The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eakins Press Conference

Funny though... Scotty Bowman never played in the NHL before taking on the head coaching job in St.Louis and then went on to win 9 Stanley Cups in 30 seasons as a head coach.

Pat Burns never played a single game either. Despite that, he was still one of the best coaches in the league.

I'm not saying that Eakins was the best choice for the Canucks, but we can't just write him off due to lack of NHL experience or games played. Some people are just born to lead.

No

So one guy makes a generic statement about liking his new employers, and from that, you conclude that he was actually saying something against Gillis?

Not EVERYTHING that EVERYONE says leads back to the Canucks. This attitude is bordering on paranoia.

I think it was an easy choice for him to make. You have the Oilers, full of young talent who finished out of the playoffs. Only way to go is up the standings. The expectations are for the team to make the playoffs. And you have the Canucks, full of aging players, finished near the top of the standings. Expectations for them are to win or challenge for the cup, anything less than a second round playoff series and there is a decent chance that the GM and ultimately the coach will lose their jobs. I think Eakins made a pretty smart choice.

So do potential business prospects need someone entertaining to go hang and have a beer with or is this serious business related stuff?

How, on earth, you bring personality into this is beyond me.

Mike is all business all the time...many would find that reassuring in entering into possible future transactions with him.

Did you ever think maybe at least part of his reasoning was because of people like you - people in this market who will scream for his head every time he makes a move? Vancouver's a fishbowl, housing and accommodation pricing is beyond belief and he may just have reasons that he isn't sharing with you (or I). In Edmonton, he can tuck away a little more easily to settle into his new role and will be in front of a pool of young prospects and a team he can grow with.

Here? Just look at these boards to get a cross section of what he'd encounter on a daily basis then add to that our relentless media and that, alone, could scare someone off.

You've taken one comment that you like from the guy and decided he is the one. Well done.

...and Ehrhoff signed in Buffalo because the thought they gave him the best chance to win.

People say nice things when speaking to the press about taking a new job. It doesn't mean the inverse is true for the competition.

He said "in the other interviews". Pretty sure not every other team in the league interviewed him once or twice for that matter. Keep loving Gillis as he has done oh so much for the Canucks.

Go read the posts on TSN over the next few hours and see how many people agree with my interpretation of Eakins's comments.

I picked up a few interesting comments from the press conference today. Eakins mentioned time flew by in his interview because he felt he was talking to fellow "hockey people". Eakins also mentioned being able to "work with" teh Oilers management team. He also mentioned he had "no issues coaching veteren players".

So let me read between the lines....MG is not considered a "hockey guy" as far as Eakins is concerned and also Eakins did not feel he could work for or with Gillis.

All the talk about him picking the Oilers because he preferred to coach a young team was not true.

I must say, I was very impressed with Dallas Eakins, he was very well spoken ahd had a very interesting perpspective on coaching. I particularly like his coment about coaching players instead of coaching a team. I think Gillis dropped the ball (again).

Mike Gillis needs to be fired. I have said this many times. He has no respect in the league as a "hockey guy" and he has ZERO personality. He makes people feel uncomforatable....Eakins himself said time flew by in a four hour interview compared to "other" interviews.

I know there are other more experienced coaching prospects out there but in MY opinion, I liked Eakins alot. Oilers have a winner.

Archived