The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Kassian benefit from spending time in the AHL?

Junkyard Dog

He can't be sent down, cause it makes the GM look bad.

Should he be sent down? Yes. Give him a few more games, then definitely send him down. That will wake him up. If I remember correctly, the last season he was in Buffalo he spent a lot of time on their farm team (aka - he wasn't ready then either).

All stems from the fact that the GM thought we needed to get tougher at any cost. Remember that? Just have to get tougher.... well.... Did the GM really think you could make the team tougher in one off-season? And where is that mantra now? Current mantra is we have to get younger. 2 years from now we will be trading picks to push for a cup.

It's like Sidhdartha. Herman Hesse. After a start to life with meditation, our young Buddha starts to do business, and is clearly superior to other businessmen, as he has higher ethics and thinks outside the box. Fast forward a few years, and the young Buddha is no better than any other businessman. You become what surrounds you, whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not.

Right now this team is not the right place for a young player. You need to get young players in the right environment. This team right now is finally realizing it's over. They will either push through and by 20 games we will see the team of old for another year or 2... or we tank. I think we will push through, cause I'm an optimist... but as a realist I would say that the prognosis is not good - too many holes in the lineup, notably the 2 empty spaces in the lineup by the 2 bad trades for CH and CS.

Back on topic: Kassian: He looks like he is not ready to take on more than a 4th line role right now... 3rd line maybe. So put him on the 3/4th line and let him get comfortable. I'm not sure sending him down would do anything but wreck him actually... regardless of the uncertainty with the team right now. Same with Schroeder. They can't really be sent down. See how he progresses naturally. Why parachute him onto the 1st / 2nd line - it doesn't make sense.

He's played one game as so many have said - needs a few before anyone can say where he's at.

I really don't get the idea that somehow he deserves to be on or will thrive on the first line. Nothing he has done yet has shown that he deserves to be there yet.

He can't be sent down, cause it makes the GM look bad.

Should he be sent down? Yes. Give him a few more games, then definitely send him down. That will wake him up. If I remember correctly, the last season he was in Buffalo he spent a lot of time on their farm team (aka - he wasn't ready then either).

All stems from the fact that the GM thought we needed to get tougher at any cost. Remember that? Just have to get tougher.... well.... Did the GM really think you could make the team tougher in one off-season? And where is that mantra now? Current mantra is we have to get younger. 2 years from now we will be trading picks to push for a cup.

It's like Sidhdartha. Herman Hesse. After a start to life with meditation, our young Buddha starts to do business, and is clearly superior to other businessmen, as he has higher ethics and thinks outside the box. Fast forward a few years, and the young Buddha is no better than any other businessman. You become what surrounds you, whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not.

Right now this team is not the right place for a young player. You need to get young players in the right environment. This team right now is finally realizing it's over. They will either push through and by 20 games we will see the team of old for another year or 2... or we tank. I think we will push through, cause I'm an optimist... but as a realist I would say that the prognosis is not good - too many holes in the lineup, notably the 2 empty spaces in the lineup by the 2 bad trades for CH and CS.

Back on topic: Kassian: He looks like he is not ready to take on more than a 4th line role right now... 3rd line maybe. So put him on the 3/4th line and let him get comfortable. I'm not sure sending him down would do anything but wreck him actually... regardless of the uncertainty with the team right now. Same with Schroeder. They can't really be sent down. See how he progresses naturally. Why parachute him onto the 1st / 2nd line - it doesn't make sense.

Kassian might get a little more out of the AHL but that's mostly just confidence level. There are more than enough things about him that he should be ready to be in the NHL and be building to a better player. In some cases he's doing that but the production and consistency haven't come along with it yet. They will though.

He's played one game as so many have said - needs a few before anyone can say where he's at.

I really don't get the idea that somehow he deserves to be on or will thrive on the first line. Nothing he has done yet has shown that he deserves to be there yet.

Yes I assume some were directed to the OP and I know some were not. Why would I include them all then? I don't like seeing the same sh*t from a different toilet if you can get that metaphor. If you don't then I will tell you straight up. I don't like seeing 5 people saying the same thing. I know it is kind of silly but it grinds my gears. No hard feelings.

lol - sooo much here to be irritated by though.

My basic point was to disagree with the flavour of a lot of posts (this thread and others) that somehow Kassian excelled beyond question with the Sedins and is thus the saviour for their scoring issues.

Lets start with heavy forechecking? Then I can agree he should stay up in the NHL.

I would agree he has NHL skills, athleticism and size, plus a good enough body of results in the minors. So yeah, he deserves a chance to stay! He seemed to play well last year with the Twins; but they add so much structure its easier to perform. On other lines (where guys are looking at him to establish where plays are going), he does seem a bit lost. Not necessarily out of position, just not aggressively pursuing play from that position. To be blunt; he's been to passive so far in the NHL.

Forechecking is a great place to establish a higher pace of play which is not likely to put the team at a disadvantage. And once you force the pace of play upwards a few things happen. First it lends itself well into the skills of guys Kassian is likely to play with. It will improve Kassian's in game fitness, and create an opportunity to make decisions at a higher pace. Perhaps he'll make a few mistakes, but I'll live with that (in part cuz mistakes at that end are a lot less dangerous). However, there will also be turnovers and chances created his more experienced linemates will know how to jump on. They will steal the puck off his work and there is more space an time in this situation., His skillset will more readily take advantage. Confidence will grow and he can start looking at more and more ways to be aggressive.

So lets start with good positioning in our end, and hell bent pursuit and forechecking in the other!

Yeah, I agree that he's been too passive. I think that passiveness can only be removed at the NHL level because I think the passiveness is due to Kassian still not being 100% mentally comfortable being in the NHL. He's still young and still trying to find his game - he has all the right tools but he is second guessing. Being up here is the only way he can realize that he belongs here and is one of the bigger guys in this league so that he can start playing comfortably as a PF.

He needs to learn to become aggressive and dominate physically. That's not something that just comes with being big - you need to learn to use your size effectively and Kassian can only learn that here.

We actually saw some improvement in regards to that later in the year when he was paired with Booth and had Schroeder centering that line. They seemed to have a ton of energy and were strong on the forecheck. They didn't produce in that short period but seemed to have chemistry.

I believe his biggest problem is between the ears. He doesn't seem to be able to recognize what to do or when to do it. The physical skills are there, you can see them at different times. They just don't come together consistently. Maybe he just doesn't have the intelligence and or maturity to put his game together to play at this level. I'm hopeful he can, but I am not confident. Maybe some time in a lower league would help. I think he needs a mentor to help him figure things out (older experienced player)

I am also seriously questioniing the leadership on this team (player and management) as I am hearing all the right things being said, I am just not seeing the results. I know it's early in the season but I am thinking back over a longer period of time. The player moves (Schneider, CoHo, Luongo not being dealt, lack of addressing positional shortcomings etc) I also wonder if there is some division in the locker room amongst the players after all this.

It happens, especially when a core has been together this long.

Archived