126 replies to this topic

#31 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Remember that age 22 the Sedins were pretty useless and possible busts. Kesler didn't look like he would ever amount to a 3rd liner. Burrows was in the ECHL. Bieksa was on the Moose who looked like he might make it as a 5/6 defenceman if he panned out.

This is true but all of the above players skated hard and were hungry. You could name a large group of players that never panned out as well to you list.

#32 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,564 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Pump him up with PED's!!!
Posted Image

#33 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,441 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

OP what are your reasons for suggesting he will step it up. He already knows his role, don't know why he'll suddenly flip a switch in the playoffs. Kassian obviously needs more time to develop.

Because why would they risk it now, in virtually meaningless games? All they had to do was get in the playoffs, they didn't have to crash in.

Not flip a switch....save the extra for when it's needed. I do believe they've learned something from the past when they've given it 110% PRIOR to the playoffs, only to acquire injuries and be depleted before the duration. I think the mentality is "just do what's necessary" then give it all you've got - when it counts.

Does that not make sense?

Posted Image

#34 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Because why would they risk it now, in virtually meaningless games? All they had to do was get in the playoffs, they didn't have to crash in.

Not flip a switch....save the extra for when it's needed. I do believe they've learned something from the past when they've given it 110% PRIOR to the playoffs, only to acquire injuries and be depleted before the duration. I think the mentality is "just do what's necessary" then give it all you've got - when it counts.

You have a valid point for the team but in reference to zack I'm not buying it. The kids a rookie and has looked uninterested on the ice all season long. You can't tell me it's because he was holding back for the playoffs. Was he holding back for this years playoffs during last years playoffs, thinking (I know thinking isnt his thing) if I hold back in the 2012 playoffs and all of the 2013 regular season then in the 2013 playoffs I'm all in!!!

#35 woodywoodman

woodywoodman

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Kassian is still a kid, hes about 2 years away from being consistently good. Look how many years it took the Sedins. Booth and Sesito are a waste of a roster spot. I hope Booth has played his last game here, he's completely useless. Sesito is a punching bag, I don't think anyone is scared of this guy.

#36 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Maybe if he gets put back with the Sedin's for a couple shifts... :bigblush:

But in all seriousness, he hasn't developed chemistry with much of the other players. I think he was starting to do good with Booth until he got injured, hopefully he can find his stride some time during the playoffs and score some timely goals. Mostly I'm looking for him to play physical and stand up for his teammates while not taking any unnecessary penalties. You know, what he's been doing this entire season? He'll develop when the time is right and play to his full potential, no sooner and no later.. Have some patience people! <_<

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#37 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Maybe if he gets put back with the Sedin's for a couple shifts... :bigblush:

But in all seriousness, he hasn't developed chemistry with much of the other players. I think he was starting to do good with Booth until he got injured, hopefully he can find his stride some time during the playoffs and score some timely goals. Mostly I'm looking for him to play physical and stand up for his teammates while not taking any unnecessary penalties. You know, what he's been doing this entire season? He'll develop when the time is right and play to his full potential, no sooner and no later.. Have some patience people! <_<

maybe u missed the 5 shifts a game he gets with the sedins since he has been back from being benched...maybe u didnt notice it because he wasnt doing anything.

#38 alcatrazhockey

alcatrazhockey

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

We've all heard about how much Kassian has to learn still, so for the most part I think the team is willing to give him a bit of leeway. Last night's game was a prime example of a tight checking game, without a lot of end-to-end, big hits, rough stuff, highly charged atmosphere, etc, and it's in these games Kassian has to figure out a way to contribute. The playoffs, again, will be another learning experience for him. He has to figure out how to play his game to be effective and utilize his skill set. He will continue to show flashes of what's to come, but you really can't expect him to hit his stride until he's played a full 82 game season in the NHL. Thankfully, time is on his side.

#39 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I think Kass is awesome. Hes a great young player who needs more time to develop. If he can contribute in the playoffs, great.

#40 singing chef

singing chef

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

From my perspective, he just looks a little lost when he's on the ice. Part of him seems to want to free wheel with the puck and head staright for the net, like a good power forward, while the other part seems to be telling him not to do too much but try and pass to your team mates. Then a third part seems to want to really hit a player along the boards, but then he seems to let up as if he's wary of taking a penalty and being benched.

I really believe he is not being properly coached, and has too many mixed messages running through his head. Perhaps he should be given a free rein to hit and punish opposing players, and if he takes a penalty, so be it; at least the next time he's on the ice the opposition will have their collective heads up. He does have good speed and has shown some signs of creativity with the puck.

Let him loose, AV.

Cheers.

#41 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I don't see how that's bad logic.

Well, for players who have proven year after year that they can step up their game in the playoffs (Lapierre for example) I would agree.

But if we are talking about Kassian I don't think that's a good enough reason to assume that he will step up. Everyone here last year was talking about how we were "saving energy" and going to step up in the playoffs because "it's the playoffs" were proven wrong when the Canucks got defeated in the first round.

That being said, I hope Kassian does step up in the playoffs

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#42 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

Well, for players who have proven year after year that they can step up their game in the playoffs (Lapierre for example) I would agree.

But if we are talking about Kassian I don't think that's a good enough reason to assume that he will step up. Everyone here last year was talking about how we were "saving energy" and going to step up in the playoffs because "it's the playoffs" were proven wrong when the Canucks got defeated in the first round.

That being said, I hope Kassian does step up in the playoffs

Last season they were pushing hard for the PT and looked satisfied and tired when the started the playoffs, I would hardly say they were saving them selfs.

But zack yes he's got nothing to save, if anything he will be sheltered and used sparingly because of his horrible defensive play. I've been wrong before but I think my chances of swimming the English Chanel are better then zack stepping up in the playoffs (I don't swim).

#43 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Everytime I see him with the Sedins he just stands infront of the net, I think Sedins just aim for his stick while he stands there. Not trying to bash but I wanna see him play with Roy and Higgins.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#44 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Kassian isn't doing well now but he is going to step up in the playoffs.

Logic: He is going to do so because it's the playoffs.

:sadno:

You know nothing about hockey then...there are some players who play better in the playoffs than they do in the regular season (Lappy, Higgins...Kesler, Edler. Maybe hes hoping that Kassian is the same way??) Learn the game of hockey before you knock someones opinion. Just saying
Life is short, LIVE IT

#45 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

He better step it up, or he will lose his job

#46 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Kassian is built to be more effective in the playoffs. He'll be determined to finish his checks out there, and in a 7-game series, that won't be fun for any opposing team. He's a Canadian kid, and he knows the importance of the post-season.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#47 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I think he'll do well in the playoffs. Why? Because we will need him to do well in the playoffs.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#48 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

if Kassian AKA "Doug Glatt" could play with the heart and passion of Lappy there would not be a problem. If Lappy had the size of Kassian my word look out. To think he is a top 6 man on this team is a joke. Can we trade Zack for Matt Kassian? If we could have kept, Tanner Glass, Raffi or Volpatti we would not need Kassian.

Lappy is an unintimidating mouthpiece wannabe that takes idiotic penalties at idiotic times. Hes lucky AV has a la crush on him so he has a career....

Everybody is on his wagon cos he scored in a shootout.....cos shootouts win playoff games.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#49 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Lappy is an unintimidating mouthpiece wannabe that takes idiotic penalties at idiotic times. Hes lucky AV has a la crush on him so he has a career....

Everybody is on his wagon cos he scored in a shootout.....cos shootouts win playoff games.

He's a beast in the playoffs, he steps up his game big time when it matters and is always there to defend a teammate.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#50 The Secret

The Secret

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Kassian is built to be more effective in the playoffs. He'll be determined to finish his checks out there, and in a 7-game series, that won't be fun for any opposing team. He's a Canadian kid, and he knows the importance of the post-season.

That is the closest response I've seen as to why he will step-up. I'd like to add that a lot of guys will be told to be more aggressive and that is especially the case for Kass. He will play the best hockey he can when he's being commended for his efforts. Once he plays with the confidence he should and the coaches show trust in him he'll head in the right direction.

#51 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Kassian's powerlevel when it comes to the playoffs will be OVER 9000!!!!!

#52 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Lappy doesn't hurt the team when he is out there playing. He knows where to be and how to finish a check. He is an even for +/- and Kassian is a -7. Lappy has 35 PM, where Kas has 51 PM, I'm sure Glatt has the more idiotic PM. Lappy understands how to forecheck and actually skate hard and back check. Keep 2 hands on the stick and has a lot more hockey smarts then Glatt does.

Edited by canuckelhead70, 21 April 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#53 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

...there are some players who play better in the playoffs than they do in the regular season .....

Agreed.
However,last year showed Kassian completely sucked.Let's hope that he doesn't suck as bad as he did last year-this year.

Edited by nuck nit, 21 April 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#54 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Agreed.
However,last year showed Kassian completely sucked.Let's hope that he doesn't suck as bad as he did last year-this year.

Our whole team sucked and that was before his training in the off season, I'm sure he will be a lot better this year.

I honestly think he's saving his physicality for the playoffs so he doesn't hurt his back again before they start.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#55 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

I feel Kassian will pick it up. He has the tools and make-up for the NHL playoffs. This is why Gillis targeted him. Like a few others have posted, he is still figuring things out. When he does figure it all out, we will have a monster!

#56 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I do like Kas, but I can't see him making an impact this season. He's where I figured he would be when the season started

#57 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,635 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Only if they have been saving energy all season long because all those games prior to getting into the playooffs were meaningless too.

And I really hate to burst your bubble but they played like this last season down the stretch too. They did not put in maximum effort to win the President's Trophy. They lucked out the same kind of wins they are getting now. It is pretty much the exact same scenario.

This team has NEVER turned on a switch in the playoffs. I don't get why people think all of a sudden they will. It is simply wishful thinking not based on any historical evidence at all. You say that is not what you mean but it absolutely is exactly what you are suggesting will happen. That they will find another gear come playoff time. They haven't yet so there is no reason to think this year will be any different.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 21 April 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#58 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

somebody needs to sit Kass down with video of all of Raffi Torres hits from the 2011 playoffs and tell him that's what this team needs from him.if he plays that way he will make an impact.

#59 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Kass reminds me of a pillsbury dow boy...
like somebody said before he looks lost out there..
we needed clowe this year will be another early exit..
unfortunately

#60 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

No, but this sure does:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.