The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did it not sound as if Francesco Aquilini insinuated that Torts is gone?

nitti999

Listening to the Linden/Aquilini press this morning Francesco made a comment that hiring Torterrela was Mike Gillis's fault. He said that was completely his decision and he is responsible for that move. One argument is that Francesco didn't force Gillis to make the hiring but the tone sounded to me more as if it was a mistake Gillis made. Thoughts?

Listening to the Linden/Aquilini press this morning Francesco made a comment that hiring Torterrela was Mike Gillis's fault. He said that was completely his decision and he is responsible for that move. One argument is that Francesco didn't force Gillis to make the hiring but the tone sounded to me more as if it was a mistake Gillis made. Thoughts?

Fire Torts ;)

Frankie is amateur hour .. he can deny anything he said .. sounds like he was stressing that Tort's was Gillis' man, and in essence, handed Tort's a 'dead fish' .. ya know .. sometimes ya have ta sacrifice someone to keep every buddy on dere toes .. good marketing ploy tho .. and Trevor is an icon .. if there is a 'buy-out' clause in Tort's contract then he is literally 'sleeping wit' da' fishes' .. welcome Kevin Dineen to VanCity.

It doesn't even matter whoever's "fault" it was for initiating this Torts experiment, Gillis probably wouldn't even care now at all.

He leaves the criticism and scrutiny from the mess he made in Vancity, going home and getting the millions he's owed now just to relax and watch what unfolds. Lucky guy doesn't need to deal with this crap anymore. In this market with such a "bipolar" fanbase that suffocates anyone connected to this team, I feel sorry for the next GM coming in.

I say give Torts 2 seasons.. You are not expecting a new coach to get the team to the playoffs. It take times for a coach to get familiar with the system. Look at AV when he first got here, for example..

I agree with the 2 seasons, just not with Torts,, the things that went down this year with him are very worrisome and I am concerned about his system taking out half our team again..let alone how is he going to be with our rookies.

This guy is just the wrong fit here...I see shades of Mike Keenan flashing before my eyes.

I do not envy the position that Linden is in. Do you fire your one time Stanley Cup winning coach after one season and risk angering the fan base, or do you bring in your own guy while you rebuild/re-tool the team.

I think Torts should get another year to settle in with this roster and understand the west coast travel. I believe he failed in that respect which may have had something to do with all the injuries.

I really like Torts but I'm not sure this is the right fit for him. It would be 100% fair to give him another crack with a competitive and healthy roster but it would need an overhaul to fit his system.

If he's back - I wish him luck - if he's not - I wish the guy well.

When asked if he was involved in Torts' hiring, he said something to the effect of "Mike hired him, I supported that decision...that's why we have a change in direction today".

I thought it was fairly revealing when I heard it.

I do not envy the position that Linden is in. Do you fire your one time Stanley Cup winning coach after one season and risk angering the fan base, or do you bring in your own guy while you rebuild/re-tool the team.

You do whatever you feel will make the team most successful.

When asked if he was involved in Torts' hiring, he said something to the effect of "Mike hired him, I supported that decision...that's why we have a change in direction today".

I thought it was fairly revealing when I heard it.

Yikes! Torts is done.

Archived