The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lil Wayne in critical condition

AriGold

OK, let's take the whole music thing out of it. He's a 30 something acting irresponsibly and mixing drugs that are intended as medicine, not for recreation and pleasure. So let's keep the whole music thing out of it and just call him out for that. Reason enough right there...how about use your time to do something constructive?

And in going back to the music, if you don't think the allure to some of this music IS the theme behind it and not based on quality, you're likely fooling yourself. Here's the deal - no, he's not responsible. But adults need to act responsibly in society, so you just made my point.

He's a 14 year old kid for crying out loud. What he asked for? Pretty heartless.

And yes, I am sympathetic. 14 year olds are fairly impressionable and vulnerable. As adults, we can do two things....set an example for the youth today or relive our own by rapping about stuff that isn't cool and pretending like it is. How many dumb ass rappers are dead? Gangsters? So is that lifestyle cool? Not so much. And last time I checked Michael Vick got busted...if he hadn't, there surely would be young guys who would think it's ok/cool to do so. Maybe not you, but we have young people that emulate what their idols do.

Never mind the "sit your ass down" tough talk. It's not necessary.

Let me get this straight.... People that listen to Lil Wayne for sure SHOULD KNOW that the rap industry glorifies sex, drugs, and money.

So if you fall for that hype and start copying what he does, you have bigger issues than he does!

As for Lil Wayne, I listen to some of his songs, not a huge fan.... But yeah, some may say that he isn't rap have a fair judgement, I feel the same. But give the man some credit, he knows how to sell it.

You can't take the music thing out of it, because that's what the objection to SHM's dumb opinion actually is. SHM is trying to put blame on Wayne because he uses that music to "promote the coolness of" something, and is therefore at fault for the negative things that could be linked back to that "promotion"

If you remove music from it, then Wayne is just another drug addict, and this conversation takes on a whole new meaning. And this whole conversation isn't about the morality of drug use, it's about censorship in art. That's all I've been talking about, anyway. Or at least all I've MEANT to talk about.

Censorship is BS. Free speech is the right of every Canadian and American. I do think, however, that certain things need to be only a part of adult life. Somehow, we need to limit children's access to certain subjects of media until they reach the age of majority (ages 0-19 in Canada, 21 in the US) in their country.

Is this a form of censorship? Yes, I guess it is. Call me a hypocrite. I believe that we are harming our youth by exposing them to media that is meant only for adult consumption.

Because Lil Wayne has 'a lot' of money, he has no obligation to tell your kid to do what he/she should do, Your parents should have more influence, rappers these days will tell you anything to make money, it's their JOB,

I'm a local rapper myself, and sympathize with the youth, so I try to push positive lyrics..when I was 14, I knew right from wrong, ..maybe start using ur brain and advance in life since , with all that technology you have in the palm of your hand, maybe google what side effects this will have on me....and yea, continue to sit ya as down!..

The "death of your cousin" (please note the scare quotes, and please interpret their meaning as you see fit) IS related to Lil Wayne in that his death is the result of his attempt to emulate Lil Wayne. Nobody is denying that. What people are denying is that Lil Wayne has a responsibility to your cousin, simply because he's young and impressionable. He doesn't.

You're suggesting that:

A) Lil Wayne's music be censored, but that would be highly hypocritical, as you've already cited ICP (LOL!) as one of your favourite rap acts, and lord knows they do enough endorsement of rape, drug use, misogyny, murder, violence, etc. on their own.

or

B) Lil Wayne should take direct responsibility for your cousin's death because of the actions of your cousin were influenced by misguided celebrity worship. Would this hold up in court?

The "death of your cousin" (please note the scare quotes, and please interpret their meaning as you see fit) IS related to Lil Wayne in that his death is the result of his attempt to emulate Lil Wayne. Nobody is denying that. What people are denying is that Lil Wayne has a responsibility to your cousin, simply because he's young and impressionable. He doesn't.

Every adult has a responsibility in this life to act within the guidelines of the law and conduct themselves in a way that supports that. This crosses that line. Mixing pharmaceuticals that are intended for medical use in order to use them recreationally isn't within the law. Advertising it as something cool is false advertising.

So he does have a responsibility to conduct himself as a law abiding citizen, no? Not specifically directed "to" Shane or other children - but present nonetheless. So don't ignore that. Or is the fact that he makes horrible music as a bi-product enough to let him off the hook? Because it's art? I can sing about going out and kicking grandmothers in the shins but if I do it, it's a whole other ballgame.

And while he's playing Russian roulette to generate album sales, what if the situation arose where someone's child needed the ambulance that was dispatched to him? Had to wait until it dropped off his sorry butt to hospital. He chose the route there....maybe a cancer victim missed out on their ride? Just saying, this is possible fallout from being selfishly involved in these games. So that's cool too, if something like that were to happen? Just showing you that it isn't as cool as it's being presented and could have all kinds of repercussions that don't just involve the selfish players.

And surprise surprise, his new album drops in a week and a half. Well timed publicity stunt. Garbage.

Again, whether you're in the LW camp or not, show sensitivity to a fellow member who has just experienced a tragic death in the family. No argument you present will justify being insensitive and heartless. Sure, defend your stance but do so wearing the shoes of someone in obvious pain.

My aunt and uncle and my cousins...the youngest one is 6, Shane was the middle child and his older sister Kristen who's 17 live/lived in Charlotte. They are loving parents who will do anything and everything for their kids...so their parenting is not the issue here. Shane idolized Li'l Wayne...had t-shirts, all his music, posters, you name it...for anyone claiming his senseless, needless death as a result of an overdose of high content-codeine cough syrup has no connection to Li'l Wayne and probably others he listened to as well is absurd.

Every adult has a responsibility in this life to act within the guidelines of the law and conduct themselves in a way that supports that. This crosses that line. Mixing pharmaceuticals that are intended for medical use in order to use them recreationally isn't within the law. Advertising it as something cool is false advertising.

So he does have a responsibility to conduct himself as a law abiding citizen, no? Not specifically directed "to" Shane or other children - but present nonetheless. So don't ignore that. Or is the fact that he makes horrible music as a bi-product enough to let him off the hook? Because it's art? I can sing about going out and kicking grandmothers in the shins but if I do it, it's a whole other ballgame.

And while he's playing Russian roulette to generate album sales, what if the situation arose where someone's child needed the ambulance that was dispatched to him? Had to wait until it dropped off his sorry butt to hospital. He chose the route there....maybe a cancer victim missed out on their ride? Just saying, this is possible fallout from being selfishly involved in these games. So that's cool too, if something like that were to happen? Just showing you that it isn't as cool as it's being presented and could have all kinds of repercussions that don't just involve the selfish players.

And surprise surprise, his new album drops in a week and a half. Well timed publicity stunt. Garbage.

Again, whether you're in the LW camp or not, show sensitivity to a fellow member who has just experienced a tragic death in the family. No argument you present will justify being insensitive and heartless. Sure, defend your stance but do so wearing the shoes of someone in obvious pain.

Censorship is BS. Free speech is the right of every Canadian and American. I do think, however, that certain things need to be only a part of adult life. Somehow, we need to limit children's access to certain subjects of media until they reach the age of majority (ages 0-19 in Canada, 21 in the US) in their country.

Is this a form of censorship? Yes, I guess it is. Call me a hypocrite. I believe that we are harming our youth by exposing them to media that is meant only for adult consumption.

It's pretty dumb to blame Wayne about your nephew dying, look at all the songs of the 60's and 70's about drug use. Might as well blame them for all the drug related deaths too.

Blame the kid, blame the parents or his friends or whatever but don't blame Lil wayne. Should his parents have even let him idolize wayne? And probably listen to his music since he was 10-12 years old

Happy Saint Patricks Day to all .. did you know he was credited with driving all the snakes out of Ireland? .. what will it take to expell all the "snakes" from this venue? ..I still see the continuous "gang of bitches" mentality when a weakness is percieved ..

Why of course it persists .. for it is what "they" live for .. something inside their psyche just never developed properly .. karma awaits, and all the personal cowardice in this world will not allow you to escape fate ..

Look deep inside yourselves and try not to pale at what you see lurking within .. :(

It's pretty dumb to blame Wayne about your nephew dying, look at all the songs of the 60's and 70's about drug use. Might as well blame them for all the drug related deaths too.

Blame the kid, blame the parents or his friends or whatever but don't blame Lil wayne. Should his parents have even let him idolize wayne? And probably listen to his music since he was 10-12 years old

You make some valid points and yes, parents are at the front line of overseeing what their kids are interested and involved in. But guess what - as parents, we're also obligated to send our children to school, where they're out of our control and exposed to this stuff via their friends.

That's where the argument is...that the "artists" own some responsibility in acting out their lyrics. Hopefully, we're learning something over the years and back then we also had lead in paint.

So blame everyone except the guy advertising his recipe for coolness? And, possibly, death?

No, he is not solely to blame but the actions of those in the limelight and exposed to our children via TV and music need to be examined if they're living the lyrics. Somebody gonna get hurt. I'm actually for censorship to some degree because I think things are going too far when lyrics transfer over into reality. People die when they use this crap. That isn't cool or songworthy in my mind. But that's a whole other can of worms. Sing whatever you want - but you can't do whatever you want if it's outside the law. And mixing these concoctions certainly is. When these guys "recover" throw their asses in jail. Plenty of time then to come up with some lyrics that make sense. Celebrity or not, you're not above the law.

I disagree that LW music is considered 'advertising'. It's all a relative matter of opinion really. Just because a person is famous they are not bound to any sort of morals that portray themselves in a specific way to the public. Music is really just an extension of who an artist is and much relates to their life. Telling someone because theyre famous now they have to live by YOUR standards and morals doesnt make any sense.

With a very young and impressionable youth the responsibility of their upbringing rests solely on the childs family. Parents should be actively involved and know what their child is up to, at least until the child is old enough and better prepared to deal with life's challenges on their own.

I also don't buy the 'parents can't always watch their kids'. To me that's just an excuse. My single parent on two jobs would always find a way to locate me or know where I was and what I was doing. Even when I wasn't honest with my mother she would find a way. Two parents should be able to handle it. Obviously nothing is perfect and there will always be exceptions.

My first CD I bought was snoop dog 'doggystyle' and 2pac 'all eyes on me' when I was a teen. When Tang as well. I actually had to hide these from my mother because of the language. I wasn't actually allowed to listen to such music due to the language. So even I still listened to it I realized it was wrong and smoking weed or doing things the artists rapped about never crossed my mind once.

Archived