The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[waivers] Jussi Jokinen

86Viking

He had his chance to be used properly, the reason he got bumped down was because he's been playing poorly. Not because of Semin and Staal. There was space in that top 6, he just got demoted to the 4th because he's been bad.

I think I'll take the younger, significantly cheaper, and better Schroeder that we have now, thank you very much.

If the Canucks put a claim on him I think they'll have a decent chance if getting him. Since he's got $3 mil left on his deal for next year I can imagine most teams, even fighting for a playoff spot, will pass.

If the Canucks don't put a claim on him they better have something else brewing or it will be a missed opportunity to get an asset for free.

Really bizarre move by the Canes. Jokinen is a strong possession player, even playing tough minutes. Yeah, his production is down this year, but some of that is luck (his shooting percentage is 4 points below his career average) and bad linemates. He's really versatile, can play all forward positions, great at faceoffs, and can play on the PP and PK. Plus his cap hit is a very reasonable 3 million for next year. Hopefully we put a claim in and hopefully he falls to us!

So instead of wanting a veteran forward who has posted 60pts in this league and respectable numbers in the playoffs. You would rather not even try to claim him to help our lack luster scoring of late, nor improve our shoot out or 2nd pp unit.

Instead you want to rest all of that on a rookie in Schroeder who is on a hot streak now, but I dont expect him to keep his numbers up nor will he be a top 6 forward come the playoffs.

But hey, you have your opinion, I have mine,

A few teams above us are at their 50 contract limit or are at 49 and trying to go after DeKeyser and Laginere. We're apparently a front runner for Laginere and we are at 49 and there are reports we are close to signing Tommernes, Not sure if Gillis will put in a claim and waive someone like Sestito hoping he gets claimed to give us contract space so we can still sign Laginere?

Doubtful he falls to us, but added depth upfront wouldnt hurt. career 0.61ppg player who could play in the top 6 and PP. He has solid numbers the previous 3 years:

230gp 163points. Those are decent numbers, almost as many points as raymond has put up in his entire career. Burrows has 167pts over his past 3 years and he has played with 2 league scoring leaders etc. So if burrows had 10 points in 30 games next year is he considered no longer a good forward to keep around?

I think Carolina should have kept him, especially if they are trying to make the playoffs to loose him for nothing is bizarre, unless they are trying to clear cap space for a big move maybe

Withcraft & Sedinery...... The Canucks do not have any cap problems with regards to adding a player like Jokinen or others at the deadline.

They would have to place Booth and Manny on LTIR but if we are replacing them with salary additions we are able to do that.

The bigger issue is the contract limit but unfortunately we are stuck with contracts to players like Mullen, Desbiens, Rai, Anthony and Stefan Schneider. These guys are all AHL filler.

A few teams above us are at their 50 contract limit or are at 49 and trying to go after DeKeyser and Laginere. We're apparently a front runner for Laginere and we are at 49 and there are reports we are close to signing Tommernes, Not sure if Gillis will put in a claim and waive someone like Sestito hoping he gets claimed to give us contract space so we can still sign Laginere?

Archived