The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian will step-up in the playoffs.

The Secret

we dont need him to be a saviour but atlessed put out the same effort and intencity as these 20 year old kids around the league Kassian is 22 and came into this year with NHL experience. look at the kids on montreal gallagher 20 years old galchenyuk 18 years old if kassian put out half the effort those kids do no one would be complaining. people like to compare stats to other PFs like lucic and bertuzzi and how they didnt put up much points in their first couple years... Lucic came into the league as a 19 year old and Bertuzzi as a 20 year old , both were factors on the ice even when they were not scoring Lucic had 8 goals and 19 assists in his rookie year and faught every tough guy he came across and dished out bone crushing hits night after night and also got 2 goals in 7 playoff games that year as a 19 year old... when he was 20 he scored 17 goals by the time he was 22 (kassians age) he was a force scoring 30 goals and a huge part of a cup winning team. Bertuzzi had 18 goals and 21 assists his rookie year on a crap team. i just wish Kassian at 22 could put out the same effort and had the same effect Lucic did at 19 ..but hes not even close. people keep saying put him with the sedins... hes been getting 4-5 shifts a game with them since hes come back from being benched and it hasnt resulted in anything. atlessed tonight he backed checked hard once and one time he went intot he corner hard and missed his check... still never won any puck battles and couldnt help out the sedins in the cycle.... it was great when he dumped the puck in the corner for raymond to go get it ..isnt it supposed to be the other way around?

I hate hearing that lame excuse, so when hodgson was playing for us was he given big minutes on the top 6? Give me a break hodgson was able to produce playing on the third line at the same age as kassian so find a different excuse cause that one isn't going to work any longer :)

if Kassian AKA "Doug Glatt" could play with the heart and passion of Lappy there would not be a problem. If Lappy had the size of Kassian my word look out. To think he is a top 6 man on this team is a joke. Can we trade Zack for Matt Kassian? If we could have kept, Tanner Glass, Raffi or Volpatti we would not need Kassian.

Remember that age 22 the Sedins were pretty useless and possible busts. Kesler didn't look like he would ever amount to a 3rd liner. Burrows was in the ECHL. Bieksa was on the Moose who looked like he might make it as a 5/6 defenceman if he panned out.

OP what are your reasons for suggesting he will step it up. He already knows his role, don't know why he'll suddenly flip a switch in the playoffs. Kassian obviously needs more time to develop.

Because why would they risk it now, in virtually meaningless games? All they had to do was get in the playoffs, they didn't have to crash in.

Not flip a switch....save the extra for when it's needed. I do believe they've learned something from the past when they've given it 110% PRIOR to the playoffs, only to acquire injuries and be depleted before the duration. I think the mentality is "just do what's necessary" then give it all you've got - when it counts.

Does that not make sense?

Because why would they risk it now, in virtually meaningless games? All they had to do was get in the playoffs, they didn't have to crash in.

Not flip a switch....save the extra for when it's needed. I do believe they've learned something from the past when they've given it 110% PRIOR to the playoffs, only to acquire injuries and be depleted before the duration. I think the mentality is "just do what's necessary" then give it all you've got - when it counts.

Does that not make sense?

Kassian is still a kid, hes about 2 years away from being consistently good. Look how many years it took the Sedins. Booth and Sesito are a waste of a roster spot. I hope Booth has played his last game here, he's completely useless. Sesito is a punching bag, I don't think anyone is scared of this guy.

Maybe if he gets put back with the Sedin's for a couple shifts... :bigblush:

But in all seriousness, he hasn't developed chemistry with much of the other players. I think he was starting to do good with Booth until he got injured, hopefully he can find his stride some time during the playoffs and score some timely goals. Mostly I'm looking for him to play physical and stand up for his teammates while not taking any unnecessary penalties. You know, what he's been doing this entire season? He'll develop when the time is right and play to his full potential, no sooner and no later.. Have some patience people! <_<

Maybe if he gets put back with the Sedin's for a couple shifts... :bigblush:

But in all seriousness, he hasn't developed chemistry with much of the other players. I think he was starting to do good with Booth until he got injured, hopefully he can find his stride some time during the playoffs and score some timely goals. Mostly I'm looking for him to play physical and stand up for his teammates while not taking any unnecessary penalties. You know, what he's been doing this entire season? He'll develop when the time is right and play to his full potential, no sooner and no later.. Have some patience people! <_<

We've all heard about how much Kassian has to learn still, so for the most part I think the team is willing to give him a bit of leeway. Last night's game was a prime example of a tight checking game, without a lot of end-to-end, big hits, rough stuff, highly charged atmosphere, etc, and it's in these games Kassian has to figure out a way to contribute. The playoffs, again, will be another learning experience for him. He has to figure out how to play his game to be effective and utilize his skill set. He will continue to show flashes of what's to come, but you really can't expect him to hit his stride until he's played a full 82 game season in the NHL. Thankfully, time is on his side.

From my perspective, he just looks a little lost when he's on the ice. Part of him seems to want to free wheel with the puck and head staright for the net, like a good power forward, while the other part seems to be telling him not to do too much but try and pass to your team mates. Then a third part seems to want to really hit a player along the boards, but then he seems to let up as if he's wary of taking a penalty and being benched.

I really believe he is not being properly coached, and has too many mixed messages running through his head. Perhaps he should be given a free rein to hit and punish opposing players, and if he takes a penalty, so be it; at least the next time he's on the ice the opposition will have their collective heads up. He does have good speed and has shown some signs of creativity with the puck.

Let him loose, AV.

Cheers.

Archived