The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should have drafted Max Domi

Jordan Schroeder

I personally like the sound of "Bo Horvat". "Hunter Shinkaruk", too. Come to think of it, a good number Vancouver's current prospects have pretty good names.

Nicklas Jensen

Frank Corrado

Brendan Gaunce.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

For some reason hearing someone say "Corrado" makes me hungry

Do you know where Max Domi was at when Bo Horvat scored the game winning goal with 0.1 seconds left in Game 7 of the OHL Finals?

On the Bench.

they are different players and given our needs horvat makes much more sense..read my post above but i think the logic was simple.

fill out 4 of our future top 6 with size

5 is shinkaruk, not small but not big

where we draft generally we never get elite talent with size and skating ability but often smaller players 5-10 to 6'0 are available with skill.

next draft, watch the nucks take a winger who has elite skills but is in the range of 5-10 to 6'0 but fell because he hasn't filled out...assuming of course we draft again in the bottom 7-8

this is all such a useless, cyclic argument.... Had we indeed drafted Max Domi, someone would have said, 'Hey, we shoulda drafted that Bo Horvat Kid cause he so clutch'.... the point is, EVERYONE, SIMULTANEOUSLY is never going to be happy

on a side note, it seemed to me that Nichushkin was the best player available and would have for sure been MY pick (again probably not yours, cause everybody is different), but I understand that Nichushkin has the Russian factor (even though I think he will be a great NHL player) but hey Horvat will be a good player!

Domi is an elite level player for sure. Will he be able to do what he does at the next level? Time will tell. I see him becoming a Marchand type player.

Horvat on the other hand has a better all around game and is still developing his offensive side. I think it's too early to say he doesn't have elite level offensive abilities. I've seen amazing flashes of pure offensive skill. The same thing was said about Kesler too.

This team does need more offensive punch, but it also needs a future captain/heart and soul player to take over when the Sedins and Kesler are done. Horvat is that guy.

And to say we don't have any elite level offensive players when we just drafted Shinkaruk is just silly. Shinkaruk outscored Domi in a much tougher league on a team that wasn't nearly as stacked as the Knights. We'll see if Domi can produce at that level without Griffith on the team.

I find this thread a head scratcher.

Horvat is just as skilled as Domi but he is also a center and has a defensive element to his game that Domi will never have. It was a no brainer to me.

Seems like some Canucks fans wish we drafted every good player. And if any player outpaces Horvat (even if it's in a world junior scrimmage), the response is automatically "oh man we should have drafted that guy".

CDC is full of people that either get way too excited about a player too quickly, or way too down on a player too quickly.

this is all such a useless, cyclic argument.... Had we indeed drafted Max Domi, someone would have said, 'Hey, we shoulda drafted that Bo Horvat Kid cause he so clutch'.... the point is, EVERYONE, SIMULTANEOUSLY is never going to be happy

on a side note, it seemed to me that Nichushkin was the best player available and would have for sure been MY pick (again probably not yours, cause everybody is different), but I understand that Nichushkin has the Russian factor (even though I think he will be a great NHL player) but hey Horvat will be a good player!

Nichushkin also said in his interviews with teams that he expects a roster spot. He doesn't just have the "Russian factor" when it comes to potentially running to the KHL, he's also got an ego. Look at the bonuses Dallas signed him to compared to those he was drafted near and you'll see something is already up. And while I like big strong wingers, I found Nichushkin to be a one trick pony. He had one power move that is the classic "this won't work on NHL ice" play and had trouble lifting the puck. Going around everyone and sliding the puck into the goal won't translate well to the pro leagues.

As for Domi...unless you're mesmerized by points totals and ignorant to the huge difference in size, there's not much room to believe he's better than Horvat. The Knights just had no idea that this Bo kid, who was new to a veteran team, was going to be so ridiculously good. He played in the bottom 6 for a while and moved up but was so good defensively that he killed penalties a lot and took defensive zone draws. Basically he was Kesler during the Nashville series but with the offensive production turned up to 11.

Seems like some Canucks fans wish we drafted every good player. And if any player outpaces Horvat (even if it's in a world junior scrimmage), the response is automatically "oh man we should have drafted that guy".

CDC is full of people that either get way too excited about a player too quickly, or way too down on a player too quickly.

AKA Gaunce Vs. Shredder right now.

Nichushkin and Domi are both great players, but Horvat was the most clutch of the lot. He put up HUGE playoff numbers and excelled at key situations in big games.

If you look around the league, 2-way forwards who are clutch are winning cups right now. Look at all the Blackhawks players - Hossa, Toews, Sharp and Kane are all solid defensively. Then look at the Bruins' Krejci and Bergeron - the same mould. Going back to Carter/Richards/Brown and even Kopitar at times, same sorts of players. Nichushkin and Domi are nowhere near as defensively sound as Horvat.

MG noticed that we need more of these sorts of 2-way players who can play in big pressure moments, and Horvat seems to be one of those guys.

Archived