The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amanda Todd bullying leads to arrest in Netherlands

J529

There's a really sick joke to be had here ... but I'll move on.

PM me with it please, I think I know where you were going.

What I've never liked about this case is how the media painted her out to be an innocent victim. Fact is, she made many mistakes that led to her bullying. She also didn't stay off social media once the bullying started.

Instead of using this case as a teaching tool about the dangers of social media, everyone seemed to miss the boat.

Yep, it wasn't a black and white issue... and that's another sick joke opp. that I won't go with.

I think glorifying someone who didn't learn from her mistake the first time is just as silly as sliding under the rug those who can't garner the attention she did because they aren't good looking or cowardly enough to take their own lives. That's all I'm trying to point out.

No one's glorifying her... its funny that that's where your mind goes. But I suppose you need to rationalise your hating.

Wait, why should a dead person be afforded more respect than a living one?

Out of respect for anyone connected to her who might be on these forums. Of course, its not like if she she was alive the comments would be any less mean spirited and wrong.

Wait, why should a dead person be afforded more respect than a living one? I never got that sentiment.

Ecclesiastes 7:2
It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart.
In other words, just because someone did something you don't agree with, doesn't mean everything they did was like that.
If you can't respect the dead, at least respect who they left behind and not burden them with negative comments.

It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart.
In other words, just because someone did something you don't agree with, doesn't mean everything they did was like that.
If you can't respect the dead, at least respect who they left behind and not burden them with negative comments.

Please stop right there lol. Now the anti-relgion brigade will hound you and this thread.

i couldnt care less about amanda todd, just as i couldnt care about that bonerack dog you wept over in the other thread, or the dead koreans floating around in the ocean this week. it is all fundamentally irrelevant information. i recognize how these things are "sad" in that they are negative experiences, but it wouldnt make much sense to let them get me down

but what i don't get about your post is that you seem to be implying that we should either ignore amanda todd's case, or give equal air time to other suicide victims, or something? if its a reflection of this "pathetic world" that Todd got so much attention, but others don't, what do you propose? a channel devoted to a twenty-four hour news cycle on teen suicide? do you think the news should spend MORE time discussing these things, or less? how do you determine which case deserves the most air time?

You're messed up

What a joke.

I have no respect for people who have no respect for themselves. And of course all the social media sheep treat her like an angel since she's somewhat attractive though they know NOTHING about her. This man was rightfully arrested but the girl is getting attention that a lot of other sad cases don't. This is a pathetic world we live in.

Lol her fault for taking her clothes off IMO on a random chat room. What do teens expect from that ? To be loved and cared for through sexual and explicit pictures.

Do we have to keep hearing about her .. :picard:

I've stopped caring about Amanda Todd and her horde of supporters a long time ago. She got access to help multiple times over the course of her tumultuous times, parents are a joke who didn't think of monitoring her online activity given the amount of hate she apparently received... all while she willingly put on cam shows with her friends and took part in infidelity. Of course, the last video she made was littered with lies and all meant to seek validation through attention. Now that she's dead, she's some martyr.

The access of help available her is at the very least a luxury to some at risk groups here in the mainland

To me, she's an attention seeking LG suffering from parental neglect. It's good that they got someone responsible for harassing her but let's not paint her as an angel in the process.

Move on, there's many more that suffer silently without needing to resort to social network pity. Help them out instead.

I also hate to point this out: but suicide is just what it sounds like - someone taking their own lives. Do logic a favor and try not to make it seem like the bullies were murderers (I certainly get the vibe here).

i couldnt care less about amanda todd, just as i couldnt care about that bonerack dog you wept over in the other thread, or the dead koreans floating around in the ocean this week. it is all fundamentally irrelevant information. i recognize how these things are "sad" in that they are negative experiences, but it wouldnt make much sense to let them get me down

but what i don't get about your post is that you seem to be implying that we should either ignore amanda todd's case, or give equal air time to other suicide victims, or something? if its a reflection of this "pathetic world" that Todd got so much attention, but others don't, what do you propose? a channel devoted to a twenty-four hour news cycle on teen suicide? do you think the news should spend MORE time discussing these things, or less? how do you determine which case deserves the most air time?

I hate bullying, but I hate suicide just as much. Both are just so incredibly selfish. Both hurt others in such an awful way, and shouldn't ever happen.

I'm not going to my thoughts on bullying as they are the same as most other people's, but I feel suicide is just stupid, no matter how much pain you're in, there's no reason to end your life as it hurts everyone who cares about you more than you're hurting when they put you in the ground.

Wait, why should a dead person be afforded more respect than a living one? I never got that sentiment.

I feel like I just got trolled in so many unique ways.

But that doesn't just apply to the dead. The living have also done both good bad things. Why not have a nuanced view of both living and dead and acknowledge both good and bad instead of shutting down discussion of one of them?

I understand the whole bullying aspect having being bullied myself when I was young, but it was for different reasons (colour of my skin,etc..). I just don't like it when people jump on the bandwagon of support because of social trends.

It's like the Kony 2012 thing. People that don't know anything about Kony or the issues of Africa suddenly jumped on the bandwagon after watching one video on Facebook/YouTube, and basically became activists over night... I remember getting so much flack from my friends for saying it was a stupid trend that would die down soon. My point is many people become sheep without really thinking of what they are supporting. These are the same people who often support anti-bullying or anti-violence and the next day bully or case harm to others. My approach to these kinds of issues is to be well informed even before they become popular on social media... That way you can prevent yourselves from becoming sheeps. I knew beforehand that Kony wouldn't be stopped because of one video just like bullying can't be stopped from commercials on tv.

It takes more than watching a video to cause change...

it's nothing like "the kony thing"

"the kony thing" was doomed from the start because it was an impossible cause committed to intangible results based on misinformation

"the amanda todd" thing isn't, because bullying is a very real thing that happens in every school around north america, is not based on misinformation, and the results are very tangible

I hate bullying, but I hate suicide just as much. Both are just so incredibly selfish. Both hurt others in such an awful way, and shouldn't ever happen.

I'm not going to my thoughts on bullying as they are the same as most other people's, but I feel suicide is just stupid, no matter how much pain you're in, there's no reason to end your life as it hurts everyone who cares about you more than you're hurting when they put you in the ground.

If someone is on brink of death because they have life threatening illness would you feel it would still be very selfish for someone to take their own life? You have to consider the amount of pain and suffering they've endured and how long it's been going on and that they've had enough. While it would most certainly hurt loved ones, it's very unfair and shows total lack of compassion to any person dieing by referring to the as "selfish" and "taking the easy way out" What i'm saying here isn't in relation to Amanda Todd. I'm speaking more to the story that's been on news about assisted suicide for anyone who is on verge of death because of terminal illness.

I think glorifying someone who didn't learn from her mistake the first time is just as silly as sliding under the rug those who can't garner the attention she did because they aren't good looking or cowardly enough to take their own lives. That's all I'm trying to point out. I don't think there's any question that the main reason this girl's story blew up is because of her looks and ability to write a one sided opinionated story on cue cards.

well that was a boring response

it's nothing like "the kony thing"

"the kony thing" was doomed from the start because it was an impossible cause committed to intangible results based on misinformation

"the amanda todd" thing isn't, because bullying is a very real thing that happens in every school around north america, is not based on misinformation, and the results are very tangible

I know bullying and Kony are separate what I meant was that both issues became more apparent because of social media.

If someone is on brink of death because they have life threatening illness would you feel it would still be very selfish for someone to take their own life? You have to consider the amount of pain and suffering they've endured and how long it's been going on and that they've had enough. While it would most certainly hurt loved ones, it's very unfair and shows total lack of compassion to any person dieing by referring to the as "selfish" and "taking the easy way out" What i'm saying here isn't in relation to Amanda Todd. I'm speaking more to the story that's been on news about assisted suicide for anyone who is on verge of death because of terminal illness.

saying "suicide is selfish" is a meaningless buzz-claim

it has no philosophical depth. and from a medical standpoint, it probably doesn't have much either, given the whole "mental health" aspect that drives people to suicide. can you call a manic-depressive suicide case "selfish"? or a schizophrenic? i sure wouldn't

I know bullying and Kony are separate what I meant was that both issues became more apparent because of social media.

nothing wrong with that, just as there isn't anything wrong with championing a cause that you learned about through twitter, facebook, etc.

criticizing Kony because it was viral is meaningless

Well, yes and no. There's a line. I think ripping on a teenage girl for sending naked pictures crosses it. Especially when someone used those pictures to cause her great emotional distress.

I'm talking in very general terms here. I think if it's okay to rip her for it while alive it should be okay to do the same while dead. Similarly if it's inappropriate while alive, nothing should change when she's dead.

I've stopped caring about Amanda Todd and her horde of supporters a long time ago. She got access to help multiple times over the course of her tumultuous times, parents are a joke who didn't think of monitoring her online activity given the amount of hate she apparently received... all while she willingly put on cam shows with her friends and took part in infidelity. Of course, the last video she made was littered with lies and all meant to seek validation through attention. Now that she's dead, she's some martyr.

The access of help available her is at the very least a luxury to some at risk groups here in the mainland

To me, she's an attention seeking LG suffering from parental neglect. It's good that they got someone responsible for harassing her but let's not paint her as an angel in the process.

Move on, there's many more that suffer silently without needing to resort to social network pity. Help them out instead.

I also hate to point this out: but suicide is just what it sounds like - someone taking their own lives. Do logic a favor and try not to make it seem like the bullies were murderers (I certainly get the vibe here).

You cared enough to post in a thread about it.

Archived