The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post your front office overhaul

tas

it seems safe to assume that there will be some degree of change within the off-ice makeup of the team during this coming off season. post what your hierarchy would be if you were the man in charge.

mine would be:

mike gillis | president, hockey operations and alternate governor - responsible for all hockey operations; reports to ownership

victor de bonis | chief operating officer and alternate governor - responsible for canucks sports and entertainment as a business; reports to ownership

laurence gilman | executive vice president, hockey operations - largely responsible for contract negotiations and salary cap management; reports to mike gillis

lorne henning | executive vice president, player personnel and general manager, utica comets - responsible for scouting staff and player development as well as management of the comets; reports to mike gillis

paul fenton | general manager - responsible for on-ice hockey operations and coaching staff; reports to mike gillis

steve tambellini | assistant general manager - token member of the old boys club and is well respected around the league; reports to paul fenton

stan smyl | director, player development - oversees scouting and player development departments; reports to paul fenton and lorne henning

markus naslund | senior advisor to the gm - works with management in all areas; reports to paul fenton

scouting staff remains the same and coaching staff tbd by paul fenton.

We'll I just posted this in another topic, but here it is. Any thinks that there is going to be sweeping changes don't have a clue about NTC

With the way JENSEN is playing, I can see the line up next year

BURROWS H. SEDIN JENSEN

D. SEDIN HORVAT ?

HIGGINS MATTHIAS KASSIAN

SESTITO RICHARSON HANSEN

SCHROEDER DALPHE

buy out Booth, trade KESLER for a top 6 forward and we have significant cap space also for a top d-man, or keep KESLER and put him on second line wing. There should still be enough for a good UFA. R hand shooting d-man with Luongo and Booth's money and with increasing cap

HAMHIUS ?

EDLER TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

We'll I just posted this in another topic, but here it is. Any thinks that there is going to be sweeping changes don't have a clue about NTC

BURROWS H. SEDIN JENSEN

D. SEDIN HORVAT ?

HIGGINS MATTHIAS KASSIAN

SESTITO RICHARSON HANSEN

SCHROEDER DALPHE

buy out Booth, trade KESLER for a top 6 forward and we have significant cap space also for a top d-man, or keep KESLER and put him on second line wing. There should still be enough for a good UFA. R hand shooting d-man with Luongo and Booth's money and with increasing cap

HAMHIUS ?

EDLER TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

so you didn't read the op at all then?

it seems safe to assume that there will be some degree of change within the off-ice makeup of the team during this coming off season. post what your hierarchy would be if you were the man in charge.

mine would be:

mike gillis | president, hockey operations and alternate governor - responsible for all hockey operations; reports to ownership

victor de bonis | chief operating officer and alternate governor - responsible for canucks sports and entertainment as a business; reports to ownership

laurence gilman | executive vice president, hockey operations - largely responsible for contract negotiations and salary cap management; reports to mike gillis

lorne henning | executive vice president, player personnel and general manager, utica comets - responsible for scouting staff and player development as well as management of the comets; reports to mike gillis

paul fenton | general manager - responsible for on-ice hockey operations and coaching staff; reports to mike gillis

steve tambellini | assistant general manager - token member of the old boys club and is well respected around the league; reports to paul fenton

stan smyl | director, player development - oversees scouting and player development departments; reports to paul fenton

markus naslund | senior advisor to the gm - works with management in all areas; reports to paul fenton

scouting staff remains the same and coaching staff tbd by paul fenton.

This is almost exactly what I hope will happen, except for Tamby as assistant GM.

The hockey operations and GM roles being split is the model most of the top teams are using nowadays.

Edit: I'd rather Gillis (and Torts) be fired right after the season, but I'm assuming the slum lord won't clean house, so my plan B is to move him to hockey op's and get someone like Fenton who's paid his dues, but is still young and energetic and has learned the business from some top notch people.

I was about to quote the post but after seeing the length of it, decided not too. Partially because there are waaaaaay too many old faces in there. Tambellini, are you kidding me? That guy is about as smart as an inbred yak. Stan Smyl, sorry, what has he done? Get rid of all those guys you mentioned because if you aint gonna overhaul and start fresh, then you're only going half way and not making a statement worth poop. I dont know who that other guy you tout for next GM is. Sounds like a cottage cheese retailer.

Keep Mike Gillis? No thanks.

Instead of bringing in Naslund (which I have to guess is mostly for sentimental reasons) why not bring in someone who actually has been part of a successful NHL club?

NO to bringing Tambi back. Don't need the 'old boys' Edmonton Oilers-style management.

Bring in some new ideas from other clubs, preferably ones that actually get something done with their young players.

Scouting staff might need some tweaking also. Whoever told Gillis that Kassian would be a good pick up needs to be served his or her walking papers.

This is almost exactly what I hope will happen, except for Tamby as assistant GM.

The hockey operations and GM roles being split is the model most of the top teams are using nowadays.

Edit: I'd rather Gillis (and Torts) be fired right after the season, but I'm assuming the slum lord won't clean house, so my plan B is to move him to hockey op's and get someone like Fenton who's paid his dues, but is still young and energetic and has learned the business from some top notch people.

I'm too lazy to get into details .. i know this ... id say " thank you so much for your years of service mr delorme , your no longer needed here .. all the best ...."

BURROWS H. SEDIN JENSEN

D. SEDIN HORVAT ?

HIGGINS MATTHIAS KASSIAN

SESTITO RICHARSON HANSEN

SCHROEDER DALPHE

HAMHIUS ?

EDLER TANEV

GARRISON BIEKSA

First off, that's not what the topic is even about. Second, you criticize people about making big theoretical changes to the team when so many players have NTCs, then choose to get rid of a player with an NTC in your theoretical line up. Third, assuming Kesler wants to leave (which he's clearly stated he doesn't), and assuming the Canucks find a willing trading partner, who's the magical 2nd liner that is going to replace Kesler and all he brings to the team?

What happened to Stanton in the lineup? Are we ditching Santorelli now? I kind of hope you were just trolling dude.

First off, that's not what the topic is even about. Second, you criticize people about making big theoretical changes to the team when so many players have NTCs, then choose to get rid of a player with an NTC in your theoretical line up. Third, assuming Kesler wants to leave (which he's clearly stated he doesn't), and assuming the Canucks find a willing trading partner, who's the magical 2nd liner that is going to replace Kesler and all he brings to the team?

What happened to Stanton in the lineup? Are we ditching Santorelli now? I kind of hope you were just trolling dude.

Just think about it, this little argument wouldn't be happening right now if Mike Gillis hadn't whipped up a bunch of NTC's

President - Mike Gillis

Chief Officer - Victor de Bonis

Executive Vice-President of Hockey Operation - Laurence Gilman

Executive Vice-President of Player Personnel - Darcy Regier

General Manager - Stan Smyl

Assistant GM - Geoff Courtnall, Bob Gainey

Senior Advisor/Player Development - Markus Naslund

Head Scout - Paul Reinhart

Associate Head Scout - Ron Delorme

European Scout - Thomas Gradin

Collegiate Scout - Harold Snepsts

Head Coach - Mike Johnston

Assistant Coach - Willie Desjardins

Assistant Coach - Andy Murray

Keep Mike Gillis? No thanks.

Instead of bringing in Naslund (which I have to guess is mostly for sentimental reasons) why not bring in someone who actually has been part of a successful NHL club?

NO to bringing Tambi back. Don't need the 'old boys' Edmonton Oilers-style management.

Bring in some new ideas from other clubs, preferably ones that actually get something done with their young players.

Scouting staff might need some tweaking also. Whoever told Gillis that Kassian would be a good pick up needs to be served his or her walking papers.

mike gillis will almost certainly be retained because of the amount of money he's made for the aquilinis. he's good at that, if not so great at building and maintaining a hockey team.

naslund would be brought in largely for p.r. reasons, but he does have management experience and knows the market as well as anyone.

having a guy like tambellini that's well-respected and well-liked by -- and has in-routes with -- other gms around the league is huge when it comes to working out favorable trades. not to mention he was loyal to this team for damn near 30 years. his lackluster stint with the oilers notwithstanding, he's a very smart hockey man.

the new ideas would come from paul fenton, assistant gm with the predators and gm of their ahl affiliate in milwaukee.

i'm not staunchly opposed to a new scouting staff, but after they were shuffled around a year or two ago and were instructed to shift their priorities, they have seemingly improved, though the proof will be in the pudding.

President - Mike Gillis

Chief Officer - Victor de Bonis

Executive Vice-President of Hockey Operation - Laurence Gilman

Executive Vice-President of Player Personnel - Darcy Regier

General Manager - Stan Smyl

Assistant GM - Geoff Courtnall

Senior Advisor/Player Development - Markus Naslund

Head Scout - Paul Reinhart

Associate Head Scout - Ron Delorme

European Scout - Thomas Gradin

Collegiate Scout - Harold Snepsts

Head Coach - Mike Johnston

Assistant Coach - Willie Desjardins

Assistant Coach - Andy Murray

any particular reason for jettisoning henning? the guy has 4 cup rings.

Archived