The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cheerios Commercial Featuring Biracial Family Sparks Racist Backlash

nuckin_futz

Keep in mind that these are YouTube comments we're talking about. The users can be entirely anonymous if they want to be and many of them are just there for quick laughs -- feigning racism is an easy way to get them. It's not a reliable reflection of society as a whole.

I think people who look at someone and see their 'race' vs just another person have serious social problems.

Oh and last time I checked, we're all part of the same RACE, the human race

:towel:

I thought so too until I joined these message boards. Now I'm not so sure everyone here is human.

I think I've said it here before that if Michelle Obama had been white, he wouldn't have been elected, or possibly not even have gotten a nomination.

That's just how it is down there, however before anyone gets on their politically correct high horse about this facet of American society, ask how many minority leaders do you see in positions of power and celebrity in other Western countries?

I think I've said it here before that if Michelle Obama had been white, he wouldn't have been elected, or possibly not even have gotten a nomination.

That's just how it is down there, however before anyone gets on their politically correct high horse about this facet of American society, ask how many minority leaders do you see in positions of power and celebrity in other Western countries?

If I had a daughter and she wasted on all those cheerios by pouring them on me when I slept, I would smack her across the face, no matter what colour she was.

You serious?

What does Michelle Obama have to do with anything with regards to BARACK OBAMA being President?

There are definitely some, if you'd actually look for them.

Arnold Schwartzenegger, for starters, LOL.

There was also a Japanese mayor in a small town in California.

Keep in mind that these are YouTube comments we're talking about. The users can be entirely anonymous if they want to be and many of them are just there for quick laughs -- feigning racism is an easy way to get them. It's not a reliable reflection of society as a whole.

An adorable Cheerios commercial featuring an interracial couple and their daughter generated such a strong racist backlash on YouTube that the comments section had to be closed.

The ad had received more than 1,600 likes and more than 500 dislikes as of Thursday evening.

Prior to the closure, the comment section had been filled "with references to Nazis, troglodytes and racial genocide." according to Adweek.

Commenters on the cereal's Facebook page also said they found the commercial "disgusting" and that it made them "want to vomit." Other hateful commenters expressed shock that a black father would stay with his family.

However, many took to Facebook to express their appreciation for Cheerios' decision to feature a mixed-race family.

"Having been mixed in the '70s, I'd like to thank everyone at Cheerios for making a commercial with an interracial couple! Going to buy boxes today! Many thanks for reflecting what my family looked like," Beschelle Lockhart posted Monday.

"Just watched your commercial with the biracial family. Beautiful. Thank you so much," Alexandra Burt wrote.

Cheerios was unfazed by the racist Internet backlash. "Consumers have responded positively to our new Cheerios ad. At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all," Camille Gibson, Cheerios vice president of marketing,told Gawker.

http://youtu.be/kYofm5d5Xdw

What a shame. It's 2013 and we can't get past this kind of crap.

Yes that's precisely what Kendal Powell, CEO of General Mills WANTS you to do. He even went so far as to say that the GMOS his company uses are "safe, environmentally sound, and will help the food industry feed a growing population"...neither of these claims are true, and he seems remorseless and unapologetic that he's subjecting countless children and adults alike to his variety of the poison. These people don't give a damn about you or your kids anymore.

Commenters on the cereal's Facebook page also said they found the commercial "disgusting" and that it made them "want to vomit." Other hateful commenters expressed shock that a black father would stay with his family.

Archived