The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating (from an unbiased point of view)

westvandude

Enh, the reffing seemed okay at best. I just wish they would call on the Sedins what they called on Couture. The Sedins take so much abuse and yet get no calls. The moment someone brushed Couture yesterday, an arm went up.

There was missed called on both side but what I didn't like it towards the end of the 2nd, the ref seemed to decide to let them play.

Then at the start of the 3rd, Canucs gets called for a cheap (non-hooking) called on Hamhuis. That took away the Canucks momentum from the 2nd and they never seemed to recover.

Usually after a cheap call like that, the Canucks would have had a PP of their own (there as plenty of chances) but no, notthng at all.

The game was called ugly for both sides.

I thought only the linesmen had whistles in the first period, and they were a little too eager to use them on at least one icing call and questionable offsides.

(Besides, if the Sedins are going to be gift wrapped pucks while standing 50 ft from any other player in front of the net and not shoot, there's no point in worrying about getting Power Plays)

Am i the only one who gets frustrated at the inconsistencies of the referees during the playoffs?

They should treat every game the same and not show bias's towards certain teams.

They should follow the rulebook; if a player is being interfered with it should be a penalty...

Also the Kassian penalty last night was garbage, Couture was hit and immediately after looked right at the referee and encouraged/expected there to be a call.

Obviously the officials can't be blamed for the loss, and I know my opinion can't be considered unbiased, but it's absolutly brutal to watch some of the calls.

The Kassian call was BS considering what had been let go. Hamhuis hook was an absolute phantom call and sucked the momentum away from the Canucks. They even had a chance to "even it up" as Kesler got hooked breaking into the zone on the PK, but nope. Missed icings, and offsides... fk off.

SJS got 4 PPs. Canucks got 2 PPs, one of which was a Delay of Game autocall. So in my mind SJS was deemed worth of 4 PPs, Canucks worthy of 1. When the teams are this close in skill these kind of calls can sway the outcome.

However, if the Canucks keep up the physical play and grind it out it they'll have a good chance to win every night. I'm not that worried.

This one is going 7 games.

The officiating was not biased against either team. It was piss poor altogether. I have never seen it wallow to such a low as this year and can honestly say that I am losing interest in the league and the game because of it.

When the rules that dictate the game can't be upheld by the individuals whose sole purpose in being there is to enforce them, we have a problem. The fact that the league is doing anything about it and the NHLPA isn't making a stink is sad.

Kassian and the weise penaltys were so soft! Especially when corrado got hip checked when he didn't have the puck and no call. It's a fast game what the ref sees he sees but when they watch game film which they will they will realize couture made a fool of them and I'm sure they won't like that

Keeping tabs on it right now.

Every series, in 2011, the power play ratio is almost equal, with exception of the Blackhawks Canucks series, were Chicago had 75% more powerplay then we did, by far the biggest difference out of the 8 playoff series going on that season.

I'm gonna keep tab to expose how atrocious the officiating is in this series.

The thing with officiating these days is that every play has a potential penalty. The officials can support a call or non-call in every instance, thus giving them complete control. There is no continuity, so the only thing we can count on is poor officiating, whether it be for or against us (usually against, who are we kidding).

even if they had put their hand up waiting to call, torres hit the puck which would result in the same thing as if they pulled their goalie for advantage on delayed call and shot the puck accidentally into their own net. We didn't touch the puck so play wouldn't stop anyways.

Archived