The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

4 hours ago, zzbottom said:

The Blue Jays seem like a team that is lost at the moment. Donaldson is obviously great, but it was foolish for them to let Encarnacion (who was the heart of the team) go but keep Bautista (who is so washed up). Sanchez (if he can avoid blisters, apparently) and Stroman are definite 1-2 starters, but everywhere else is lacking. Toronto was build offensive-heavy and for those disaster 10-9 games. They reek of a massive rebuild. 

Disagree. Morales put up similar numbers to Edwing, for a lot less money. (and less term)

Not only that, but EE would undoubtedly have taken playing time away from Smoak. 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Atkins set the foundation for Cleveland and why they’re as good as they are now?

I don't think he was the mastermind. Atkins just seems to be all talk so far to me. 

Edited by Xbox

Jays have interest in CC Sabathia. A Cleveland connection what else is new.

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Atkins set the foundation for Cleveland and why they’re as good as they are now?

Sharpio tells Atkins what to do. Cleveland had several losing seasons before reaching World Series.

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

We need a good GM. Anthopolous was not a good GM and neither is Atkins.

AA wasn't as bad as what Jays have right now. At least he got Jays into the playoffs and paid star players unlike Sharpio/Atkins who didn't want pay Price, EE, Donaldson they won't pay him, either. Not to mention all the star players Sharpio traded off via fires sales in Cleveland. Bautista was only brought back for PR with EE leaving. 

Edited by fivethej

1 minute ago, fivethej said:

Jays have interest in CC Sabathia. A Cleveland connection what else is new.

Sharpio tells Atkins what to do. Cleveland had several losing seasons before reaching World Series.

AA wasn't as bad as what Jays have right now. At least he got Jays into the playoffs and paid star players unlike Sharpio/Atkins who didn't want pay Price, EE, Donaldson they don't won't pay him, either. Bautista was only brought back for PR with EE leaving. 

If they don't pay him then they better trade him for a kings ransom to St. Louis. Having him walk or entering the season with that possibility is unacceptable.

5 minutes ago, Xbox said:

If they don't pay him then they better trade him for a kings ransom to St. Louis. Having him walk or entering the season with that possibility is unacceptable.

Cards have alot of interest in Donaldson but Jays don't want to trade him right now. Trying to save face with fan base because of backlash that will follow if/when he's traded. Or else they keep him until deadline in hopes of getting even more of return. 

4 minutes ago, fivethej said:

Cards have alot of interest in Donaldson but Jays don't want to trade him right now. Trying to save face with fan base because of backlash that will follow if/when he's traded. Or else they keep him until deadline in hopes of getting even more of return. 

I think the time to trade Donaldson is now imo. The interest is high, his value is high, and we have teams like St. Louis who reallyyyyy want him. Why not cash in now?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I started thinking like this about a month ago when all I kept seeing was Jays interested in more power bats then addressing the real issues speed and avg.

Right? All this talk about speed and getting younger and we haven't done any of that yet. There were players last year who had more triples than the entire Toronto Blue Jays.

Also talking about how he's a GM of a big market team and that Rogers gives him all this money and resources to work with (Atkins said Toronto has more money to throw around than most other teams) and we have yet to see 1 signing that indicates that. I know we have players already making 20M but would be nice to see some of this talk in action. Of course spending money for the sake of spending money is bad but they have not offered a single player more than 20M annually. Donaldson deserves north of that.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

Right? All this talk about speed and getting younger and we haven't done any of that yet. There were players last year who had more triples than the entire Toronto Blue Jays.

Also talking about how he's a GM of a big market team and that Rogers gives him all this money and resources to work with (Atkins said Toronto has more money to throw around than most other teams) and we have yet to see 1 signing that indicates that. I know we have players already making 20M but would be nice to see some of this talk in action. Of course spending money for the sake of spending money is bad but they have not offered a single player more than 20M annually. Donaldson deserves north of that.

Like it's obvious there is no Bautista this year, but they're out there looking to replace him with a power bat when they already have the assets in the system to start making a shift to more small ball speed which they lack. I forgot about Hernandez he looked good from the sample size I saw last year, that's already Pearce, Pillar, Hernandez, Carrera, they speak of Alford a lot, who knows about Pompey but that's at least 6 they have to choose from and they want more? Maybe get ride of Pearce and then I'd be okay with acquiring another outfielder, but all I see is as long as Pearce is still here they want him to play, so that takes a spot away from a younger player because they want to aquire someone else to play RF, so what's the point of having prospects in this organization?

Then all these rumors for a 37 year old Sabathia who's definitely on decline over weight injury prone now, to be the answer? Don't get me wrong he used to be a dominate pitcher but he isn't that anymore, yes he gives you innings but how many will be good innings. I just see this management trying to aquire older cheaper options then spending to get the right assets.

No question when you see guys like Tulo and Martin making $20M no question Donaldson deserves to be higher then that, but again I don't see the Jays committing long term with that kind of money. This management will probably try and sign a 1 year contract with him with a slap in the face, yes Donaldson has said he WANTS to end his career here, but if Donaldson really cares about his career he should ask to be traded with how this organization treats those kinds of players. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Like it's obvious there is no Bautista this year, but they're out there looking to replace him with a power bat when they already have the assets in the system to start making a shift to more small ball speed which they lack. I forgot about Hernandez he looked good from the sample size I saw last year, that's already Pearce, Pillar, Hernandez, Carrera, they speak of Alford a lot, who knows about Pompey but that's at least 6 they have to choose from and they want more? Maybe get ride of Pearce and then I'd be okay with acquiring another outfielder, but all I see is as long as Pearce is still here they want him to play, so that takes a spot away from a younger player because they want to aquire someone else to play RF, so what's the point of having prospects in this organization?

Then all these rumors for a 37 year old Sabathia who's definitely on decline over weight injury prone now, to be the answer? Don't get me wrong he used to be a dominate pitcher but he isn't that anymore, yes he gives you innings but how many will be good innings. I just see this management trying to aquire older cheaper options then spending to get the right assets.

No question when you see guys like Tulo and Martin making $20M no question Donaldson deserves to be higher then that, but again I don't see the Jays committing long term with that kind of money. This management will probably try and sign a 1 year contract with him with a slap in the face, yes Donaldson has said he WANTS to end his career here, but if Donaldson really cares about his career he should ask to be traded with how this organization treats those kinds of players. 

If we start the season with Donaldson under contract for only 2018 I'll be pretty pissed. That's the ultimate way to mishandle an asset. I'd be ok keeping him if they offered him something like 5x25M to at least show him we're interested and serious.  Agreed about the older vets taking away roster spots.. not a fan. Just let Pompey have a chance because he's running out of time. Sabathia would be ok because he'd be our 5th and we have lots of space for pitchers, it's more the fielding I'm concerned about. I don't even think Bautista will be in the MLB this year.

27 minutes ago, Xbox said:

If we start the season with Donaldson under contract for only 2018 I'll be pretty pissed. That's the ultimate way to mishandle an asset. I'd be ok keeping him if they offered him something like 5x25M to at least show him we're interested and serious.  Agreed about the older vets taking away roster spots.. not a fan. Just let Pompey have a chance because he's running out of time. Sabathia would be ok because he'd be our 5th and we have lots of space for pitchers, it's more the fielding I'm concerned about. I don't even think Bautista will be in the MLB this year.

Yeah that would be a far offer at least offer it like you say, there's still the rumor of waiting until the trade deadline with JD and see where the Jays are then. Why waste that much on a 5th starter who's not as dominate as once before just for innings.... Why not use the money to address the Bullpen instead and go find a cheap option for your 5th starter if you just want innings. Regarding Bautista well he can't expect to be paid in double digits if he really wants to play in the MLB still, he will have to take a huge pay cut that's the only way and if he accepts that a team will sign him I think.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah that would be a far offer at least offer it like you say, there's still the rumor of waiting until the trade deadline with JD and see where the Jays are then. Why waste that much on a 5th starter who's not as dominate as once before just for innings.... Why not use the money to address the Bullpen instead and go find a cheap option for your 5th starter if you just want innings. Regarding Bautista well he can't expect to be paid in double digits if he really wants to play in the MLB still, he will have to take a huge pay cut that's the only way and if he accepts that a team will sign him I think.

Doesn't sound like it's a one or the other thing because money isn't the issue. It's finding the right guys who want to come here. I'd welcome Bautista back for a bench role and can be subbed in at key times to bat. That would never happen though. Gibby would just play him everyday.

If that rumour is true about JD that is the worst case scenario. That would be such a stupid thing to do.

Edited by Xbox

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

Doesn't sound like it's a one or the other thing because money isn't the issue. It's finding the right guys who want to come here. I'd welcome Bautista back for a bench role and can be subbed in at key times to bat. That would never happen though. Gibby would just play him everyday.

If that rumour is true about JD that is the worst case scenario. That would be such a stupid thing to do.

You bet it will be money when it comes down to what they have left especially if they go after a RF and Sabathia (rumor I saw was New York or Angels for Sabathia) they'll probably spend about $20-$25M in just those 2 spots covers Bautista money and more. Then lingering in the back of their minds what to offer JD which will affect addressing the Bullpen because they won't have enough, they'll have to look at cheap options and hope like every year.

17 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You bet it will be money when it comes down to what they have left especially if they go after a RF and Sabathia (rumor I saw was New York or Angels for Sabathia) they'll probably spend about $20-$25M in just those 2 spots covers Bautista money and more. Then lingering in the back of their minds what to offer JD which will affect addressing the Bullpen because they won't have enough, they'll have to look at cheap options and hope like every year.

Yep which is why the Jays are all talk. If Atkins is serious about what he is saying then JD deserves a long term contract.

CC Sabathia re signed in NY for $10M. Any other team CC would get like 14M

Edited by Xbox

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Yep which is why the Jays are all talk. If Atkins is serious about what he is saying then JD deserves a long term contract.

CC Sabathia re signed in NY for $10M. Any other team CC would get like 14M

Taking Atkins serious... Good luck with that he does seem to be a lot of talk, that I've been noticing. 

They have a good team so not surprised to see him resign especially if NY was willing to bring him back, definitely would of cost more to sell him to leave there.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:27 PM, shiznak said:

FYI, Sabathia posted a ERA under 2.00 in the post-season, and pitched pretty well in the second half of the regular season. I wouldn't mind having him as a 5th starter for a year.

Yep. Depending on the price, of course....