Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Curtis Lazar: The Next Ryan Kesler?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 AllCanucksAllTheTime

AllCanucksAllTheTime

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I just read a piece on Curtis Lazar on NHL.com and it got me thinking about how much he reminds me of Ryan Kesler ( hopefully minus the injuries :P ). He is listed as #26 on the North American midseason draft rankings and that seems right about where the Canucks are headed. I think would be the right piece to bolster out center position for the future, and if either Gaunce and Schroeder somehow blossom into a 1st liner then Lazar can move over to the wing as he is comfortable there as well.

Aside from either a miraculous cup run that gives up the 30th pick, or a bombed season and we end up top 10, I think Curtis Lazar is the way to go for the draft.

Anybody Agree/Disagree?

Link to the article: Here

THIS:

Lecavalier had a terrible season and was flamed into submission for his poor play.

Yet, only 1 player on the Canucks scored more goals than him. That 1 player had 5 more goals (6 more points) but played 8 more games, averaged 6 and a half more minutes of ice a game, and took 107 more shots on net.

Kind of speaks volumes to how ugly the Canucks play was this past season.

#2 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Most overrated prospect in the 13' class imo

the_man_on_the_moon___paul_pogba_by_yupp

#3 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,179 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

reports have it that he's more of an offensive player, then a 2way player like Kesler. He's also not as big, although quite physical, not the same beast mode like Ryan Kesler. Apparently he's more of a Jeff Skinner type according to some experts.

based on what? Some scouts had him in the 2nd rounds. Hardly overrated. I will love to see this B.C Boy get drafted by the Vancouver Canucks.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord, 27 March 2013 - 06:17 PM.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#4 AllCanucksAllTheTime

AllCanucksAllTheTime

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

To me Lazar plays with all the grit and determiniation of Kesler with the potential for a better offensive side. That being said, If Gaunce can improve his footwork we've got a solid defensive center. So between the two prospects I think we have Both ends of the ice covered.

THIS:

Lecavalier had a terrible season and was flamed into submission for his poor play.

Yet, only 1 player on the Canucks scored more goals than him. That 1 player had 5 more goals (6 more points) but played 8 more games, averaged 6 and a half more minutes of ice a game, and took 107 more shots on net.

#5 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,816 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I don't think so. I know the whole family and I'm his younger brothers teacher this year. He is an extremely mature, level headed kid who shows tremendous leadership abilities. I don't think he'll have kesler's offensive upside, but I think he has all the tools to be an excellent NHL player and leader. Though I don't think he'll produce like Kesler, I do think he is a much more unselfish player than Kesler.....the kind of player that makes his team mates better, not worse.

#6 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't think so. I might be a bit of a homer as he played at my school for a year but he defiantly has the potential. He won't be a superstar but he could become a useful second line forward.

#7 Melons

Melons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'd have no objection to picking him. Sounds like he has a lot of good qualities. Unless Zadorov (unlikely I know) or another big RHD is available, he sounds like a solid pick.

Bonus: He's from the Interior and could bring the Cup here when they win :bigblush:
Edit: Put up some decent points in the playoffs last year

Edited by Vicky, 27 March 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#8 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

there wont be a player like ryan kesler EVER

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#9 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

not a very appealing comparison imo. That means we have to wait 6 years for Lazar to break out, have a couple good years, then be as frail as glass by the time he's 28.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 27 March 2013 - 07:00 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#10 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

If there is a pure offensive, potential first-line center, I would rather take them. We've already got Gaunce and Schroeder, although I am aware of the whole "best player available" mentality. Obviously you're gonna take the best player but the Canucks don't have that pure offensive center in the system.

#11 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I don't want another Ryan Kesler drafted in the 1st round. We already got 2 pretty good 3rd line center prospects in Kellen Lain and Brendan Gaunce

#12 AllCanucksAllTheTime

AllCanucksAllTheTime

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Don't forget that Lazar can also play the wing! and aside from Kassian and Jensen we don't have any top wing prospects..

THIS:

#13 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

there wont be a player like ryan kesler EVER

Mike Richards?

Pretty much the same guy.. Except.

Kesler's shot > Richard's shot
Richard's passing > Kesler's Passing

Posted Image

#14 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Mike Richards?

Pretty much the same guy.. Except.

Kesler's shot > Richard's shot
Richard's passing > Kesler's Passing

Richards has had much more success than Kesler and broke out much earlier than him as well.

I would even throw Jordan Staal and Patrice Bergeron in that category as well.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 28 March 2013 - 11:18 AM.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#15 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Not a freaking chance he gets close to Kesler. This is the problem, OP, with forming an opinion of a player from print.... you need to see him play. I've seen a lot of Lazar live and that comparison is way off.

Lazar is not anywhere near a skater that Kes is and doesn't have the body type to play a similar type of game. A closer comparison would be Bozak with a bit more defensive conscience. Lazar is more of a 'Swiss Army knife' type of player but without great scoring upside.

He's going to be a decent prospect, and possibly a good locker room guy, but he will not be a star in the NHL IMHO.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#16 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Not a freaking chance he gets close to Kesler. This is the problem, OP, with forming an opinion of a player from print.... you need to see him play. I've seen a lot of Lazar live and that comparison is way off.

Lazar is not anywhere near a skater that Kes is and doesn't have the body type to play a similar type of game. A closer comparison would be Bozak with a bit more defensive conscience. Lazar is more of a 'Swiss Army knife' type of player but without great scoring upside.

He's going to be a decent prospect, and possibly a good locker room guy, but he will not be a star in the NHL IMHO.

So kinda somewhere between Burrows and Ebbett?

#17 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm just hoping that Ryan Kesler becomes the next Ryan Kesler. Here's hoping!

#18 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,179 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

not a great goal scorer? Strange as hes one of the teams best goal scorer. He's apparently compared to Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#19 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,637 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

I don't want another Ryan Kesler drafted in the 1st round. We already got 2 pretty good 3rd line center prospects in Kellen Lain and Brendan Gaunce

Lain is more of a 4th line guy, and Kesler isn't a 3rd line center.

zackass.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.