The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Fair enough. But either way, they rarely got put out there if the draw was in the D-zone, never asked to kill penalties, and rarely asked to spend time defending. They were given every chance to focus on offense. Time for all players to start contributing to all parts of the puzzle IMO.

Why put your best offensive players on the wrong end of the ice if you have better players for that situation (Kesler/Manny)? A good coach put players in position to succeed.

Also Hank took a ton of D-zone faceoffs this last year with no Manny or Kes available.

Sorry but you're just way off base on all of this information starting with your out to lunch assessment of their playing time.

Yeah, I agree. I also don't think that Tortz will have a problem with the Sedins. Those guys always work hard.

I hope Tortz snaps some sense into bieksa and edler. Especially Bieksa after his accountability comments to end the season. Have fun, Juice! :lol:

Torts likes defensemen who are physical and block shots, especially ones who can contribute offensively.

Edler led the defense in Hits and blocks. He was 2nd in scoring. Juice missed some games, but still finished 2nd in hits and his shot blocking per game was third behind Edler and Tanev. He managed to finish 4th in defense scoring, despite playing about 10 less games than the three guys in front of him.

I support Torts being our coach on two conditions:

1. He doesn't treat the media like dogs. The reporters have a job to do and it's disrespectful to yell at them and humiliate them publicly

2. He treats the players like adults and not kids.

But here's why I like him as coach:

He's a blue-collar guy. AV gave the Sedins 25+ minutes of ice time EVERY game, no matter how they were playing. Torts won't do that. If another player or another line deserved more ice time, he'll give them that. He'll reward players for earning their stripes.

The Canucks have become far too prissy. They don't work hard for their chances. No blocked shots, no battling in the dirty areas. They just want everything to come easy to them.

No more. Time to start earning every inch of ice and every chance on net. Time to start working hard again.

This, this, this.

Well said. People are focusing too much on the fact that he yells and curses. If he can come in and instill that work ethic the Canucks are better off for it.

I support Torts being our coach on two conditions:

1. He doesn't treat the media like dogs. The reporters have a job to do and it's disrespectful to yell at them and humiliate them publicly

2. He treats the players like adults and not kids.

But here's why I like him as coach:

He's a blue-collar guy. AV gave the Sedins 25+ minutes of ice time EVERY game, no matter how they were playing. Torts won't do that. If another player or another line deserved more ice time, he'll give them that. He'll reward players for earning their stripes.

The Canucks have become far too prissy. They don't work hard for their chances. No blocked shots, no battling in the dirty areas. They just want everything to come easy to them.

No more. Time to start earning every inch of ice and every chance on net. Time to start working hard again.

While I completely agree with your second point, I completely disagree with your first.. lol The media around here are scum, they deliberately ask questions they know are gonna make the coaches and management uneasy. They try to cloud the judgement of the fans and all together are a lot of the reason we're even in this situation in the first place.

The way they handled and blew up the goaltending situation in Vancouver is pretty much the main reason we're having problems! Sure it's up to MG to solve our problems, but like he says all the time; it's easier said than done and things take time. I wanna see Torts go right into them, take no crap from anyone and let our players just focus on playing hockey! :frantic:::D

While I completely agree with your second point, I completely disagree with your first.. lol The media around here are scum, they deliberately ask questions they know are gonna make the coaches and management uneasy. They try to cloud the judgement of the fans and all together are a lot of the reason we're even in this situation in the first place. The way they handled and blew up the goaltending situation in Vancouver is the main reason we're having problems! Sure it's up to MG to solve our problems, but like he says all the time, it's easier said than done and things take time. I wanna say Torts go right into them, take no crap from anyone and let our players just focus on playing hockey! :frantic:::D

That's one of the few things I actually like about Torts...lol

Why put your best offensive players on the wrong end of the ice if you have better players for that situation (Kesler/Manny)? A good coach put players in position to succeed.

Also Hank took a ton of D-zone faceoffs this last year with no Manny or Kes available.

While this is true, the Sedins have to do their share of defending as well. They were touted as solid 2 way players early in their careers, but over the last few years that has changed as they weren't often asked to play that role.

As our best players, they must be dependable on both ends of the ice.

I am excited to see if he can make this defense finally play to it's strengths on a consistent basis. If he can, we will be much better off for it. We sign a player like Ryan O' Byrne to take the place of Ballard, and we are set. Gillis will be acquiring a forward or two this summer. This is really starting to look good. Things are happening!

While I completely agree with your second point, I completely disagree with your first.. lol The media around here are scum, they deliberately ask questions they know are gonna make the coaches and management uneasy. They try to cloud the judgement of the fans and all together are a lot of the reason we're even in this situation in the first place. The way they handled and blew up the goaltending situation in Vancouver is the main reason we're having problems! Sure it's up to MG to solve our problems, but like he says all the time, it's easier said than done and things take time. I wanna say Torts go right into them, take no crap from anyone and let our players just focus on playing hockey! :frantic:::D

Here, here! Exactly! Thank you Kesler's Nose. Tortorella is the man for the job.

Also, I wonder if the is biased about keeping Luongo here as they are both Italians.

Maybe Gillis will use this coaching change as a leeway to all the sudden go 180 on us with the goalie situation.

EDIT: Seriously, Gillis is surrounded by Italians... Lu, Aquilini, and now maybe Torts...

While this is true, the Sedins have to do their share of defending as well. They were touted as solid 2 way players early in their careers, but over the last few years that has changed as they weren't often asked to play that role.

As our best players, they must be dependable on both ends of the ice.

Sure they should (and do) be able to play D but playing them just as often in the D zone as the O is stupid. It's a poor use/utilization of resources.

Sure they should (and do) be able to play D but playing them just as often in the D zone as the O is stupid. It's a poor use/utilization of resources.

Hey man, Manny had a 100 mile / hour slapper that was under utilized!

Here, here! Exactly! Thank you Kesler's Nose. Tortorella is the man for the job.

Reportedly a done deal, man. lol And hey, everyone already hates us... Let's at least have someone who will stand up for us! The man is not afraid to speak his mind, he was my second choice behind Dallas Eakins. (Who is no longer available, obviously)

It's crazy how badly I want us to prove people wrong and see change here in Vancouver, it's gonna feel good to stuff it right in their faces.. Torts is the man for the job now, so I'm standing behind him 100%. The Sedin's are tougher than every other teams fan base will give them credit for, they will handle it as professionals and may even thrive under Tortorella's new system! Either way, I can't wait. ;)

Torts likes defensemen who are physical and block shots, especially ones who can contribute offensively.

Edler led the defense in Hits and blocks. He was 2nd in scoring. Juice missed some games, but still finished 2nd in hits and his shot blocking per game was third behind Edler and Tanev. He managed to finish 4th in defense scoring, despite playing about 10 less games than the three guys in front of him.

To compare all the dmen on the team in terms of hits and blocks it is more useful to use per minute of ice time as obviously not all of them get the same amount of minutes per game. This does not of course adjust shot blocks for more PK time (which is when a lot of blocks happen for D) but it is a reasonable way to see just who does what overall when they are on the ice.

Ranked according to hits per minute of ice time

1. Alberts

2. Ballard

3. Edler

4. Bieksa

5. Hamhuis

6. Garrison

7. Tanev

Ranked according to blocks per minute of ice time

1. Tanev

2. Alberts

3. Edler

4. Bieksa

5. Ballard

6. Hamhuis

7. Garrison

Points from the D are a direct reflection of their role and their opportunity though. So of course the top 4 point guys will be Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, and Bieksa. That is not really a surprise to anyone though I don't think.

Well, Torts has a Stanley Cup ring I guess.

But so did Crawford....

If the team is going to rebuild, now is the time. At least Torterella would keep the pressers interesting and entertaining if this team decides it wants to gut itself.

The team that Crawford had could have been coached to a Stanley Cup by a half trained monkey! Was so deep in talent, it would have won the cup with John Shannon behind the bench!

Because we "missed out" on....who exactly?

Not saying we missed out on anyone. For all I know, Torts was they guy they were planning on picking up the whole time. I am hoping that's the story, as opposed to management waiting too long and, as you suggested, we "missed out" on management's number one choice. I don't think hiring Tortorella is a bad choice. What I don't want to hear is that the team "settled" on him.

Archived