The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should have drafted Max Domi

Jordan Schroeder

Nothing against Horvat but we needed a player that has elite level offensive abilities. Based on the last 2 seasons our team has had so much trouble scoring and putting up points. With the slow decline of the Sedin twins combined with kesler always getting injured, our team offensive output will most likely decrease again this season.

We already had a similar player in Gaunce so I don't like how we drafted the same player in Horvat.

Max Domi has just elite everything and he's already 195 lbs and has had proper NHL training since he was a kid. Size is not an issue with him, and Canucks basically passed up on the next Martin St Louis. I think he would have made our team the upcoming season and been a fixture on the top 6. Right now he is owning it up at WJC development campt and outplaying Horvat too.

This is a player with absolute elite level playmaking abilities and elite level skating. No one on our team has the explosiveness and speed of this kid. If we wanted a safter pick we should have used that on someone with our 24th overall pick.

Thoughts?

But Horvat is a two way-player and we could use that when Kes declines and the Sedins retire. Plus we drafted shinkaruk and he is pure sniper so next year we can draft that playmaking winger and we will have this top six of the future:

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Playmaking winger we draft

Jensen-Guance-Kassian

Plus this year we are still a contender so Max Domi wont even slot in the roster

Nothing against Horvat but we needed a player that has elite level offensive abilities. Based on the last 2 seasons our team has had so much trouble scoring and putting up points. With the slow decline of the Sedin twins combined with kesler always getting injured, our team offensive output will most likely decrease again this season.

We already had a similar player in Gaunce so I don't like how we drafted the same player in Horvat.

Max Domi has just elite everything and he's already 195 lbs and has had proper NHL training since he was a kid. Size is not an issue with him, and Canucks basically passed up on the next Martin St Louis. I think he would have made our team the upcoming season and been a fixture on the top 6. Right now he is owning it up at WJC development campt and outplaying Horvat too.

This is a player with absolute elite level playmaking abilities and elite level skating. No one on our team has the explosiveness and speed of this kid. If we wanted a safter pick we should have used that on someone with our 24th overall pick.

Thoughts?

are you a scout? Are you at the WJC camp in lake Placid? What do you think of the NHL combine and the International Scouting Service disagreeing with you? There are a lot of questions I have that really boil down to asking you for your credentials before you make such a sweeping declaration. Unless you mean to say that as a fan you really like Tie Domi's kid and wish he was a Canuck.

Thoughts?

TBH, I think Domi is a little overrated. Hear me out!

Like you said, he is already 195 pounds and physically developed. He's had quality training all his life, won't get any better as a skater and he is already very quick. He's highly developed, and there's not a lot more room to go.

Smaller skilled players have always ripped up Canadian junior league and junior tournies, the issue becomes the NHL game where opposing players will keep up to their skating, where open ice and space is a lot more rare, and where they'll get pushed around any time they go into a corner.

To me, his upside is much more comparable to a guy like Mike Cammalari, not St. Louis. Plus, which guy on Phoenix does Domi have that is comprable to Stamkos as his sniper? lol.

While I do like domi a lot I still think Vancouver got it right drafting Horvat. The canucks need a guy who can score in big games and that's what horvat does. He won the ohl playoff award by leading in goals for the playoff!

exactly and he has the size to go to the hard spots in the playoffs.

if you look at our team (youth up front)....assuming our first rounders all are able to make the jump (big assumption i know) but for arguments sake lets say yes

Gaunce 6'2 215

Kassian 6'3 215

Jensen 6'2 202

Horvat 6'0 203

4 of our future top 6 forwards are over 200lbs and all 6'0 or over. That is a big (no pun intended) asset to have come playoff time. The won't get worn down, and you add in a couple of skilled players like Shinkaruk and someone else and they (the smaller offensive players )don't get pounded because they have room provided by the big boys. Moreover, our future 1/2 or 2/3 centers are both over 200lbs...and have real size (thick players not tall and lanky). Size and Strength down the middle, good defence, and goaltending is what wins cups.

Domi would have taken away one of those players with size and simply added the extra skilled player, which is fine, but its much harder to find guys with size AND skill than it is pure skill - especially late picks in the first round.

Given where the canucks have been drafting this pick makes sense, power forwards who can skate and score seldom drop into the late teens and 20's, let alone 24, 25 and down spots. If we didn't take a player like this now, we may not get a player like him by the time its time to transition (thus the reason everyone was screaming for Coutourier - smart, 2 way center with size).

You can often find a 5'10 - 6'0 player with skill quite frequently late in the first round - see shinkaruk, giroux, heck even sakic fell to 17 his draft year and concerns were about his size being 5'11, even though he was the same size as Stevey Y...lol...As we all know, teams put a premium on size, so a smaller player with elite talent can often fall lower given size concerns. If your team is stacked with young players with size and skill, well now you can take a risk on a smaller purely offensive player. It was a good strategic move by MG (even though I think he didn't get fair value back, but this is a Horvat v Domi debate)

Long term i think we made the right choice for the team assuming both players make the nhl and play to their capabilities....if one or the other doesn't well obviously time will tell. but at this point it makes 100% sense to me.

Horvat went beast in the playoffs.

I just wish he had a different name.

I personally like the sound of "Bo Horvat". "Hunter Shinkaruk", too. Come to think of it, a good number Vancouver's current prospects have pretty good names.

Nicklas Jensen

Frank Corrado

Brendan Gaunce.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Archived