The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie says Edler on the block

nuck nit

As per TSN draft day reporting:

9:36am et - Will VAN's Alex Edler get "Jeff Carter-ed"? (Traded right before his NTC kicks in). I'd say there's a decent chance Edler gets "Carter-ed." - McKenzie

9:18am et - Edler's availability has a number of teams intrigued. Understandably, asking price is said to be high. - Dreger

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426595

As per TSN draft day reporting:

9:36am et - Will VAN's Alex Edler get "Jeff Carter-ed"? (Traded right before his NTC kicks in). I'd say there's a decent chance Edler gets "Carter-ed." - McKenzie

9:18am et - Edler's availability has a number of teams intrigued. Understandably, asking price is said to be high. - Dreger

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426595

I hope moves that will benefit the team aren't going to be torpedoed because Gillis asks for too much.

Not that I want good players to be given away. But I'm hoping he's asking for a realistic return.

Dont think Edler will thrive with Torts,its just my gut feeling.

So say he doesnt do well,his value drops to potentially what Lou is worth right now and its more egg on face.

Sure he could do well,but history points to Edler being lost in the clouds for longer and longer stretches during the season.

He has the goods but I think his days of punishing players with hits are fading(Due to shoulder) and teams have caught on to his slow skating. Could be AV's system was the problem but I think we get a better return than keeping him.

People who think Edler will suck with Tortorella make up the stupidest reasons.

Edler played as a puck mover when he doesn't have the speed to be a puck mover, of course he is going to look bad. I've said that since Ehrhoff left, the team put too much pressure on Edler to put up Ehrhoff type points. Tortorella will hopefully find the strengths of the players and give them proper roles that work in their advantage. He's made everyone of his D in the Rangers look fantastic. Even, Anton Stralman looked good defensively and people are using "guts" and Edler being "quiet" as reasons that he wouldn't gel with Tortorella? Man oh Man, people are so blind.

Teams around the league still see Edler has a potential number 1 and at 5 Million per year, It's an absolute steal. The only reason, and I'm totally against trading Edler is the fact that Gillis has screwed himself up by giving everyone on D a NTC and therefore, the Canuck's cap is screwed. Canucks get a hell lot easier to play against without Edler.

Again,

Who cares if a defeceman puts up 60 points if he can't keep the puck out of his own net. There is a reason you can dress weak forwards who do nothing but score points ... kind of like the Sedins. There are defenceman behind them that bail them out. There is no one behind Edler besides the goalie to do that.

Defenceman need to be able to play defence, it's a pretty simple concept. Our team is also built so that any defenceman can put up points. It's not like Edler creates those points himself. He is the benficiary of playing with the Sedins and jumping in with absolutely no concern for for what's happening defensively. That can be replaced, even if it's by a shutdown defender who gets 10 points a year. The day we start relying on Alex Edler to lead this team we might as well blow it up.

Defenceman need to be able to play defence, it's a pretty simple concept. Our team is also built so that any defenceman can put up points. It's not like Edler creates those points himself. He is the benficiary of playing with the Sedins and jumping in with absolutely no concern for for what's happening defensively. That can be replaced, even if it's by a shutdown defender who gets 10 points a year. The day we start relying on Alex Edler to lead this team we might as well blow it up.

Archived