The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks, Olympics, Age, Travel = Players should Pass

In the Slot

While I am all for NHL players in the Olympics, this year (2014) from a Canucks fan's perspective, I am hoping (and am sure it won't be the case), that our players would pass on playing in Sochi.

Why?

Simple --> the title above.

• Our window is closing, we all know that, the team knows that. The Sedin's are aging, and slowing, Kesler is injured 1/2 the season with regularity, Lou is 34.

• The amount of travel the Nucks do is the most in the NHL, we all know that

• Given the compressed schedule, bc of Sochi, next year will be alot like this year but with 82 games, that's hard for a veteran team and again add in our travel.

• Offsetting this challenge is the efforts spent my the team to look at sleep, rest etc, a change of the division alignment, and the vets knowing how to deal with this - but it won't be enough.

• However, it still worries me that we will see the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Hansen, maybe Hammer, and Lou off to Sochi when all those guys are not only core, they are also aging, and those 2 weeks off could really help them rest for the playoffs.

• Not only will they not be resting, they will tiring out their bodies, emotions prior to what really matters, the run for the cup.

• These guys aren't Toews and Kane young, a long season and long playoffs as we all know takes stamina, lack of injuries etc to win.

• In my mind, I'd really like to see our players say thanks, but no thanks, we've all played before and we care more about the cup.

I get what you're trying to say but there are so many variables.

1. Will they be injured

2. Will they be invited

3. If invited will they even make the team

4. If invited will they accept

And so many more it's hard to count. Luongo should be a shoe in IF his play indicates it, Hamhuis as well. The Sedins are Swedish therefore ageless and will do fine if nothing else will be energized by it. Kesler will be invited but again injured or?

The issue with this is while I agree I like the idea of them staying in North America and resting/practicing/healing over flying halfway across the globe, I want to see my countries best face their countries best.

I want my teams players energized from competing on such a big stage or bitter and ready to prove something from failing on such a big stage.

Nobody on this team short of the twins and Kesler are a lock at all and this team has shown it can win with 1 Sedin and without Kesler.

I get what you're trying to say but there are so many variables.

1. Will they be injured

2. Will they be invited

3. If invited will they even make the team

4. If invited will they accept

And so many more it's hard to count. Luongo should be a shoe in IF his play indicates it, Hamhuis as well. The Sedins are Swedish therefore ageless and will do fine if nothing else will be energized by it. Kesler will be invited but again injured or?

The issue with this is while I agree I like the idea of them staying in North America and resting/practicing/healing over flying halfway across the globe, I want to see my countries best face their countries best.

I want my teams players energized from competing on such a big stage or bitter and ready to prove something from failing on such a big stage.

Nobody on this team short of the twins and Kesler are a lock at all and this team has shown it can win with 1 Sedin and without Kesler.

The cup may be more important to the op, but maybe, just maybe some players would like to have the honor to represent their country in the Olympic.

Just because you don't care, it doesn't make it a fact that players should pass the Olympic just to have a shot on the cup to please you.

Winnipeg had it bad last year, San Jose is typically a high travel team as well. Florida and Tampa will travel a lot in the new divisions. We've always been bad, but not always the worst. Thank Mike Gillis for any help we've had with that.

Nazzy said no to 2006 team what happened? He lost on a gold medal. Personally given a choice if I was a sportsperson ( day dreaming). I will rather have gold medal. As it will be for Canada, my home.

The cup may be more important to the op, but maybe, just maybe some players would like to have the honor to represent their country in the Olympic.

Just because you don't care, it doesn't make it a fact that players should pass the Olympic just to have a shot on the cup to please you.

The Olympics and 100 times moreso the All Star games are a joke compared to the NHL. However, the Olympics are big enough that not a single player you mentioned will pass that opportunity down if they get it. Let's be serious, they're all making it ... except maybe Lou.

The Olympics and 100 times moreso the All Star games are a joke compared to the NHL. However, the Olympics are big enough that not a single player you mentioned will pass that opportunity down if they get it. Let's be serious, they're all making it ... except maybe Lou.

Archived