The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Santorelli: Is he the steal of the Free Agency?

RAMBUTANS

I think alot of it also comes from Tortorella's willingness to play 4th liners and have them be offensive. AV played 4th liners very sparingly, and when he did he simply told them to dump and chase and kill time until the other players were rested. Good teams don't do that.

What?? LOL! Dalpe and Weber had 2:30 mins of TOI against the Devils.

The purpose of our new acquisitions then isn't to make sure we continue to dominate the old NW division teams but to make us better in order to beat the California teams that has given us trouble.

What I'm saying is that there is no point assessing the Santorelli and Richardson acquisitions until we see them play a handful of games against the California teams. I knew they could play well against an Oilers team that is missing both their top 6 centers and a Calgary team in a full rebuild. I want to know if Santorelli and Richardson can play well vs. San Jose, LA and Anaheim - because that's what they were brought in for.

This.

Though I don't think Santo was brought in to address our lack of size and strength against LA and SJ. It was probably more like "Frig, we can get him at like min wage and he scored 20 with Booth a couple years ago and he's from Vancouver so let's rol lthe dice."

Everyone was just as excited about about Jeff Tambellini's wrist shot. Where is he now?

Interesting how these things happen; Kass suspended, Burr & Schray out injured. If these things hadn't happened Weber, Dalpe & Santorelli possibly wouldn't have played a game. Santo or Weise woulda' sat-who knows?..Either way, we now know about a number of guys we can insert, & still play decent as a team.

Now when the other 3 guys are inserted, it should create that in-house competition; which means our squad might not have many lackadaisicle outings. There appear about nine guys fighting for top-six placement, & AT LEAST nine guys fighting for bottom-six positions.

All this depth must lead us to at least ONE MORE significant deal, where we upgrade a fwd(w/ a precise need), and/or amass some picks that we've previously dealt(eg:Dalpe deal). Just wait for some team to encounter health/roster woes. A position to be patient.

Dalpe sucks. That offsets the Santorelli signing because MG wasted another draft pick.

Santorelli SO FAR, has been going good. He earned his promotion with the Sedins on Tuesdays game. Hopefully he keeps it going.

For Dalpe, kind of difficult to see what we have when he has only played 18 minutes this season, 4:30 per game. A guy can't even work up a good sweat in under 5 minutes. I'll reserve judgement on him until a month down the road. Give him an opportunity to learn the system and gain Torts trust.

I bet that 4th rounder comes back to bite us in the ass...Mike Gillis out GM'd as usual.

Who was the last 4th rounder to win an individual trophy? .. 'enquiring' minds want to know? .. crap shoot at every level .. so few here are pragmatic enough to accept the obvious ..

Who was the last 4th rounder to win an individual trophy? .. 'enquiring' minds want to know? .. crap shoot at every level .. so few here are pragmatic enough to accept the obvious ..

Most 4th rounders don't make the NHL obviously. Plus Dalpe is still young and considered an older prospect who is borderline NHL capable so I would say there is a higher probability of Dalpe becoming a value asset vs that 4th round pick.

I don't think Dalpe sucks, he hasn't really been given any minutes. 3 shots on goal, 50% on the faceoff circle, even rating, drew a penalty.

Not much doubt that Richardson and Santorelli have looked good. Indeed they appear good value for contract.

We will still need upgrades on our bottom two lines though?

Santorelli is more talented than Dwight King. But a line with Santorelli and Richardson can get out muscled by SJ, LA or St Louis. They will be at a speed disadvantage against Chicago or Montreal. These are moneyball signings; not 220 lb Malhotra and 217 lb Raffi Torres, who both also had world class speed. In a game of match ups, which the play off's are all about, top teams have players that physically we will have a lot of trouble contending with.

Santorelli and Richardson looked good against Edmonton and Calgary, not San Jose. Lets reserve our excitement a tad? Or at least until we pair them with a truly big, fast, nasty winger who can play.

You're oversimplifying things.

One could use this simple size formula and make a lot of assumptions that are simply wrong.

The Blackhawks for example rolled with a third line of Marcus Kruger and Andrew Shaw - they rolled over those teams you mentioned - took LA out in 5 games and were 6-1 combined against the Sharks and St Louis.

Your assumption that a Richardson and Santorelli line would get either outmuscled or outskated imo is a choice you are making to turd colour your glasses. Like your advice, why don't you wait and see.

The Canucks handed the Blackhawds their worst, most embarrassing loss of the season last year - and that came without the combination of speed and grit that these two have to offer.

Richardson is 6' 197lbs and Santorelli 6' 189lbs - both bigger than Kruger (181) and Shaw (180).

The difference between Richardson/Santorelli and Colin Fraser/Trevor Lewis is 1lb.

The Canucks might stand to upgrade a depth winger, but Richardson and Santorelli have nothing to do with that.

In the summer most peoples projected line ups had him in the press box or waived for the farm teams top line offense. I'm loving he's a local kid, along with the other canadians we have added, we can't have enough centers who can play wing on the depth chart. It would be soooooo crazy if he suddenly exploded as the next Sedin winger. From what I've seen he looks better than previous canucks signings, he's no Santala already thankfully. I think at his contract rate there will be almost no comparables this year in the league if he's consistent.

Most 4th rounders don't make the NHL obviously. Plus Dalpe is still young and considered an older prospect who is borderline NHL capable so I would say there is a higher probability of Dalpe becoming a value asset vs that 4th round pick.

I don't think Dalpe sucks, he hasn't really been given any minutes. 3 shots on goal, 50% on the faceoff circle, even rating, drew a penalty.

Exactly the point I was making .. Dalpe needs to learn our system, and then realize this may be his last chance at "The Game", and next year he will be ready to be the 2014 Santorelli, if only for one, glorious month ..

Archived