The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you use wrist wraps for support on the bench press or db press?

Are they worth the investment or any tips you guys care to share where I won’t need them?

Edited by HI5

On 5/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, HI5 said:

Curious to see how the fat burner works out for ya! 

It was meh. 

A couple weeks ago I went and bought a $5 bottle of Ephedrine from Reflex  (50 caps for $5, 2 in the morning 2 at lunch with a cup of coffee) and much better results. Well, by results, I mean my workouts have gotten much better from feeling good, so not sure how much of it is "naturally occurring" and how much composition change the ephedrine is doing on it's own, but either way, my workouts have gotten so much better. I also started using HVOL pre-workout (no caffeine, pump based), which has helped big time. I do a couple exercises, get the pump, feel energized, feel good about myself, do even more exercises at higher intensities. It's like a self-sufficient cycle lol

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2018 at 11:52 AM, HI5 said:

Are they worth the investment or any tips you guys care to share where I won’t need them?

I used to use straps when I was working towards my 1RM goals on deadlifts. After awhile they were giving me sore wrists, I was relying too heavily on the straps and the weight of the bar was starting to pull the straps away from my wrists. Stopped using straps and invested in some liquid chalk, stuff was amazing!

Good to see you guys are still in here crushing your goals. I've been hit or miss that last few years on my physically condition, my mental health took a huge toll on that and became a total shell, did not enjoy working out or doing really....anything. Now i'm slowly back trying to get my physical health back in order with recent family medical issues that could definitely arise for me if i'm not careful.

Started a couple weeks ago at 237LBs...almost rock bottom for me. I carry my weight well but finally seeing a couple of recent pictures and just how I felt when I would move around, I had to make a change. I like to keep it simple, just a 5x5 and i'll add accessory as I see fit. I'm doing monday-tuesday-thursday-friday and weekends is mostly accessory work or going for hikes/being generally active. I am already down to 233 and I feel much better. I have been through the ringer before and lost 105LBs back in 2012 when I went from 280 to 175. I have the ability to have weight melt off of me while still keeping a good amount of LBM, i'm just lazy and NEED results.

I am trying to set more short term goals and not let the scale dictate my mood. Weight loss isn't linear, I understand how it all works but sometimes that little digital scale can be a pain in the ass on weigh in days and my main focus is to push past that mental block.

I am squatting 4x per week (not heavy, doing volume) and slowly progressing with weights every single work out. I started VERY low as I had no idea what my body would be capable of any more.

I do not know why it took so long to get back in to the saddle and just be a better me. I am now in a situation where I need to take advantage of my spare time, I have a lot of it right now, and that is no excuse to be a couch potato.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

You have any cut-bulk-cut progress pics?

I had them on my old phone which just pooped and died back in December. Cost wouldn't be worth it to recover all the photos. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I used to use straps when I was working towards my 1RM goals on deadlifts. After awhile they were giving me sore wrists, I was relying too heavily on the straps and the weight of the bar was starting to pull the straps away from my wrists. Stopped using straps and invested in some liquid chalk, stuff was amazing!

Good to see you guys are still in here crushing your goals. I've been hit or miss that last few years on my physically condition, my mental health took a huge toll on that and became a total shell, did not enjoy working out or doing really....anything. Now i'm slowly back trying to get my physical health back in order with recent family medical issues that could definitely arise for me if i'm not careful.

Started a couple weeks ago at 237LBs...almost rock bottom for me. I carry my weight well but finally seeing a couple of recent pictures and just how I felt when I would move around, I had to make a change. I like to keep it simple, just a 5x5 and i'll add accessory as I see fit. I'm doing monday-tuesday-thursday-friday and weekends is mostly accessory work or going for hikes/being generally active. I am already down to 233 and I feel much better. I have been through the ringer before and lost 105LBs back in 2012 when I went from 280 to 175. I have the ability to have weight melt off of me while still keeping a good amount of LBM, i'm just lazy and NEED results.

I am trying to set more short term goals and not let the scale dictate my mood. Weight loss isn't linear, I understand how it all works but sometimes that little digital scale can be a pain in the ass on weigh in days and my main focus is to push past that mental block.

I am squatting 4x per week (not heavy, doing volume) and slowly progressing with weights every single work out. I started VERY low as I had no idea what my body would be capable of any more.

I do not know why it took so long to get back in to the saddle and just be a better me. I am now in a situation where I need to take advantage of my spare time, I have a lot of it right now, and that is no excuse to be a couch potato.

I wish you all the best.

good work.

On 2018-05-15 at 11:52 AM, HI5 said:

Work a labour job for 25+ years.

there will be no issue with grip.

:P

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-05-15 at 2:00 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

It was meh. 

A couple weeks ago I went and bought a $5 bottle of Ephedrine from Reflex  (50 caps for $5, 2 in the morning 2 at lunch with a cup of coffee) and much better results. Well, by results, I mean my workouts have gotten much better from feeling good, so not sure how much of it is "naturally occurring" and how much composition change the ephedrine is doing on it's own, but either way, my workouts have gotten so much better. I also started using HVOL pre-workout (no caffeine, pump based), which has helped big time. I do a couple exercises, get the pump, feel energized, feel good about myself, do even more exercises at higher intensities. It's like a self-sufficient cycle lol

Lol, I guess if you’re not feeling any side effects from the Ephedrine and have increased intensity..keep that $&!# goin! 

6 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Good too hear you’re back in the gym and trying! Keep at it, you’ll get there no time. The small victories along the way have helped me. 

If the scale part gets too you, maybe try taking progress pics instead. Could be that you’re gaining weight on the scale but adding more muscle and actually look better than the scale suggests. 

The one thing with the scale I focused on was weigh ins first thing in the morning, after pissing and before sipping my first glass of water for the day (tedious but helped with consistency and accuracy). I also didn’t weigh myself after refeed days cause I knew it would spike up for the one to two days and throw off my weekly avg weight. 

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Work a labour job for 25+ years.

there will be no issue with grip.

:P

Haha, don’t have an issue with grip strength yet! Though I may need somethin to deal with these calisuses on my hands. 

I may have worded it incorrectly, I went heavier than normal last db press and tweaked my wrist a little and recalled seeing a lot of people wearing wrist supports and was unsure if they’d help me or not.

These are the ones..if anyone has experience or feedback:

BBD2416C-3BC0-465B-B29E-B0F3375AACF5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Opinions on fasting 16/8??

Cals in Vs Cals out at the end of the day.

Give it a go and see if it’s something you can sustain consistently with your lifestyle. 

Found this this morning.  Very inspiring.  With a fair amount of ugly stories in the work these days I wanted to share what good people are doing.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-may-15-2018-1.4662381/meet-the-lawyer-and-marathon-runner-who-creates-safe-spaces-for-others-to-compete-1.4662407

Meet the lawyer and marathon runner who creates safe spaces for others to compete

Stephanie Case has run over 35 ultra-marathons. Along the way, she's encouraging others to join her

CBC Radio · May 15

ultrarunner.jpg
Stephanie Case has ran in over 35 ultramarathons, place in the top five in 20 of those races. (Submitted by Stephanie Case)

Listen24:07

Read Story Transcript

When Stephanie Case first moved to Afghanistan in 2012, people told her she'd have to give up running. For her, that was out of the question.

More in the link.

Edited by riffraff

55 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Found this this morning.  Very inspiring.  With a fair amount of ugly stories in the work these days I wanted to share what good people are doing.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-may-15-2018-1.4662381/meet-the-lawyer-and-marathon-runner-who-creates-safe-spaces-for-others-to-compete-1.4662407

Meet the lawyer and marathon runner who creates safe spaces for others to compete

Stephanie Case has run over 35 ultra-marathons. Along the way, she's encouraging others to join her

CBC Radio · May 15

ultrarunner.jpg
Stephanie Case has ran in over 35 ultramarathons, place in the top five in 20 of those races. (Submitted by Stephanie Case)

Listen24:07

Read Story Transcript

When Stephanie Case first moved to Afghanistan in 2012, people told her she'd have to give up running. For her, that was out of the question.

More in the link.

Anyone who enjoys something like an ultra-marathon is certifiable IMO. 

• Haha 1

Went into Saturday's workout with the goal of benching my own weight for the first time in my life. Loaded up the bar and pumped the weight out 5X5!!!!  Wooohoooo

Stepped on the scale Sunday to find out I am 3 lbs heavier than I thought I was  :(  :lol: 

I think it might be easier to lose that 3 lbs than to up the weight  :unsure: 

I will aim to do both! ::D 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:14 PM, HI5 said:

Lol, I guess if you’re not feeling any side effects from the Ephedrine and have increased intensity..keep that $&!# goin! 

So far no side effects, though I've kept the dosage really low (16mg in the morning, 16mg in afternoon). The "gold standard" dosage is apparently 25 mg 3x/day . 

I don't think I'll ever do that, but I am going to experiment with 24mg in the morning and 24mg in afternoon. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

So far no side effects, though I've kept the dosage really low (16mg in the morning, 16mg in afternoon). The "gold standard" dosage is apparently 25 mg 3x/day . 

I don't think I'll ever do that, but I am going to experiment with 24mg in the morning and 24mg in afternoon. 

Where did you buy your ephedrine?

Went into the supplement store by my gym and asked if they carried any, and the employees there told me that they "legally weren't allowed to carry it anymore", which apparently isn't true in the slightest lol.

Edited by Jägermeister

2 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Went into the supplement store by my gym and asked if they carried any, and the employees there told me that they "legally weren't allowed to carry it anymore", which apparently isn't true in the slightest lol.

I found it right on the Popeyes Canada website, I think they can sell it and nasal decongestant and not pre mixed with caffeine. But you can go in there and purchase caffeine pills and the ephedrine no problem. 

https://www.popeyescanada.com/ephedrine_hcl_pure_8mg_oral_nasal_decongestant_4ever_fit_50_tablets.html

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I may have to give it a try, if my progress stalls over the next month and a half. 

I also know a guy a guy who is trying the “hotnfit” method and is seeing great results..He sent me the link if you’re interested.

https://archive.is/lDCQs

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

At Reflex lol. It's sold as a nasal decongestant (since it is a bronchodilator) and at 8mg/tab dose.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

I found it right on the Popeyes Canada website, I think they can sell it and nasal decongestant and not pre mixed with caffeine. But you can go in there and purchase caffeine pills and the ephedrine no problem. 

https://www.popeyescanada.com/ephedrine_hcl_pure_8mg_oral_nasal_decongestant_4ever_fit_50_tablets.html

I may have to give it a try, if my progress stalls over the next month and a half. 

I also know a guy a guy who is trying the “hotnfit” method and is seeing great results..He sent me the link if you’re interested.

https://archive.is/lDCQs

Never heard of this but thanks I'll give it a try!

Ephedrine at $5 for 50 tabs and caffeine at $8 for 100 tabs, it's a much, much cheaper pre workout/cutter lol

Got a new gross tasting pre workout (beyond yourself), started with deadlifts and near the end of my last set decided to go for for 1 extra rep...

:sadno::picard:

Edited by HI5