The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At least we make the playoffs

Van bc

Half the teams in the NHL have never won the Stanley cup and they are happy to watch a NHL team in their home town compete year after year. Why should us canuck fans feel any different about our mediocre team what makes us more special to complain that we don't have what only half the teams in the NHL have? we have a NHL team that should be enough to remain a fan. Do you think the Flame and OIler fans would rather have their multiple cups or keep there teams? they would quickly keep their teams then past victories i'm sure. Winnipeg seems pretty happy with having won the same amount of cups as us and they don't even make the playoffs. Why do us canuck fans consider ourselves so special? no wonder the rest of the league hates and laughs at us

It all comes down to expectations, the Canucks have had 3 cores that could have won the cup in the last 25 years. The current one in my opinion the best of the three. Yet they fail every time. The reason I believe most people are pissed off is (specifically the fans that have been watching the team the last 25 years) we know its very likely that its going to take 5-10 to build another core that will have a chance to win the cup and most likely fail yet again.

The years our team sucks and is rebuilding the core we all know a trip to the playoffs is a treat and we except a first round loss accordingly. But to watch what alot of people believe to be the last couple chances this core had at a cup and they come out and play like they don't care. Its hard to take because now we likely face a few more years of decline followed by a bunch of years rebuilding.

Flip side. I live in North Carolina...home of the Carolina Hurricanes, who actually HAVE won a Cup. The difference is, that we Canucks fans are by and large way more passionate about our team and the interest and pressure...don't forget the pressure..to win..is astronomical, compared to Canes fans for example. Has nothing at all to do with remaining a fan...I've been watching the Canucks (from afar) for 22 years now. I get tired of watching the same movie over and over again with the same disappointing ending.

Hey bud...if you don't like the guy that's fine...but anyone who doesn't appreciate the contributions the band made to music just because of an allegation is REALLY narrow-minded. Jim Morrison pissed on a live crowd in Miami and was arrested for indecent exposure...does that mean you no longer like The Doors? Get over yourself.

It all comes down to expectations, the Canucks have had 3 cores that could have won the cup in the last 25 years. The current one in my opinion the best of the three. Yet they fail every time. The reason I believe most people are pissed off is (specifically the fans that have been watching the team the last 25 years) we know its very likely that its going to take 5-10 to build another core that will have a chance to win the cup and most likely fail yet again.

The years our team sucks and is rebuilding the core we all know a trip to the playoffs is a treat and we except a first round loss accordingly. But to watch what alot of people believe to be the last couple chances this core had at a cup and they come out and play like they don't care. Its hard to take because now we likely face a few more years of decline followed by a bunch of years rebuilding.

It's frustrating, our expectations are high, but rightly so. Just 2 years ago, this version of the Canucks was touted as the best team in the league. A Stanley Cup just seemed to be ours for the taking. That 2011 SCF took more than a physical toll on the core group of the Canucks, we lost our mojo, our confidence. We want this team to get off the mat and fight like it use to, like it can. This once cocky, confident, loose group looks up like a shadow of it's former self, beaten up and never fully recovered. Hopefully, a new coaching staff will restore this group to play up to their ability and talent, which I believe they still have.

Making Playoffs/Losing first Round

Pros:

If it was a tight series and you lose in 6-7 it means you were competitive. Especially if that team moves to the conference finals or Stanley Cup.

Gives you playoff experience.

Cons:

If you get swept all it means is you're not competitive, and need to re-evaluate your team.

You get a worse draft pick.

Missing the Playoffs:

Pros:

You get a top 14 pick.

Your fans can move on early to other activities.

Lots of time to prepare for the draft.

Cons:

Your team isn't good enough to get in the playoffs which means you need lots of work to improve your team.

Brings in a losing atmosphere. (Very bad!)

Fans in this market are impatient, and do not comprehend "rebuilding", even if it does lead to long term success down the road.

GM's/Coaches more likely to be fired making it harder to rebuild and have a consistent plan.

With all the skill and presidents trophies and division titles we've had in the last 3 years, nobody should be happy we "at least make the playoffs". The NY Islanders should be happy they "at least made the playoffs" They should be ecstatic that they also won 2 games against (arguably) the best team in the league. Yet with all our star power and experience, we can't even muster one win? Bullshyte!!

I've been a fan of the Canucks since the 80's and we have had good and bad teams over the years.(mostly mediocre) I would rather watch a team that is mediocre but gives 100% every night then a team who believes they deserve to win on paper but loses because they refuse to sacrifice as much as their opponents.

Archived