he gets 3 points, that kind of thing.

Edited by CHIPS, 14 March 2013 - 11:30 AM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#40 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Why rent a diver we have enough of them under contract now. I watched Ribero in a game this year and he got high sticked and proceeded to meltdown the whole game, friggin useless the whole game after that. How would he do on the Canucks being bullied around when the reffs put away their whistles, be floppin all over the ice.

#41 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

because he is a selke winner and he is very good in the face-off circle with a win percentage between 50-57 over the last 3 years. You don`t simply put somebody that good in the circle on the wing and let that go to waste

Let's do some thinking outside the box for a minute here:

Kesler still takes faceoffs, then moves to the wing for the rest of his shift. Of course we'd need a legitimate playmaker to play center with him for this to work.

And what does playing on the wing have anything to do with the Selke? It's awarded to the forward who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game, not just centres, wingers can and have won it too you know.

Kesler played really well on the wing with Sundin in '09 and in the PP with the twins in '11.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#42 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

you make it sound like kesler is worse than him

Mike Ribeiro: 0.77 pts per game throughout his career.

Ryan Kesler: 0.6 pts per game throughout his career.

Ribeiro is better for the 2nd line as he produces more than Kesler. That's just a fact, you cannot deny that. If we got Ribeiro however, ideally he'd be the 2nd line center and Kesler would move to the wing since he plays like a winger. On PK's and defensive zone faceoffs, Kesler can play center.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#43 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Why rent a diver we have enough of them under contract now. I watched Ribero in a game this year and he got high sticked and proceeded to meltdown the whole game, friggin useless the whole game after that. How would he do on the Canucks being bullied around when the reffs put away their whistles, be floppin all over the ice.

Kesler flops all over the ice. Double standards much?
Posted Image

Previously:

#44 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Kesler flops all over the ice. Double standards much?

Read the whole post.

#45 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Read the whole post.

I did. But I bet on average flopping and diving gives us more powerplays than it does penalties.
Posted Image

Previously:

#46 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,461 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

I love how no one wants "soft" players, only goons, then whine when goons are useless. The Canucks are a team that gets by on talent, not on crashing around. Trying to force goons into the top six isn't going to magically fix the offense - good offensive players will.

He has been nearly PPG every season for the last nine years, and has 28 points in 25 games this year. Stop running your mouth just to hear yourself talk.

You're being a simpleton. No one is suggesting a "goon" for the second line. Soft vs goon aren't the options.

What most of us want is a relatively decent two way player, one who isn't a one-trick center who can't win faceoffs, lacks a physical element to his game, isn't very good in his own end, down low, or on the boards, isn't a particularly good skater, is an overpriced rental, and isn't really the type of character that the team needs to add.

Don't be telling Noheart not to be running his mouth.

#47 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

You're being a simpleton. No one is suggesting a "goon" for the second line. Soft vs goon aren't the options.

What most of us want is a relatively decent two way player, one who isn't a one-trick center who can't win faceoffs, lacks a physical element to his game, isn't very good in his own end, down low, or on the boards, isn't a particularly good skater, is an overpriced rental, and isn't really the type of character that the team needs to add.

Don't be telling Noheart not to be running his mouth.

Having physical two way players is all fine and dandy, but we need goals! Ribeiro can help in that aspect.
Posted Image

Previously:

#48 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ribeiro won't come cheap, he is playing top line minutes with Ovie for most of the season. My gut is the price will be too steep. I'd definitely put my feelers out there.

I'd also see what Pomminville is going for, would they consider Booth +?

Edited by mpt, 14 March 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#49 safin

safin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

We're all entitled to our opinions but some of your opinions are just wrong :P

Ribeiro would be a great fit on this team and adds an element we're sorely lacking, skill. Outside the Sedins we're undertalented. Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Booth, Hansen all guys who work their ass off, produce (booth being the exception) and nobody will question their work ethic but they're strict north and south guys, guys who create off their hard work and forecheck, the talent ranges between this group but none are classic offensive talents, they can put the puck in the net through hard work and smart play but you need some slick players in your line up as well, outside the twins, amongst the forwards Raymond might be our most creative player and that's not saying a lot. Hard working north and south guys need to play with skill players to get the puck at the right times in the right spots...whether he dives or you don't like that he isn't physical enough, that's irrelevant, his job is to create offensive chances on this team he could and he'd make the players around him better, how can you argue that he couldn't be a fit here?

Edited by safin, 14 March 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#50 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I love how no one wants "soft" players, only goons, then whine when goons are useless. The Canucks are a team that gets by on talent, not on crashing around. Trying to force goons into the top six isn't going to magically fix the offense - good offensive players will.

He has been nearly PPG every season for the last nine years, and has 28 points in 25 games this year. Stop running your mouth just to hear yourself talk.

We have enough if him, I hate that little bugger.

Also, Settle down.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#51 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

The previous video in this thread showed his flaws. Now here's a video that show's his skills.

Would not be opposed to seeing him center the 2nd line and have Kes on the wing

the-blacklist-poster-1.jpg

1190007304.png CDC STHS GM ||||| small.png CDCFL GM ||||| small.png EHL GM

#52 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

That was ????ing Sick!
Posted Image

#53 Melons

Melons

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

The previous video in this thread showed his flaws. Now here's a video that show's his skills.

Would not be opposed to seeing him center the 2nd line and have Kes on the wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k41asykKL8

All I saw was Kipper crapping the bed. We have enough guys that want to shoot from the blueline/half boards. I want someone who is willing to get dirty and score some goals.

Edit: possibly screened by Giordano, regardless, lots of space to muck around 4-on-4 and vs the flames

Edited by Vicky, 14 March 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#54 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

All I saw was Kipper crapping the bed. We have enough guys that want to shoot from the blueline/half boards. I want someone who is willing to get dirty and score some goals.

Edit: possibly screened by Giordano, regardless, lots of space to muck around 4-on-4 and vs the flames

There is a difference between shooting and scoring from the blueline, at least he gets the job done.

Seems like you're just trying to list off excuses, whether you agree or not the guy has a ton of skill and would drastically improve the 2nd line.

the-blacklist-poster-1.jpg

1190007304.png CDC STHS GM ||||| small.png CDCFL GM ||||| small.png EHL GM

#55 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

One of the players that just rub me the wrong way. I don't want to see him with the Canucks but maybe I can learn to love him.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#56 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,461 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Having physical two way players is all fine and dandy, but we need goals! Ribeiro can help in that aspect.

Two way players score goals - and they defend.

I've heard hundreds and hundreds of times here that what the Canucks need are guys who can score in the playoffs.

Ribiero has 5 goals in 42 lifetime playoff games.

Just to put that in perspective, who of all Canucks, get complained about the most for not being able to produce in the playoffs?

Raymond - has 7 goals in 51 lifetime playoff games.

Raymond on the other hand, isn't a liability without the puck - he actually backchecks and does his best to contribute in other ways.

Ribiero is just plain the worst two way player on the Capitals - and the same was the case last year in Dallas.
He's an overpayment and not what this club needs. His offensive upside is a wash at best when you consider the rest of his game.
MG would be far better off imo acquiring an actual center - with a reasonable contract - a guy who can actually win faceoffs, play hockey in his own end of the ice and chip in with some scoring - or a legitimate winger who does more than provide the odd flash and is otherwise a liability.

#57 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Two way players score goals - and they defend.

I've heard hundreds and hundreds of times here that what the Canucks need are guys who can score in the playoffs.

Ribiero has 5 goals in 42 lifetime playoff games.

Just to put that in perspective, who of all Canucks, get complained about the most for not being able to produce in the playoffs?

Raymond - has 7 goals in 51 lifetime playoff games.

Raymond on the other hand, isn't a liability without the puck - he actually backchecks and does his best to contribute in other ways.

Ribiero is just plain the worst two way player on the Capitals - and the same was the case last year in Dallas.
He's an overpayment and not what this club needs. His offensive upside is a wash at best when you consider the rest of his game.
MG would be far better off imo acquiring an actual center - with a reasonable contract - a guy who can actually win faceoffs, play hockey in his own end of the ice and chip in with some scoring - or a legitimate winger who does more than provide the odd flash and is otherwise a liability.

Well our so called "two way forwards" aren't producing enough. Outside of the Sedins, no one else on the team is on pace for a 50 point season (in an 82 game season) which means we don't have a legitimate 2nd line. 50 points is the absolute bare minimum a true 2nd liner should have in an 82 game season. We have too many two way forwards that are simply not getting it done offensively and that is unacceptable for an "elite" team. Mike Ribeiro can come in and help out offensively, and 5M is not bad for someone on a point a game pace. In fact some would say it's a bargain. We have enough of these 3rd line two way defensive forward type players that we can afford to go after an offense only type player. In fact, it's a necessity because the offense just isn't there right now, and we desperately need another playmaker because no one outside of the Sedins has a high enough hockey IQ to make those clutch passes.
Posted Image

Previously:

#58 Melons

Melons

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

There is a difference between shooting and scoring from the blueline, at least he gets the job done.

Seems like you're just trying to list off excuses, whether you agree or not the guy has a ton of skill and would drastically improve the 2nd line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1LyfjqNNs

You're right, I was a bit too flippant there. He has skill. Is he the answer to our second line woes? I doubt it. Any moves we make have to improve us for the playoffs (where he has been o.k. but not great) and into next season & beyond (33 years old).

I am open for moves, anything to get our 2cd line scoring. Do I think Ribeiro is a fit? No. And I'm not confident that just because we get him he will continue to score. He gets a lot of points on the PP, something I think AV would kill (again with the flippancy--bad habit :rolleyes: ).

#59 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Kesler isn't moving to wing. Period.

The team actually trades AWAY future 2nd/1st line Centers just so Kesler can keep his job there. *coughHodgsoncough*

#60 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Kesler isn't moving to wing. Period.

The team actually trades AWAY future 2nd/1st line Centers just so Kesler can keep his job there. *coughHodgsoncough*

I bet if we actually had another decent Center challenging for the 2nd line, Kesler wouldn't be playing such a scrub.
Posted Image

Previously:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.