The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whites To Become Minority in Metro Vancouver by 2031

DonLever

I can't really think of too many ither cities where overall race relations have worsened rather than improved in the last 20 or 30 years.

IMO it goes back to a lot of resentment having been stirred up on account of exploitative politically favored immigrant ethnic groups.

Mind pointing out a city where there are "great race relations?" Cities like L.A, Sydney, they all have distinct "Asian" communities that have situations very similar to ours.

The cultural divergences we have here in the Lower Mainland are natural, and people need to realize that. When immigrants come to a new country like Canada and can't speak a word of English, the first thing they'll do is look for friends that share the same background as them. I mostly hang out with Asians because it's just easier to relate to them. There aren't any racial motives behind this trend, it's just more convenient.

It's easy to see these divisions at school. I go to UBC and the school is divided right down the line between Whites and Asians. And guess what? There's nothing wrong with it. There's no tension, staredowns, or any of the hyperbolic BS you guys are spewing out in this thread, it's just natural and people just go off into their own culturally homogeneous social groups. No harm, no foul. Overall, I'm not particularly in favour of this trend, but I'm certainly not going to bash it.

Learn English? Easier said than done people. My parents and grandparents don't have time to learn a whole new language when they come to a new country with barely enough money in their pockets. The first thing they do when they get here is work. Yes, the situation for immigrants has gotten much better over the past 40 years or so, the evidence can be seen in our housing markets. But there are still lots and lots of immigrants out there who don't have the time to "adopt" western culture. They need to make a living first and foremost.

And don't be mistaken, a lot of immigrants are making the effort to learn the language now. It's pretty much mandatory now if you're hoping to get a decent job. It's the reason why there are so many more international students now with the English language continually gaining more and more prestige in Asia.

In the end, you white folks are always welcome to come down to Lougheed and visit H-Mart :)

Who cares? I mean isn't everyone a minority in some way or another. Fifty years ago Canada's white population comprised of Protestants, Catholics, Italians, Germans, Russians, etc. But now those distinctions are unimportant and all white people are grouped together.

Who cares? I mean isn't everyone a minority in some way or another. Fifty years ago Canada's white population comprised of Protestants, Catholics, Italians, Germans, Russians, etc. But now those distinctions are unimportant and all white people are grouped together.

I never said it was all gravy out there, but its a fact that just about every other comparable city has improved in the same time period that Vancouver has gone in the other direction.

And what you see in school and was happens out in the real world are two different things.

Sorry but having lots of folks arrive who don't fit in and are a detriment all kinds of ways makes for a city that grows worse by the day, this goes for all the Canadian small town refugees too.

I never said it was all gravy out there, but its a fact that just about every other comparable city has improved in the same time period that Vancouver has gone in the other direction.

And what you see in school and was happens out in the real world are two different things.

Sorry but having lots of folks arrive who don't fit in and are a detriment all kinds of ways makes for a city that grows worse by the day, this goes for all the Canadian small town refugees too.

You mind specifying on how we have actually failed to improve with our multicultural "problem?" You should provide some actual proof to backup your comments.

And seriously? People who don't fit in? So then, who does fit in? In what ways do I have to conform to gain your approval? We're supposed to be a country that embraces multiculturalism. All of that goes out the window when you start complaining about how minorities aren't "fitting in." Again, provide some actual evidence on how minorities are detrimental to our multiculturalism.

Hell, I bet my presence on this board is making you feel a little uneasy.

And finally, grows worse by the day? My god, tone it down a little on the fear-mongering crap would you?

Archived