The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

We wasted a great team on this moron of a coach.

Zero skill to motivate the team, zero skill to adjust to the strategy of an opposing team during the playoffs.

It was so heartbreaking and maddening at the same time to see AV fail to bring out the true potential of this team.

I just hope it isn't too late for this group to go all the way with a truly skilled coach.

Tippett is actually a very good offensive minded coach contrary to popular belief. He only became a defense first coach in Phoenix because that's what it took to win games.

In LA when he was brought in as an assistant coach, he turned a 25th ranked powerplay into a number 1 ranked powerplay in 3 years. And he took a 24th ranked offense and transformed it into a top 10 ranked offense.

Then when he was hired by Dallas he coached the team to a 21 point improvement in his first season. And also turned their 15th ranked offense into a 6th ranked offense and a number 8 ranked powerplay into a 5th ranked powerplay.

He also has had good success coaching younger players as he coached the Houston Aeros to a Calder Cup (Turner Cup) in 1999 and was named coach of the year.

The only time he's reverted to defensive trap styles is when he was given poor rosters due to the teams financial positions. Don't be fooled though, the guy knows how to utilize skilled players, and definitely knows how to run a powerplay.

^^

Like seriously, do most of you even watch hockey outside of the canucks ? Stop regurgitating eachothers and botchfords garbage journalism. We'd be very LUCKY to land Tippett.

Some interesting tweets from Willie regarding AV getting fired

Willie Mitchell@Willie_Mitch3323h

"Listen SON" you will land back on your feet in no time @kbieksa3 @Ryan_Kesler @strombone1 #canucks #avfired #nhl

Willie Mitchell@Willie_Mitch33

22h

In all seriousness, good luck to #AV & #Bones -one of the nicest men in hockey. #canucks #nhl #avfired #howAVdoes"son"

Mitchell pouring it on AV. On the the team1040 they were saying Willie and AV never got along...never knew that

"He [Vigneault] wants me in the lineup," Mitchell said following Tuesday’s skate at the Pacific Coliseum. "He's a coach. He doesn't know how I feel, he doesn't feel my pain, he doesn't feel those things.But at the end of the day he knows if I'm out on the ice I'm going to help the team win, so he wants me out there."

“You know what, he’s got doctor’s clearance,” Sutter told the LA Times. “He’s got trainers’ clearance. Coaches want him to clear himself.

“So do it.”

Is that terseness or bluntness from the bench boss?

As for Mitchell — well, this isn’t the first time he’s been overly cautious about returning from injury. He suffered a concussion while playing in Vancouver and, after recovering, reflected on the pressure and stress he felt about returning to the ice.

“Everywhere I’d walk: ‘How’s your head? How’s your head?” Mitchell told the Times back in January 2012. “That’s the last thing I wanted to talk about. I just wanted to disconnect from that.

“So that’s what I did. I went to my place in the middle of nowhere in the forest and just chilled.”

While he’s not living in wooded isolation this time around, Mitchell says he’ll still be coming back on his terms.

“I don’t want to get out there and be a liability to my defense partner, to my teammates, to my coach,” he said. “When I come back I don’t want to come back, play the next couple of games and then [the knee] swells up and be out.”

Seems like coaches in general tend to want their players back - especially a crucial guy like Willie - particularly when they are under pressure to win - while Mitchell stands by his right to play when he feels he is ready - and in reality he's the guy who actually knows best in that sense.

I understand where they're both coming from. If I were Mitchell (or another player) I'd want to be careful with my body, mind and future as well - fully respect that he has put down boundaries where that is concerned.

If I were a coach - I'd be constantly wondering where Willie is, when is he back... goddamn I need that guy...

Farewell to the best coach Vancouver has had.

Of course you have callers like the goof on 1040 yesterday saying that AV is simply a product of the team that he inherited. Which is complete nonsense. If we're to use his logic, then Babcock is a product of the team he inherited and nothing more. Fact of the matter is regardless of the team you inherit, you still actually have to be an exceptional coach to have success with that team.Even though we didn't win in 2011, this team has kicked ass dominating in the regular season and was an unstoppable force until the second period of game 3 in the SCF when the well oiled machine started falling apart.

Farewell to the best coach Vancouver has had.

Of course you have callers like the goof on 1040 yesterday saying that AV is simply a product of the team that he inherited. Which is complete nonsense. If we're to use his logic, then Babcock is a product of the team he inherited and nothing more. Fact of the matter is regardless of the team you inherit, you still actually have to be an exceptional coach to have success with that team.Even though we didn't win in 2011, this team has kicked ass dominating in the regular season and was an unstoppable force until the second period of game 3 in the SCF when the well oiled machine started falling apart.

:picard: :picard: wow, you must be related to AV to be this blind. But feel free to move on to whatever team he will hold back next.

I'd be more ok with Tippett than Lindy Ruff.

I really don't think a young guy could get through to this core. They are really set in their ways.

Part of me wishes Torts would come in and crack some heads though.

That would be AWESOME.

Forget the game, I'd only be watching for the media scrum afterwards!

I'm sure by Jan/Feb, Torts would literally (yes, I know the difference between literally and figuratively, and I mean literally) pull a "journalist"'s arm off, and beat him to death with it.

Here is one off in space.

Pär Mårts. I doubt any of you have heard of him. He just coached sweden to their gold medal win with the sedins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A4r_M%C3%A5rts

Awards [edit]

• Gold medal as assistant coach at the 1992 World Championships.
  • Silver medal as assistant coach at the 1993 and 1995 World Championships.
  • Bronze medal as assistant coach at the 1994 World Championships.
  • Olympic gold as assistant coach in 1994.
  • Elitserien playoff winner as head coach for HV71 in 2004.
  • Swedish Coach of the Year in 2004.
  • Silver medal as head coach at the 2008 and 2009 U20 World Championships
  • Bronze medal as head coach at the 2010 U20 World Championships
  • Elitserien silver medal as player in 1978

Seems like a good coach. Was a hell of a player. Only problem might be if he didnt speak english.

If Gillis is serious about playing a skilled team next year then he might be able to get that team off the ground.

Here is one off in space.

Pär Mårts. I doubt any of you have heard of him. He just coached sweden to their gold medal win with the sedins.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Pär_Mårts

Awards [edit]

• Gold medal as assistant coach at the 1992 World Championships.
  • Silver medal as assistant coach at the 1993 and 1995 World Championships.
  • Bronze medal as assistant coach at the 1994 World Championships.
  • Olympic gold as assistant coach in 1994.
  • Elitserien playoff winner as head coach for HV71 in 2004.
  • Swedish Coach of the Year in 2004.
  • Silver medal as head coach at the 2008 and 2009 U20 World Championships
  • Bronze medal as head coach at the 2010 U20 World Championships
  • Elitserien silver medal as player in 1978

Seems like a good coach. Was a hell of a player. Only problem might be if he didnt speak english.

If Gillis is serious about playing a skilled team next year then he might be able to get that team off the ground.

Oh snap he speaks english.

Archived