The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Curtis Lazar: The Next Ryan Kesler?

I just read a piece on Curtis Lazar on NHL.com and it got me thinking about how much he reminds me of Ryan Kesler ( hopefully minus the injuries :P ). He is listed as #26 on the North American midseason draft rankings and that seems right about where the Canucks are headed. I think would be the right piece to bolster out center position for the future, and if either Gaunce and Schroeder somehow blossom into a 1st liner then Lazar can move over to the wing as he is comfortable there as well.

Aside from either a miraculous cup run that gives up the 30th pick, or a bombed season and we end up top 10, I think Curtis Lazar is the way to go for the draft.

Anybody Agree/Disagree?

Link to the article: Here

I'd have no objection to picking him. Sounds like he has a lot of good qualities. Unless Zadorov (unlikely I know) or another big RHD is available, he sounds like a solid pick.

Bonus: He's from the Interior and could bring the Cup here when they win :bigblush:

Edit: Put up some decent points in the playoffs last year

If there is a pure offensive, potential first-line center, I would rather take them. We've already got Gaunce and Schroeder, although I am aware of the whole "best player available" mentality. Obviously you're gonna take the best player but the Canucks don't have that pure offensive center in the system.

Not a freaking chance he gets close to Kesler. This is the problem, OP, with forming an opinion of a player from print.... you need to see him play. I've seen a lot of Lazar live and that comparison is way off.

Lazar is not anywhere near a skater that Kes is and doesn't have the body type to play a similar type of game. A closer comparison would be Bozak with a bit more defensive conscience. Lazar is more of a 'Swiss Army knife' type of player but without great scoring upside.

He's going to be a decent prospect, and possibly a good locker room guy, but he will not be a star in the NHL IMHO.

Not a freaking chance he gets close to Kesler. This is the problem, OP, with forming an opinion of a player from print.... you need to see him play. I've seen a lot of Lazar live and that comparison is way off.

Lazar is not anywhere near a skater that Kes is and doesn't have the body type to play a similar type of game. A closer comparison would be Bozak with a bit more defensive conscience. Lazar is more of a 'Swiss Army knife' type of player but without great scoring upside.

He's going to be a decent prospect, and possibly a good locker room guy, but he will not be a star in the NHL IMHO.

Archived