The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Naslund will not be the GM för MoDo next season

supermanbieksa

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/modo/article18539384.ab

It's comfirmed that Naslund will not continiue as gm next season. The article mentions rumours that he might be a part of the Canucks organisation. But he just says he wont be speculating in any rumours.

The question is though, do you think he could be a good option if Gillis is fired, either as head gm or assistant gm(as maybe Laurence Gilman might be hanging loose as well)?

This is our big opportunity. Make Naslund GM, Trevor Linden Assistant GM, have Stan Smyl working closely with them, and bring in more former Canucks to key positions.

I would trust Naslund and Linden to make key trade decisions far more than Gillis.

The Edmonton "past glory" model. No thanks.

This is our big opportunity. Make Naslund GM, Trevor Linden Assistant GM, have Stan Smyl working closely with them, and bring in more former Canucks to key positions.

I would trust Naslund and Linden to make key trade decisions far more than Gillis.

and in 3-5 years you'll be chasing them out of town and their legacies will be ruined forever.

Interesting?

I don't know how much being GM of Modo translates to managing an NHL team? Just ignorance of their system on my part; how they draft, access to player markets, do they run business operations?

But Interesting. Its still a guy managing a world class hockey operation in one of the worlds best leagues.

Interesting?

I don't know how much being GM of Modo translates to managing an NHL team? Just ignorance of their system on my part; how they draft, access to player markets, do they run business operations?

But Interesting. Its still a guy managing a world class hockey operation in one of the worlds best leagues.

There is no drafting in Sweden, nor is there a salary cap and trading doesn't happen as much.

The Edmonton "past glory" model. No thanks.

and in 3-5 years you'll be chasing them out of town and their legacies will be ruined forever.

To these I counter:

- Our current 'glory model' isn't exactly bringing us success. We need to change the direction of our team from top to bottom. A completely new management team would bring fresh perspective and impetus to our franchise.

- If they did a poor job, then yes, I would expect them to be fired. However regardless of their performance as GM/AGM, Naslund and Linden would forever remain legends of the franchise. Regardless of how poor they were as management. Nothing could ever take away from their achievements on the ice.

To these I counter:

- Our current 'glory model' isn't exactly bringing us success. We need to change the direction of our team from top to bottom. A completely new management team would bring fresh perspective and impetus to our franchise.

- If they did a poor job, then yes, I would expect them to be fired. However regardless of their performance as GM/AGM, Naslund and Linden would forever remain legends of the franchise. Regardless of how poor they were as management. Nothing could ever take away from their achievements on the ice.

i somehow doubt that's how it would turn out in reality. these fans turn on people so quickly its ridiculous. they already turned on naslund once.

there's no doubt the canucks need new management blood, but hiring a figure head like naslund or linden is undoubtedly the wrong choice. why wouldn't you want the best guy for the job, which would certainly be an existing nhl assistant gm?

i somehow doubt that's how it would turn out in reality. these fans turn on people so quickly its ridiculous. they already turned on naslund once.

there's no doubt the canucks need new management blood, but hiring a figure head like naslund or linden is undoubtedly the wrong choice. why wouldn't you want the best guy for the job, which would certainly be an existing nhl assistant gm?

I ignore the vast majority of Canucks fans, as I'm sure the players and management does. The way they turned on Naslund towards the end of his Nucks career was embarrassing.

As for the best guy for the job, I'm not sure I do want that. If you hire the best guy for the job - whoever that may be - and he can't turn things around, then no-one worth their salt will take over from him. I'd rather go for someone with new ideas and a blank slate, like Naslund, than someone who already has pre-conceived ideas about the team and how to operate as a GM.

But that's just me.

Archived