The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

7 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

He will not make the Canucks! I cannot believe people are comparing him to Sami Pahlsson... I'll have whatever you're smoking. 

Cole will fail and this is no diss to him. He is a great hockey player but the NHL is an exclusive club and he is just not good enough. We don't have the room to sign him so he will just have to waste away in the AHL. Or we could trade him. 

I'm not saying trade him for much. Maybe Package him with Vanek and get an extra 7th round draft pick. I pray this to happen. 

And, you're basing this off what? You've watched him a lot this season?

Just making S$!^ up, or based on any actual observation or anything quoted by his coach or other Canucks management?

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

And, you're basing this off what? You've watched him a lot this season?

Just making S$!^ up, or based on any actual observation or anything quoted by his coach or other Canucks management?

He has peaked. He will not get any better then right now, which is why we should trade him. 

Anybody watching his development has to have noticed that he is not quick enough for the NHL game. He is also not smart enough. They don't have advanced stats for NHL but I'm positive his CORSI is awful. His epic "shutdown" of McDavid has proven to be a fluke. 

How do you all expect us to sign Mr Future Sami Palhsson? Who do we not sign to make room for him? We need to trim the fat of our prospect pool and Cole Cassels is an excellent place to start. 

3 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

He has peaked. He will not get any better then right now, which is why we should trade him. 

Anybody watching his development has to have noticed that he is not quick enough for the NHL game. He is also not smart enough. They don't have advanced stats for NHL but I'm positive his CORSI is awful. His epic "shutdown" of McDavid has proven to be a fluke. 

How do you all expect us to sign Mr Future Sami Palhsson? Who do we not sign to make room for him? We need to trim the fat of our prospect pool and Cole Cassels is an excellent place to start. 

Again, this sounds like idle speculation, I can see why you are -155, you don't seem to be able to come up with anything more than "I'm positive his CORSI is awful"

I think if the team wasn't happy with him, he'd be getting scratched fairly regularly, which hasn't been happening.

With that in mind and past interviews I've read from Benning on prospect development, I'm going to have to call your whole stand on this, BS!

Cassels has been on a slow development path but he has worked his way into a valuable contributor for the Comets. He doesn't have the hands or quickness to be a top six scoring forward but has carved out a role of a hard on the puck forechecking power forward that can pick up some points around the net. The agitator role is something that has emerged this year as well and something that he could make even more use of.

I think he will be qualified after this season and back with the Comets next year with a possible look or two in Vancouver.

6 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Cassels has been on a slow development path but he has worked his way into a valuable contributor for the Comets. He doesn't have the hands or quickness to be a top six scoring forward but has carved out a role of a hard on the puck forechecking power forward that can pick up some points around the net. The agitator role is something that has emerged this year as well and something that he could make even more use of.

I think he will be qualified after this season and back with the Comets next year with a possible look or two in Vancouver.

Send him to Horvat's skating coach this summer. I actually thought Cassels was looking pretty good in exhibition this year, before getting injured.

1 hour ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

It wasn't a fluke. It was coaching and team defense. The whole team systems were designed that way and McDavid was shut down. I posted videos of it on CDC back then. I told everyone you are way over excited about this kid, he's nowhere near the NHL, but CDC being what it is thought I was trolling because i didn't think Cassels would be the next coming of Bob Gainey. 

As far as if he's ready to play in the NHL yet, I don't think he is. He's had a hot 2 months and moved up in lineup due to injuries. He's played well for the last month but what about last 2.5 years. 

I'm hoping he continues to play well on top two lines instead of being moved down to the 4th line again. If he does Canucks will re sign him to another contract. He can be an injury call up 4th line player by end of next year. All depends on if the real Cassels is the one from last 2 months or the one from last 2.5 years. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

It wasn't a fluke. It was coaching and team defense. The whole team systems were designed that way and McDavid was shut down. I posted videos of it on CDC back then. I told everyone you are way over excited about this kid, he's nowhere near the NHL, but CDC being what it is thought I was trolling because i didn't think Cassels would be the next coming of Bob Gainey. 

As far as if he's ready to play in the NHL yet, I don't think he is. He's had a hot 2 months and moved up in lineup due to injuries. He's played well for the last month but what about last 2.5 years. 

I'm hoping he continues to play well on top two lines instead of being moved down to the 4th line again. If he does Canucks will re sign him to another contract. He can be an injury call up 4th line player by end of next year. All depends on if the real Cassels is the one from last 2 months or the one from last 2.5 years. 

He's on the fourth line right now, with Chaput, Darcy, and Hamilton all ahead of him in the centre position. He's been getting usage on the second powerplay unit though, which is nice to see as he had a lot of success on the PP in junior getting those greasy goals in tight. Gets a regular PK shift. Loves to muck it up in the tough areas and get under opponents' skin which is something the big club lacks. I agree with the rest of your assessment, a lot of fans around here are so impatient that when a prospect shows the slightest signs of getting on track the first thought is to call them up. A larger sample size of consistent play is needed before that happens with Cassels, but the potential he showed before has definitely resurfaced at times this year.

6 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

He's on the fourth line right now, with Chaput, Darcy, and Hamilton all ahead of him in the centre position. He's been getting usage on the second powerplay unit though, which is nice to see as he had a lot of success on the PP in junior getting those greasy goals in tight. Gets a regular PK shift. Loves to muck it up in the tough areas and get under opponents' skin which is something the big club lacks. I agree with the rest of your assessment, a lot of fans around here are so impatient that when a prospect shows the slightest signs of getting on track the first thought is to call them up. A larger sample size of consistent play is needed before that happens with Cassels, but the potential he showed before has definitely resurfaced at times this year.

Thank you, appreciate your assessment. I didn't know as much. 

It's frustrating to always hear reports from media and a handful of locals ( much appreciated ) about our prospects. It boggles the mind that we are unable to get a televised look see. We saw a few games a few years back. All against the Marlies, but they put all the talk and opinion into perspective. Saw Alex Biega for the first time. Understood the frustration with Alex Grenier and got to wonder why Alex Friesen wasn't in the NHL. ( the Alex report ? ).

I'm sure that a feed from their home games could be a financial plus. I would love it. All this Cole Cassels talk, I need to see a game or two !

( watching on an iphone doesn't do it ! )

Cassels extended his point streak to six games today, cruising through the slot to tip home Dylan Blujus' point shot. Not the best effort by the Comets overall, especially during the second period, but Cassels was notable on the penalty kill which went 3/3 and did a good job taking away space from the Laval PP. Also saw time on the Comets' second PP unit again.

Up to 6-16-22 in 49 games and has 2-4-6 in his last six playing on the fourth line with PTOs Dziurzynski and Cameranesi.

On 2018-02-19 at 9:53 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Is he still only around 6'0 and 184lbs, as listed on the Comets site, or has he bulked up any since going pro that may have helped him?

He was around the same listed height and weight on the last couple training camp measurements (including the “staff only” one that got leaked in 2016-17). Maybe he’s bulked up a bit this year but I don’t imagine he’s all that much bigger now.

Archived