The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Matt Read for Jonathan Bernier?

@ericsuperfan

@DennisTFP So you think Bernier could be headed to the Flyers?

@DennisTFP

@ericsuperfan think Bryzgalov gets bought out and Bernier for Matt Read is made. Was discussed at deadline as I hear.

Could the Flyers pry Jonathan Bernier from the Kings?

Bernstein is an LA-based writer, so even though he writes for The Fourth Period -- a site that positions themselves as a rumor aggregator -- there's probably at least some credence to the rumor that Matt Read could be traded for Jonathan Bernier. Add Bob McKenzie's report from Saturday night about "expecting" the Flyers to buyout Bryzgalov, and well, yes, that does smell like smoke.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/6/9/4409966/jonathan-bernier-kings-flyers-goalie

I doubt that Bernier is the answer for Philadelphia. In my opinion, he's nothing special and is already 25 years old (when the season starts).

Value seems fair though. Bernier has the potential to be a 1b type goaltender and Read has already proven himself as a top 9 offensive-minded forward.

Pretty funny stuff, if true.. They are literately better off keeping Bryz. He's posted better #'s.

Berniers been in the league 3 yrs. Played more than 16 games in a season - once. He's posted a 'better than average' EV SV% - once (this season and it's a small sample size). That's ugh, not good. Especially when you compare to Luongo who's posted 'elite' EV SV% year after year.

They'll be looking for another goalie next summer..... a la Yzerman. What's up with these GMs? Seriously. Can these guys evaluate goaltenders?

I doubt that Bernier is the answer for Philadelphia. In my opinion, he's nothing special and is already 25 years old (when the season starts).

Value seems fair though. Bernier has the potential to be a 1b type goaltender and Read has already proven himself as a top 9 offensive-minded forward.

Archived