The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Favorite Beer?

Guest Gumballthechewy

On 12/10/2015 at 10:15 AM, J.R. said:

I'd imagine most "Winter" ales will have vanilla notes. Bought some of the Howe Sound Winter Ale but haven't had opportunity to open and try it yet. I'm not a big Winter Ale fan though (bought it more for my wife) so I'll post someone else's review :lol:

562751_0.jpg

http://beermebc.com/2013/01/21/howe-sound-brewing-father-johns-winter-ale/

Finally cracked this last night. Still can't say I'm a big fan of the winter ale genre but as far as winter's go, the Howe Sound was probably one of the better ones I've had. A lot less sweet/overpowering spice than most of the ones I've tried.

Washed it down with a nice Four Winds Saison that was much more up my alley. Still has pleasant spice notes but less oppressive than a winter :lol:

dsc_0044.jpg

19 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This thread is torture.  I have been going strong through my juiceless Jan and it's been transitioning into Free Feb but this beer thread keeps popping.  Got to get in game shape for my upcoming beach trips but man do I want a Wildrose SOB.

theres only one thing that will help you during your time of need: think like the liquor-- flow with it~

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

Did the Innis and Gunn Rum barrel this weekend , as I have in the past stuck to original(whiskey barrel)  and well we had enough of them to go past your suggestion of a session. lol   I would have to agree with you, they sneak up on you.and linger after the sun rises again.      Have taken note the next time around, and will salad it up with some lesser next time.

Not even just the sneaking up or lingering but I just find them to 'rich' to enjoy more than 2-3. 

The older I get, the more I seem to prefer lighter, hoppier etc beers. Pilsners, IPA'S etc that feel less like a meal (or dessert).

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Not even just the sneaking up or lingering but I just find them to 'rich' to enjoy more than 2-3. 

The older I get, the more I seem to prefer lighter, hoppier etc beers. Pilsners, IPA'S etc that feel less like a meal (or dessert).

this is where i am now. i just enjoy kronenbourg 1664 and the occasional guinness, fat tug and other craft brews. i tend to steer away from the stronger stuff like the imperial stouts and all now

i feel like i'm the opposite of you guys. i just find myself enjoying one, MAYBE TWO big fat stouts or 'heavy' beers, rather than drinking 4 or 5+ lighter beers.

i do not drink nearly as much as i used to, but i still enjoy the richness and notes that are more commonly found in fall/winter beers

this is why i so passionately miss my dear brookyln brown ale. it was a perfect blend of both worlds :(

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

revival!

i'm trying a tuborg. kinda tastes like a heineken but with some apple notes. i wouldn't go out of your way if you feel the need to try euro lagers

The Scandinavian ones are indeed the äss-suckiest.

(I've disliked Tuborg for ages ... has always tasted like skunkwater to me)

1 minute ago, Svengali said:

The Scandinavian ones are indeed the äss-suckiest.

(I've disliked Tuborg for ages ... has always tasted like skunkwater to me)

it's definately got that skunkiness, but there isn't much to be expected from carlsberg. i've tasted way worse beers than this. this one at least stays down XD

Just now, Twilight Sparkle said:

it's definately got that skunkiness, but there isn't much to be expected from carlsberg. i've tasted way worse beers than this. this one at least stays down XD

The worst beer I've ever had in my life was Faxe, also a Danish delight ...

Archived