The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Brad Richard gets bought out, would you?

Italia2006

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Richards won't be bought out. Because when the Rangers place him on waivers prior to buying him out, I think a team will pick him up.

Why would a team do this?

1) He's only 33 - and just turned 33 this month - should still have a lot of hockey left in him.

2) He has had a bad stretch before (in Tampa...also for Torts), but picked his game up.

3) Although he has a 9-year, 60-million dollar contract, 24-million of it has already been paid out - so it is essentially now a 7-year, 36-million dollar contract (2-years and 4.5 million less than what Luongo has left).

4) The amnesty buyout is still available at the end of next season, so if he continues to blow, he can still be bought out without penalty.

5) Where else are you going to get a decent top-line center for zero assets?

It would be a team with cap space and money to blow, who may not be a top destination, so they wouldn't really have a shot at him for cheaper in free agency. Perhaps the Flames? Feaster wanted him before...

EDIT...One wrench that might get thrown into that is Richards' NMC. Does that mean he can't go on waivers? Do the Rags just take him directly to buyout? Rumour was that Richards almost went there anyway. Perhaps Richards agrees to a trade, perhaps for a smaller contract that the Flames wanted to buy out anyways? (Stajan? Only has 2.5 left on contract.)

Actually, I like that more. I suggest that Richards gets traded to Calgary in the off-season for Matt Stajan, and maybe a pick/prospect.

His NMC does mean that he can't be put on waivers, but the other scenario you point out makes sense - I could see Calgary taking a chance on him as shallow and makeshift as they are down the middle, and their experiment (Cervenka) having bolted.

I'd easily give him 4 million per season for 2 years. But forwards are the least of our problems. We need Shea Weber. Plain and simple. We need that #1 all-around defense-man who can log top minutes while producing on both ends of the ice consistently. Not to mention he's a BC boy.

He is going to play for a new coach in New York.

I'd easily give him 4 million per season for 2 years. But forwards are the least of our problems. We need Shea Weber. Plain and simple. We need that #1 all-around defense-man who can log top minutes while producing on both ends of the ice consistently. Not to mention he's a BC boy.

If NYR loses and Tortorella gets fired, should we consider him as a possible candidate for head coach?

It would definitely bring a much different attitude for this team.

Richards is washed up. Sure it's possible if he goes to another team he'll produce again, but it's a risk I don't think the Canucks can afford to take right now. Too many albatross contracts on the team right now, we need cheap players that produce! (aka prospects like Tanev, Corrado, etc).

If he was willing to take a low salary, then I would take a flyer on him. As a winger, not center. I would put him with Kesler. Not likely going to happen though as some team, cough, Toronto, cough, will overpay if he gets bought out.

No way he waives his NMC to go to a team as awful as Calgary. What's in it for him? If he forces a buyout he gets a nice payday and the chance to go to any team he'd like. Not to mention he gets to stick it to his old team.

Archived