The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Naslund will not be the GM för MoDo next season

supermanbieksa

this is true. I'm sure Naslund hasn't forgot how some of the mouth breathers in this fan base treated him at the end of his tenure here.

Ya, that had a lot to do with him leaving. People giving him a hard time even when he was picking his kids up at school and the like.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/modo/article18539384.ab It's comfirmed that Naslund will not continiue as gm next season. The article mentions rumours that he might be a part of the Canucks organisation. But he just says he wont be speculating in any rumours. The question is though, do you think he could be a good option if Gillis is fired, either as head gm or assistant gm(as maybe Laurence Gilman might be hanging loose as well)?

Whether is is fair or not, our team is suffering for not having a representative who is part of the old boys club

For example, Brian Burke is really a terrible GM... but he gets success because he has a big voice in how the league operates as he is inside the circle. The salary recapture rule was almost verbatim of what he wanted and at the time was of direct benefit to his attempt to acquire Luongo.

I am not saying I want Burke back... but Naslund isn't a big improvement over Gillis in terms of his credibility around the league.

I say you spend whatever it takes to hire Gretzky and give him a guy like Gilman as his wing man for the more technical and cap stuff. The league would tiptoe a lot more lightly around this team in order to not get badmouthed by The Great One on camera.

Naslund as Head of European Scouting sounds pretty good

My opinion at least.

There is no evidence that Naslund would be an effective NHL General Manager. In four years with Modo, his team's winning percentage averages out around .514, so he hasn't exactly built a powerhouse, even with Peter Forsberg as his assistant. All the new GM hires in the league have to undergo pretty serious interviews and vetting. Unless somebody has front office experience with an NHL team, it would be folly to hire an outsider. Wait, the Aquilinis hired a player agent. Never mind. Go, Nazzy.

This is our big opportunity. Make Naslund GM, Trevor Linden Assistant GM, have Stan Smyl working closely with them, and bring in more former Canucks to key positions.

I would trust Naslund and Linden to make key trade decisions far more than Gillis.

. Doubt linden would, he's building his fitness empire

ummmmm

I wouldn't want to bring in more rookies in the management postion. We've already given that gift to MG. It would be a mistake to continue bringing in people with zero experience.

and kindly post the team record of the Vancouver Canucks ever since mike Gillis took over the team. While your at it, please kindly post the number of times we wont he division title, Western Conference titles and the Presidents trophy. While your there, please kindly post the mount of Western conference titles and Presidents trophy this team has won under another GM, and find my a CAnucks gm that has a better winning record then Mike Gillis.

Thank you in advance.

Where there is smoke there is fire. I ca see Aqua firing one (8 million) either MG or JT, but not both (16 million).

Torts is Aqua's guy...

and whose guy is gillis?

if memory serves, when he was hired, there weren't even any other candidates interviewed ...

I ignore the vast majority of Canucks fans, as I'm sure the players and management does. The way they turned on Naslund towards the end of his Nucks career was embarrassing.

As for the best guy for the job, I'm not sure I do want that. If you hire the best guy for the job - whoever that may be - and he can't turn things around, then no-one worth their salt will take over from him. I'd rather go for someone with new ideas and a blank slate, like Naslund, than someone who already has pre-conceived ideas about the team and how to operate as a GM.

But that's just me.

Sort of like how the fans turned on the Sedins and Luongo...

hmm...

Would be a bad idea to promote someone, even someone with such a great history with us, without any industry experience. At least MG was an agent first. I would be glad for him to be a permanent part of our organization though, and maybe one day take a bigger position. Same goes for Linden. I think Linden would make a great GM with experience in our organization.

Archived