The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Favorite Beer?

Guest Gumballthechewy

Is anybody doing a beer advent calendar this year? Some are available now. Phillips Snowcase is available ($69), and Parallel 49 has a split pack with Red Racer (Central City) called Craft Crossing for $62

not sure what else will become available, but these things sometimes go quickly so I'm conflicted.

I thought last years Snowcase was fun, but I was definitely disappointed by the overwhelming number of IPAs 

Is anybody doing a beer advent calendar this year? Some are available now. Phillips Snowcase is available ($69), and Parallel 49 has a split pack with Red Racer (Central City) called Craft Crossing for $62

not sure what else will become available, but these things sometimes go quickly so I'm conflicted.

I thought last years Snowcase was fun, but I was definitely disappointed by the overwhelming number of IPAs 

I probably won't do the Snowcase again.  The value just isn't there when all the beers in the calendar are readily available at least at some point during the year.

There was a heavy amount of IPAs in the previous year's Snowcase as well. That was really the first year I saw them and everyone wanted one but Phillips was the only kind available in the stores so they sold out a lot. Last year, Red Racer/Parallel 49 added theirs to the ring, and I got an international one (far more expensive, but really good) that was also available, and there was more choice so they all weren't selling out.

This year there's the same three I think available, and my parents actually bought me a different one from Alberta (that I'm not sure is available here, but would make a 4th kind) that's all German beers. There shouldn't be a rush on buying one right away if you want to make up your mind.

But, if you did the Snowcase last year, I'd say do a different one this year. You will get some variations in the Snowcase again but it'll be largely the same types of beers (in the very least their standards like Slipstream, Blue Buck, etc.). If you like Parallel 49/Red Racer, then you know you'll be getting something different.

I probably won't do the Snowcase again.  The value just isn't there when all the beers in the calendar are readily available at least at some point during the year.

Some of them were pretty exclusive though, so I didn't mind doing it the once to get a taste of the barrel aged stuff and all that (the Twisted Oak series particularly, buy also the barrel aged version of the Hammer Imperial Stout). I agree I probably won't do it again though unless they do a fair number of brand new/exclusive beers.

the LC near my place was selling all the bottles individually

I'd heard that as well, that with so much choice last year they couldn't sell all of them so I'll have to keep an eye out this year to pick up a few singles that look interesting.

Yeah there were a LOT :lol: Though I was pleasantly surprised to find the White Unicorn was VERY good IMO. Expected it to be quite strong/harsh but it was probably the my favourite IPA of the bunch.

I was more disappointed with some I just flat out did not care for. Ended up cooking with/giving away a good few...

I'm not a big Parallel 49 fan...I think I've only liked one of their beers and I can't even recall which one. So they're out.

I wish Howe Sound or Bridge would do one...liked just about everything from both of them::D

Edit: Just googled up this:

http://beermebc.com/2015/10/18/bc-craft-beer-advent-calendar-rumors-what-is-coming-for-christmas-in-2015/

Rumor #1 – No CRAFT BeerAdvent Calendar in BC for 2015

The first rumor is true. The original craft beer advent calendar is not available in BC for 2015. Despite the fact that this year it includes beer from British Columbia’s Bridge, Townsite and Lighthouse Breweries, the Craft BeerAdvent Calendar is not being sold in BC. Here is the note that was shared regarding the matter:

“The 2015 Craft BeerAdvent® Calendar features some cans and some bottles that are on the re-fill program and due to regulations which prohibit the mixing of such containers within the same package in BC, we will not be able to offer the Craft BeerAdvent® Calendar in British Columbia in 2015.

With knowledge of the rules and regulations, we look forward to offering the craft beer lovers in British Columbia an amazing Craft BeerAdvent® Calendar in 2016.”

2015_beeradvent.jpg

Thanks for the info, fellas.

I'm conflcited about the parallel 49 pack. on one level, I have never had a Red Racer beer. on another level, I am not a big fan of the two parallel 49 beers I've had from their "always around" selection.

that said, I think their pumpkin beer, Schadenfreude, is probably a top 10 beer for me. and their "seasonal selection" on their website (http://parallel49brewing.com/beers/) has some really, really interesting looking options

For anyone else conflicted, here is a list of the brews released in last year's pack. a lot of low-moderate IBU beers, so for those of us who were sick of Phillips' IPA selection last year, could be a nice change. Potential pack spoilers:

Parallel 49 Schwarzwald 9% ABV 22 IBU (A "rare" chocolate cherry imperial porter)

Red Racer Pilsner 5% ABV

Parallel 49 Filthy Dirty IPA 7.2% ABV 55 IBU

Red Racer Belgian Style Wheat Ale 5% ABV

Parallel 49 Old Boy Classic Ale 5% ABV 27 IBU

Red Racer Oatmeal Stout 4.2% ABV

Parallel 49 The Toques of Hazzard IPA 9.2% ABV 76 IBU

Red City Pale Ale 5% ABV

Parallel 49 Hoparazzi Lager 6.0% ABV 43 IBU

Red Race Extra Special Bitter 5.6% ABV

Parallel 49 Craft Lager 5% ABV 18 IBU

Red Racer Copper Ale 5% ABV 23 IBU

Parallel 49 Black Christmas Christmas Dark Ale 6.5% ABV 65 IBU

Red Truck Indian Session Ale 4% ABV

Gypsy Tears Ruby Ale 6% ABV 40 IBU

Red Racer IPA Ale 6.5% ABV

Parallel 49 Sahti Claws Finnish Sahti 7.7% ABV 35 IBU

Red Racer Imperial IPA 9% ABV 90 IBU

Parallel 49 Salty Scotch 7.5% ABV 17 IBU

Central City Imperial Porter 9% ABV 60 IBU

Parallel 49 Ugly Sweater Milk Stout 5% ABV 30 IBU

Central City Thor’s Hammer Barley Wine 11.5% ABV

Parallel 49 Vow of Silence Belgian Strong Ale 9.8% ABV 25 IBU

Central City Dubbel Trubbel 6.5% ABV

Parallel49 & Red Racer are both on the lower end of local craft beers imo, but at least they seem to be consistent. I don't know if it's just because I used to drop into the Phillips brewery on a weekly basis, but they were all over the place with their quality. Top notch one week, sub-par the next.

I might do that advent calendar for 62$ though. Is it on sale at the BCL?

Parallel49 & Red Racer are both on the lower end of local craft beers imo, but at least they seem to be consistent. I don't know if it's just because I used to drop into the Phillips brewery on a weekly basis, but they were all over the place with their quality. Top notch one week, sub-par the next.

I might do that advent calendar for 62$ though. Is it on sale at the BCL?

BCL all over vic has them, yeah

So my wife got these for me last night:

12193380_10153110362602601_2083986604237

Had the Megadestroyer and started the Wee Beastie, both were good. Each had their respective flavours (licorice and scotch) strong in the smell but more subtle in the taste. The Megadestroyer was a handful though and shared that with a buddy. Pretty good little pack actually.

Speaking of advent calendars...looks like someone smart figured they'd get in on the action with wine lovers as well. Shame $850 is a bit out of my price range :lol:

http://www.straight.com/food/576851/vancouver-wine-start-selling-wine-bottle-advent-calendar

Vancouver wine start-up selling wine bottle advent calendar

newdistrictwinebottleadventcalendar.jpg?

Why didn’t anyone think of this sooner?

New District, a Vancouver-based wine start-up, has created an advent calendar containing 25 full-sized bottles of B.C.’s best vinos. Specially curated by a team of wine experts, each bottle is worth up to $100 and comes beautifully wrapped, numbered, and packaged in a white pine box.

The adult-friendly calendar was created in an effort to connect wine drinkers with a wider variety of locally made wines—a large number of which come from Okanagan wineries, including Lock & Worth, Stag’s Hollow, Church & State Wines, and Le Vieux Pin.

New District’s wine bottle advent calendar retails for $850, including shipping, and is available for purchase on the company’s website.

Quantities are limited and orders made by November 26th will arrive in time for the first of December.

New District is also offering smaller holiday six-packs of wine, which can be shipped in time for Christmas.

Archived