The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was the turning point of our "window"

Anima

This is exactly what i've been thinking and saying. I hope to heck i'm wrong but i think we'll have to wait for the next incarnation of this team. Why do i say that, because i simply look at the time spans between Cup appearances. Team formed 1970 -12 years - 1982 finals - 12 years - 1994 finals - 16 years 2010 finals - ???? years finals.

I know this is in no way scientific but it does seem to be a trend? It seems like the entire roster and coaching staff has to change before another long run is mad?

This is exactly what i've been thinking and saying. I hope to heck i'm wrong but i think we'll have to wait for the next incarnation of this team. Why do i say that, because i simply look at the time spans between Cup appearances. Team formed 1970 -12 years - 1982 finals - 12 years - 1994 finals - 16 years 2010 finals - ???? years finals.

I know this is in no way scientific but it does seem to be a trend? It seems like the entire roster and coaching staff has to change before another long run is mad?

I think it was losing game 7 of the Finals. I think the players fully realized what a long road it was to get there, and what a long road it would be to get back there. So many things had to go right for us to get all the way to the Stanley Cup final. To come that close and not win...I think it took the wind out of our sails. And to be honest, I don't think the players believe in their ability to get back there again.

They probably saw that as an opportunity lost. And going forward, it's just about playing the game. I don't think they believe they can get back there.

The window for this organization will remain open for many years as we continue to spend to the cap. The window for an AV-coached, Luongo-tended, Sedin-led team, may be closing if we go out early this year.

If the window does close for those guys, I think for AV it's all about getting the team Gillis provides him deep into the playoffs. Sure the Hodson situation and perhaps the mishandling of younger players is a factor, but not if he wins in the playoffs, so you can point to the LA series last year and if we have another early exit...we'll see.

For Luongo and the Sedins, they're just getting older, and as leaders, they've had several kicks at the can now. Eventually in a results-driven business, changes will be made, and Luongo has been through the ringer in a big way here. He is emotionally spent and he didn't try to hide it at the trade deadline.

Losing Ehrhoff was probably the biggest loss for the team, and barely getting anything in return didn't help.

Ehrhoff's speed and unpredictability was one of the driving forces behind our PP. He does get a lot of flak for his defensive lapses but the offence he brought was something else. Ehrhoff's speed allowed him to do something other than making a drop pass when entering the zone. He could control the play and draw in defenders, freeing up the Sedins to work their magic.

Nowadays, everyone clogs up at the blue line and makes a predictable drop pass that is often intercepted, which means we have to reenter the zone all over again.

Of course, having hindsight is beneficial. I, personally, was part of the "let Ehrhoff go and keep Bieksa" camp. I didn't realize the plusses Ehrhoff brought to the team until it was too late....

Also, another change I've noticed is MG's policy on contracts. After the media began to rip him for Luongo's contract and the Ballard trade MG grew scared to make big moves.

After SCF. That was our year, we had everything going our way until the SCF when Hammer went down, players got injured, Rome got tossed and the Bruins got fired up.

Let's be honest, Sedins have almost, if not already, plateaued.

Kesler is NOT the 40 goal scorer most Nuck fans thinks he is. It was a career year and he'll never match it again, especially if he keeps getting injured.

We traded a strong depth and offensive center in Cody for an in-the-works, shows potential but seems to lack development in Zack

On the plus, we have at LEAST 4m going this year in the summer whichever goalie we trade. There's always trade, everyone talks about buying out Ballard/Booth/re-signing Roy etc.

Honestly as long as that window is open you never know what could happen, look at LA last year. Without Quick playing out of his mind the Kings wouldn't have made it past us, much less the SCF. Just way too many variables to say a window is closing/opening.

As a few others have said, as long as you make the playoffs the window is open.

People forget that the 94 team barely made the playoffs and just about lost the first round. It's all about getting hot at the right time. I don't know what's going to happen this year, or what's going to happen next season.

Look at Detroit. That's 22 straight playoff appearances. You don't necessarily have to go through a boom and bust cycle.

IMO the window is closed with this current group of Canuck players. There is a bad aura around this group.

The Canucks have 2 options and both for the betterment of this team and both involve changing the aura:

1. Keep the core players but bring in good, strong character support players. Trade away some of the old players to bring in younger players. This would have the Canucks still be competitive, the retool.

2. Trade the main players and build a new core. This would not be done in a season but in a couple. If the Canucks do this right, they should be in good shape in shorter time than a team rebuilding from scratch like the Oilers.

Window seemed to begin closing after the January 2012 game against Boston. The team was so emotionally invested into that game and came out on top, they probably thought they had exercised their Game 7 demons and couldn't be stopped. Problem was the intensity, teamwork and emotion started to fade afterwards. The powerplay was #1 in the league after that game and didn't have a slow decline, it lept off the cliff and couldn't climb back up. I think the team started to believe their own hype and thought they could coast to a 3rd Presidents trophy and just "turn it on" when it mattered in the playoffs this year.

The LA series that year was a punch in the throat and most didn't see it coming, at least not LA jumping to a 3-0 lead. The San Jose series was a kick in the balls for those that expected the team would turn it around.

Changes will be needed and I expect it to be years before this team is considered a contender again.

The window isn't closed. If you look at the pieces we let go you'll realize why we've struggled.

Thinking that you can win without a good third line center and a powerplay QB is wishful thinking.

Big reasons we were good in 2011 and 2012:

Good secondary scoring wingers

Great third line centers

Powerplay QB's that could consistently get pucks on net

We had decent secondary scoring this season but it wasn't enough. We had third line players playing as second line players, and Booth just could not fit into the team. He never filled the hole that Samuelsson left.

We had Malhotra and Hodgson playing great in 2011 and 2012 which is why we were a top team and scored lots. Trading Hodgson at the deadline for Pahlsson killed our depth scoring. And going all this season without a regular third line center never allowed our third line wingers to get in a groove.

Letting Ehrhoff go hurt, but we were still good cause we had Salo, who was a great powerplay QB. Letting him go pretty much ruined our top powerplay because the natural chemistry the Sedins had with him was gone. Garrison has been alright, but he just can't get the puck on net like Salo did. Good thing is Garrison is still a great defensive defenseman. But we need a top PP QB.

All these things can be replaced, and I'm hopeful Gillis can address these needs.

Archived