The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did it not sound as if Francesco Aquilini insinuated that Torts is gone?

nitti999

Don't fire Torts just yet , if players think he's coming back the right ones will waive NTC's and rest will come back ultra fit 4 camp.

If the players exit interviews (the ones u want to build with) show Torts is liked then really the new GM needs to consider whether he gives Torts a second chance with the new players he's bringing in and whether they fit his style.

Judging how this organization treats guys that fight for them (Bertuzzi , Bitz, torts etc....) i would expect Torts to get fired Monday morning.

Don't fire Torts just yet , if players think he's coming back the right ones will waive NTC's and rest will come back ultra fit 4 camp.

If the players exit interviews (the ones u want to build with) show Torts is liked then really the new GM needs to consider whether he gives Torts a second chance with the new players he's bringing in and whether they fit his style.

Problem is we also have guys we'd like to re-sign and UFA's to attract too. Your first point works against that.

Agree with the second though. If the only guys complaining about Torts are the players you plan to move.... But I REALLY don't think that will be the case.

I say give Torts 2 seasons.. You are not expecting a new coach to get the team to the playoffs. It take times for a coach to get familiar with the system. Look at AV when he first got here, for example..

are you joking? I absolutely expect any coach to get his team to the playoffs

Problem is we also have guys we'd like to re-sign and UFA's to attract too. Your first point works against that.

Not only that, but I'm not sure that negative motivation is better than positive motivation.

A new start, a new coach could inspire these guys to work as hard as ever just as much as the prospect to returning under Torts imo.

The other thing - I've never seen this team anywhere near as lifeless as it has been in the past months under Tortorella. I'm not sure I'd want that to continue to hang over the summer. I think they're better off following through on their declarations of change and leave this failed experiment in the rear view mirror as opposed to thinking somehow it is going to refresh itself and take on an entirely new and different life.

I really like Torts but I'm not sure this is the right fit for him. It would be 100% fair to give him another crack with a competitive and healthy roster but it would need an overhaul to fit his system.

If he's back - I wish him luck - if he's not - I wish the guy well.

I'm of the same mind. I like the guy personally. He is refreshingly candid and thoughtful. He has tremendous passion for the game.

But maybe its not what the Canucks needed or were built for at the time. Its tough to say how much injuries played a part in the Canucks dramatic fall or the coaching.

I too hope he is back. I'd like to see him get at least another few months to right the ship. Available coaches are not like star players. It wouldn't be that difficult to replace him if the boat starts leaking bad.

I'm of the same mind. I like the guy personally. He is refreshingly candid and thoughtful. He has tremendous passion for the game.

But maybe its not what the Canucks needed or were built for at the time. Its tough to say how much injuries played a part in the Canucks dramatic fall or the coaching.

I too hope he is back. I'd like to see him get at least another few months to right the ship. Available coaches are not like star players. It wouldn't be that difficult to replace him if the boat starts leaking bad.

Unfortunately I don't think Tort's system works for our players. The minutes certain players like the Sedins are getting and the defensive shot-blocking style is clearly taking its toll. I don't think its so much as Torts looking bad because of injuries but rather Tort's system is increasing those injuries so hes making himself look bad.

I can answer that.

The Canucks scored enough own goals alone to eliminate them from the playoffs.

They scarcely iced a healthy roster twice in the entire season. Even the prospects were injured, including Schroeder multiple times, and Jensen with a shoulder injury in preseason.

Their coach attempted to enter the opponent's locker room to have a go at Hartley.

The team went from one of their best months to one of their worst on the turn of New Year's eve.

That coach was hired in the first place - that was a pretty bizarre start given MG's general approach.

Henrik Sedin was injured repeatedly and could not play in the Olympics.

The Sedins spent more time killing penalties than Hansen.

Tortorella looked at Alex Edler and saw the team's primary shutdown defensemen, not the guy most of us saw, who scored 49 points two years ago (replacing Ehrhoff's production), and 22 in 45 games last year (over a 40 pt pace). On a team with Dan Hamhuis, Jason Garrison, Chris Tanev and Ryan Stanton, Alex Edler faced the strongest quality of competition.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=14&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

This is not a knock on Alex Edler by any stretch of the imagination - I love Edler and am certainly not in the dump on Edler camp - I am just a big fan of using players to their strengths and not trying to make a Steve Yzerman out of the Sedins or Willie Mitchell out of Alex Edler. Dan Hamhuis, the guy that is pretty much the consensus top shutdown defenseman on the team - for some reason wasn't in Tort's favour for months to start the season. Something that pretty much became public record - as were the berating of players like Hansen, Edler, Jensen in full view on the bench. In Hamhuis and Hansen's case in particular - bizarre choices, and in Edler's case, the worst season of his career may have something to do with being miscast in his role. Injuries are one thing that was undeniably out of the control of management and coaching, and the extent alone enough to hamstring a season, but those aside, it remains that virtually everyone not named Higgins, not a bargain UFA offseason signing (Richardson, Santo) , or a youngster (Tanev, Kassian, Stanton, Lack) - had either horrible or sub-par seasons.

Tom Sestito was given not one but two 7 minute penalties.

Roberto Luongo finally moped his way to Florida after leaking his unsolicited advice onto the Kesler context.

The GM was fired explicitly for a hiring that is hard to believe would have even been on his own shortlist shortly after commenting that the team essentially needs to get on the same gameplan/style/systems page - after the coach had used lack of depth as an explanation for his three line approach. Were they on the same page? "No." "Yes."

The only thing that wasn't bizarre was that we got to watch the Leafs tank and miss the playoffs as usual.

I haven't been on CDC since yesterday morning so I missed this response. It was a pretty Darn good answer. I guess it was a bizarre year. :(

Archived