The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did it not sound as if Francesco Aquilini insinuated that Torts is gone?

nitti999

I was never a big fan of Torts and I still don't see him as a Gillis kind of guy. I suspect the owner is throwing MG under the bus.

Regardless, I trust that Trevor will leave 'no stone unturned' when he investigates the teams' lack of success. This will include the various reasons for failure; many of which are not the fault of the coach.

Trev may decide to hold off on making a coaching change until there is a GM in place.

Hopefully the owner will maintain his public promise of giving Trevor full authority.

FA was scared in that interview. I don t think he will be meddling anytime soon lol. His answers were making me laugh after a while. Kept repeating himself thanking Gillis and deflecting to Linden. I am sure he is a good guy though. He seems good natured I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He was probably just trying to help a frustrated and overwhelmed GM who had ran out of ideas. I would leave the FA thing alone for now. Hes learned his lesson regardless of whether or not its true. He is a canucks fan at heart too. Lets just support our team and get excited for the draft :D

When asked if he was involved in Torts' hiring, he said something to the effect of "Mike hired him, I supported that decision...that's why we have a change in direction today".

I thought it was fairly revealing when I heard it.

Yeah,FA totally threw Torts under the bus. Surprised that the media has not made more of this quote from FA

Bro Jake and Pratt were talking about it this morning. It really does seem like torts last game will be this Sunday with Vancouver.

Linden also talked about having a good two-way game, not sacrificing Offense for Defence....

Well that's exactly how torts wants the team to play. If two top NHL scorers getting paid 7 million a piece aren't scoring goals because they've been asked to block shots and kill penalties by the coach, pack his bags and drop him to YVR airport and ship him to Edmonton.

Danny and Hank haven't fallen off THAT much, they'll put up 50+ points next season. Torts style of play will kill them though, if he's still here. I really believe in Linden's player interviews that the coach will get thrown under the bus and he'll be gone.

NO doubt that FA put the Torts hiring on Gillis. Gillis might have regretted the direction that the club evolved away from the puck possession/transition game but that started long before Torts was hired. I suggest that hiring Torts was a continuation of the transition that Gillis started. That said I do not think it the reason for why the Canucks fell apart. The Canucks were physically beaten by the Bruins and by other teams after the fact. Any opposing team coming into Van clearly realized that defeating the Canucks was best achieved by a physical game. I thought Gillis was bang on in drafting bigger and wanting a tougher 'push back'.

Anyone who thinks Linden will not continue the same path of bigger and tougher is simply ignoring a NHL reality. As Linden said in his presser, puck possession does not preclude a solid defensive game. Much referenced Red Wings is a puck possession team with very solid d-zone coverages.

I have lots of Linden moments. One that never escapes me is being at the Saddledome many years ago to watch the Canucks/Flames. Year? One of the worse live games I ever attended. Van was blown out. The only two Canuck players to play the full 60 minutes were Trevor Linden and Gino Odjick. Absolute character players whose presence shone off the ice.

Linden made a comment about " playing the right way " which is Tort language. He also said good D makes a good offense. So it sounds like Torts will be staying.

Linden said he is going to surround himself with good hockey people, which sort of suggests there is a lack of that now.

In case it helps, the exact quote is this:

"Mike hired Tortorella and I supported that decision. I have to take responsibility for that and that's why we have a change in direction today."

Reading between the lines (hardly), Francesco makes it seem like he's apologizing for something. "Mike kicked a dog and I supported that decision. I have to take responsibility for that and that's why we have a change in direction today." You don't "have to take responsibility" for a good decision. Unless Aquilini is saying something he doesn't mean to say, he's clearly seeing the Torts hire as a mistake at this point. The "change in direction" doesn't suggest to me that he's looking to keep Torts. But then again, Aquilini could just be saying or implying what he doesn't mean — a likely circumstance, seeing how uncomfortable he looked in the press conference.

I really think that it will come down to Tort's exit interview.

If he doesn't have the answers then he's done.

Even at this stage, with being outside of the game for 6 years, I'd expect that Linden knows more about the Western Conference than Torts does. It could be a real embarrassment to him if he is exposed for not having the knowledge or plan to beat our opponents.

I agree with you. I would note, however, that it just isn't in Torts' plans to know his opponents. He's interested in "playing our game", whatever that is. He has said so plainly in many interviews. He doesn't care who his opponent is. Up until the last dozen or so games, he made it clear he didn't care about the standings or even look at them. That's what rubs me the wrong way: his myopic, one-sided approach to things. Stubbornness. I don't think that's what Trevor is looking for in his Canucks organization.

In case it helps, the exact quote is this:

"Mike hired Tortorella and I supported that decision. I have to take responsibility for that and that's why we have a change in direction today."

Reading between the lines (hardly), Francesco makes it seem like he's apologizing for something. "Mike kicked a dog and I supported that decision. I have to take responsibility for that and that's why we have a change in direction today." You don't "have to take responsibility" for a good decision. Unless Aquilini is saying something he doesn't mean to say, he's clearly seeing the Torts hire as a mistake at this point. The "change in direction" doesn't suggest to me that he's looking to keep Torts. But then again, Aquilini could just be saying or implying what he doesn't mean — a likely circumstance, seeing how uncomfortable he looked in the press conference.

I agree with you. I would note, however, that it just isn't in Torts' plans to know his opponents. He's interested in "playing our game", whatever that is. He has said so plainly in many interviews. He doesn't care who his opponent is. Up until the last dozen or so games, he made it clear he didn't care about the standings or even look at them. That's what rubs me the wrong way: his myopic, one-sided approach to things. Stubbornness. I don't think that's what Trevor is looking for in his Canucks organization.

No, Torts spoke of "playing the right way". Linden used the same phrase. That tells me Torts is untouchable at this point. Give him another year or two.

I do not envy the position that Linden is in. Do you fire your one time Stanley Cup winning coach after one season and risk angering the fan base, or do you bring in your own guy while you rebuild/re-tool the team.

I can tell you I won't be angered in the least but if that anger others, so be it.

Just to review what was actually said, here's a link to the video:

Starts at 19:29:

Some of the the reporter's question is difficult to hear (and he mumbles and stammers a bit too), but here's my best attempt at a transcription.

Reporter:

"There's been a lot of published quotes about your involvement in hiring coach John Tortorella. I just wanted to know if you could maybe share with us just where in the process [you were] when it took place last summer?"

Aquilini:

"Yeah, Mike hired Tortorella and I supported that decision and uh, so you know, I have to take responsibility for that and um, that's why we have a change in direction today."

To me what was telling in the interview was Linden's comment that he had a profile for staff. So, GM, Coach etc. Isuspect that profile has to do with personality. I have a hard time seeing Torts fitting that profile. That is not to say Torts isn't intelligent or knowledgeable, but Torts persona would seem to me to be the antithesis of what Linden wants.

This is why I suspect Torts will be replaced.

This club was 23-11-7 through the end of December. Did Torts suddenly forget how to coach at the NHL level once the calendar changed to 2014? Why did the wheels fall off? Did the players quit? Was it injuries? Seriously, I'd like to know. Because, I'm still not convinced the decline is all on John Tortorella and his staff. If anything, I think the "fire Torts" mantra has more to do with his perceived harsh and abrasive demeanor, which obviously doesn't fit well with the city nor its' fan base. In that context, of course it wasn't a perfect fit and he was doomed from the start, no matter how much Gillis might have tried to defang him. Regardless who hired the guy --- Gillis or Francesco --- I still think it was the right call, and a bold one at that. I mean, it's not as if there's anyone within the organisation who would've been a better option. As much as I'd like to eventually see someone promoted from within, that just wasn't on the table at the time.

As much as the losing since January embarrasses me as a fan, it's the perception that the organisation is clueless and directionless, and firing John after a mere season will only add weight to that. Remember, this is the same guy who won a Cup with Safe Is Death. So, it's not as if he's capable of coaching only 1 way. He can adapt, given the personnel AND a healthy team.

More than anything, I guess I just dread the thought of a John Stevens-coached Canuck team, even with the possibility he'd bring Terry Murray with him.

This club was 23-11-7 through the end of December. Did Torts suddenly forget how to coach at the NHL level once the calendar changed to 2014? Why did the wheels fall off? Did the players quit? Was it injuries? Seriously, I'd like to know. Because, I'm still not convinced the decline is all on John Tortorella and his staff. If anything, I think the "fire Torts" mantra has more to do with his perceived harsh and abrasive demeanor, which obviously doesn't fit well with the city nor its' fan base. In that context, of course it wasn't a perfect fit and he was doomed from the start, no matter how much Gillis might have tried to defang him. Regardless who hired the guy --- Gillis or Francesco --- I still think it was the right call, and a bold one at that. I mean, it's not as if there's anyone within the organisation who would've been a better option. As much as I'd like to eventually see someone promoted from within, that just wasn't on the table at the time.

As much as the losing since January embarrasses me as a fan, it's the perception that the organisation is clueless and directionless, and firing John after a mere season will only add weight to that. Remember, this is the same guy who won a Cup with Safe Is Death. So, it's not as if he's capable of coaching only 1 way. He can adapt, given the personnel AND a healthy team.

More than anything, I guess I just dread the thought of a John Stevens-coached Canuck team, even with the possibility he'd bring Terry Murray with him.

Torts has addressed this.

Injuries forced him into playing differently and depth was an issue. He went into conservation mode and they played a little more passively as a result (so as to avoid further injury/line up depletion). He admits that he did not shift back into an aggressive style soon enough...that he stayed in a preventative mode for too long and it got away from him during that time. The California road trip was referred to, as was the Dallas game as a real eye opener.

I like him. I don't feel he's had enough of a chance TO work through issues as they were presented and it's been a learning thing as he assesses (fully) what he does have here.

I don't like the shot blocking...I think that's out of control and is detrimental to a healthy line up...just look at Tanev to see that. I don't mind the ice time, as some of these guys (Kes) do thrive on it and why not let them plaly? I'd like to see another year with Torts before making final determinations. I don't think he's had a fair shake yet but do feel he's open to hearing feedback and will adjust as necessary.

Don't be fooled by this ownership. They are in charge, they hire their mouthpiece yes men "managers" to stand in front of them and take the hits. They ran their slum lord realty investment operation exactly like this. I am not sure what Trev is in for but I hope he keeps his head up.

Torts has addressed this.

Injuries forced him into playing differently and depth was an issue. He went into conservation mode and they played a little more passively as a result (so as to avoid further injury/line up depletion). He admits that he did not shift back into an aggressive style soon enough...that he stayed in a preventative mode for too long and it got away from him during that time. The California road trip was referred to, as was the Dallas game as a real eye opener.

I like him. I don't feel he's had enough of a chance TO work through issues as they were presented and it's been a learning thing as he assesses (fully) what he does have here.

I don't like the shot blocking...I think that's out of control and is detrimental to a healthy line up...just look at Tanev to see that. I don't mind the ice time, as some of these guys (Kes) do thrive on it and why not let them plaly? I'd like to see another year with Torts before making final determinations. I don't think he's had a fair shake yet but do feel he's open to hearing feedback and will adjust as necessary.

I agree, Deb. Firing John just seems way too knee-jerk to me at this point. It'd maybe be a different story if there were a plethora of qualified just-as-impressive candidates (Peter Laviolette?), but, the reality is that there are not. I just don't think we're at that same stage with John after 1 season that we were at the end of AV's tenure where a change HAD to be made. This club has been failing for 4 months under John, not 4 years. Hopefully Trev and the new GM give him a chance to turn the page and right the ship.

I say give Torts 2 seasons.. You are not expecting a new coach to get the team to the playoffs. It take times for a coach to get familiar with the system. Look at AV when he first got here, for example..

A.V took them to the playoffs ,and first place in the Division in his first year . Mind you he was familiar with the system and some of the players since he was coaching the farm team in Manitoba the year before.

Archived