The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks turn an embarrassment of riches in net into a flat-out embarrassment - Jason Botchford

Say Lou decides to forgive and forget. He plays another season or two as the starter and plays well, proving that this is indeed his team. Then say Lack comes in to give Lou some much needed time off and he absolutely kills it. He plays so well that Torts starts him for a few games. Then imagine Lou chomping at the bit to get back in the crease but flails when given his position back. Say Lack comes back and kills it again, showing that he is indeed the real deal. Now Torts has to start Lack for a good stretch, as Lack is stacking up wins. Then, in a presser, Gillis says that Lack is the future of the Canucks. What in the hell is Lou going to do if this happens? What if Lou gets hosed again by this nincompoop Gillis? Does he get bought out? Does he get traded? Does anyone want Lou again?

If I'm Lou, I seriously consider finding a way the hell out of Vancouver for fear of never knowing where I stand. Think about it. Just three years ago Lou is made captain, given a NTC and a mountain of money. Shortly thereafter, he is pulled in favor of his back-up with the season on the line. Within a week, Lou is agreeing at least to the press to waive his NTC. Then, after holding out for way too much (admit it, he asked way too much for Lou, otherwise a lot of you wouldnt be rationalizing MG getting fleeced on the CS deal), Gillis says "there's no reasn we can finish the season with two starters . . . derp". After reality sets in, Lou actually becomes used to the idea and is fine with it. Maybe even excited to get a new start. Then, after the entire universe expects a Lou trade, CS is sent packing. Where is the stability? Where is the consistency ? Where is the logic? Sure, ou is "their guy" today. What about tomorrow? What about next month, next year? Gillis put himself above the team and got rid of the foundation of this team's future. Yes, he got some young players. Will they become NHLers? Hopefully. Was CS an NHLer? Absolutely. In fact, he for all intents and purposes, was good enough to supplant an "elite" goalie in Luongo. What Gillis did was literally trade a bird in hand for two in the Bush. And he managed to look insane in the process. At least in my eyes.

I believe Lou can play very well for this team. I believe he will be able to help this team into the playoffs consistently, but what I'm not sure of is why he would want to stay in a place that was so schizophrenic and that treated him like an extraneous part.

I really dont understand why everyone continues to put down and chastize this team, its players, and the management. The goalie contorvery needed to be solved and it was. We had two extremely talented goaltenders and one of them had to go. So instead of buying out Lu, losing him for nothing yet still having to pay him for the next 18 years we traded Cory for the 9th overall pick in a deep draft and got a very promising, young player that gives us talent in the prospect pool.

We dont have the cap space to take on any more contracts and everyone seems to think we could take on salary when trading one of the goalies. Gillis did a very good job getting something while not taking any salary giving us more options. Remember that Luongos cap hit is only 1.3 million more than corys. so If luongo did get traded but we had to take on 1.4 million in salary then were not making better than this deal. With Ballard about to be bought out (dont agree with it but someone has to go, dont why they dont try and trade him though), we have room to sign some of our depth players and are going to have to trust that our young players (Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Shroeder, Corrado) are going to get a chance to make this team in meaningful roles. They have the abillity to, just need the opportunity.

Have faith in this team and support them. Go Vancouver

What part of one of the goalies needed to be traded does he not understand?

If we had traded Luongo for nothing or bought him out he would be writing an article complaining about that.

At least we got a valuable asset back. And last time I checked Lu is still a world class goaltender.

Having Lack and Eriksson (two of the best goalies in the AHL and SEL respectively), isn't too sshaby either.

The most important measurement to use with goalies is save %. Schneider's was clearly superior to Luongo's the past two years, and Schneider's younger. The trend is likely to widen in the next seven years.

The problem is the idea that a team has to have a number one goalie. Its been a problem for the canucks inept management and coaches for years. What would be so wrong as to have 2 goalies and just play the guy thats hot and make sure that the other guy gets ice time when your ahead. In any case alternating goalies is not such a bad idea. There is no need to have a so called #1 unless one of the goalies is a head case. Its no wonder Vancouver is called a goalie graveyard ! Goalies don't have to be pampered. They are just another part of a team.

Luongo needed a fresh start with a different team. MG screwed up handling the goalie situation from day one. Luongo should've been gone the day CS was re-signed. His arrogance and ego and greed is why we were forced to trade a goaltender that was drafted by the franchise and developed for 8 years instead of the 34 yr old goaltender that's signed for 8 friggin more years.

I cannot believe how he wasn't fired along with AV after this debacle...........

Archived