The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Luongo should get the start from here on

VanNuck

Well he has carried our team for the majority of this season. So this year is pretty good proof that he is a team carrier.

I would compare him to Johnathon Quick. A great american goalie capable of putting on a Conn Smythe worthy preformence in a playoff year and taking his team to a Cup/Finals.

no i think you do! :):):) . i want schneider to start therefore i don't support the canucks' self-destruction, whereas you want luongo to start aka the goaltender with a history of self-destructing in the playoffs. why are you so against giving the younger, more athletic, superior goaltender who has no history of playoff melt downs yet a chance? you talk as if luongo's current situation has any relevance on whether he or schneider should start but shouldn't you always play whoever gives you the best chance of winning?

Finally, goaltending is exactly the same. In the playoffs, the Cup winning goalie hardly ever plays 20-25 games of consistent, great hockey. The Cup winner is however the most clutch goalie in the NHL, and that's what we should aim for now. Schneider has been good consistently, but he's blown it at key pressure times in games lately. This guy hasn't won any big games apart from an AHL championship (forget about that, AHL success does NOT equal NHL success so to me that means nothing). In the meantime, we have Luongo who is a proven big game player. He isn't consistently good, in fact he's very inconsistent, but when he plays well he plays very well and he does it at important times in important games. No one understands big game pressure in the NHL better than Luongo (perhaps only Crosby and Toews are more clutch), which is why Luongo should be our guy in the playoffs.

nah better to start Schneider in the playoff.. i'm more interested to see what happens when the team breaks down nightly and he gives up a bunch of goals.. remember the way we played chicago in the second game? chances are it'll happen quite often as we have witnessed all season.. once Schneiders give up a few then maybe JUST MAYBE they'll come to realize at the end of the day.. it wasn't really the goalies fault.. it was the rest of the team breaking down.. and btw.. we probably shoulda been swept in 4 games against boston with 1/2 of our forward in somewhat healthy shape and 1/3 of our defense missing.. i'm just surprised we didn't get blown out 5-0 in 4 straight.. so Luongo giving up whatever goals he gave up really didn't surprise me.. i'm just surprise it didn't happen in 4 straight games and he had to drag it out to 7 games just to tease us.

If gillis can't trade Lou, then he will use a buyout on him. We can't afford him next year. Schneider will get the nod unless he has a complete meltdown. Anyone who thinks Lou should get the start come playoff time has memory loss, Lou has proven year after year he is not a post season goalie. He is rattled easily. Schneider is out best bet.

If gillis can't trade Lou, then he will use a buyout on him. We can't afford him next year. Schneider will get the nod unless he has a complete meltdown. Anyone who thinks Lou should get the start come playoff time has memory loss, Lou has proven year after year he is not a post season goalie. He is rattled easily. Schneider is out best bet.

Archived