The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amanda Todd bullying leads to arrest in Netherlands

J529

The delivery of your opinion in a subject like this really showcases if you mean what you say. If this whole Amanda Todd event should raise awareness to bullying, the least you can do to support that fact is to not resort to as low as using name calling tactics because you have no other way of stating your point.

An aside -

This actually raises a point about the term "bullying" that I heard recently and thought was pretty good. Specifically that we over-use it. One or two-off incidents of being rude, name-calling, teasing and all-around jerkdom are not (or should not) be considered "bullying." Bullying is targeted and sustained. Just as physical assaults and threats should be classified with the laws they are breaking - they aren't bullying either.

I don't understand why people can't understand that she could have made better choices (apparently none of you have ever made a bad choice, even as a teen, but I digress), yet understand that what happened to her was extremely unwarranted.

Yes she could have made some different choices, but it's still a tragic story nonetheless and she doesn't deserve to have her name slung in the mud for it either.

Again, I disagree - the nature of this situation and your comments illicit an emotional and therefore irrational response. All the same, I find such reactions more honest and heartening than a callous approach. Someone telling you to shut up and have some decency is akin to someone telling Amanda Todd to keep her damn shirt on - something she may well have benefitted from. Now, if one were to track you down, threaten, extort and hound you for weeks on end about this situation - that would be a similar experience - and one I certainly would not condone.

Tell me some of my comments that are illicit? I didn't use any personal attacks towards Amanda nor did I personally attack any of the users I was debating with. I was merely conveying my own opinion on the subject matter something I have to right to do so. I never said she deserved the outcome. My point is exactly the same as what Jägermeister just pointed out.

An aside -

This actually raises a point about the term "bullying" that I heard recently and thought was pretty good. Specifically that we over-use it. One or two-off incidents of being rude, name-calling, teasing and all-around jerkdom are not (or should not) be considered "bullying." Bullying is targeted and sustained. Just as physical assaults and threats should be classified with the laws they are breaking - they aren't bullying either.

and this doesnt make sense at all. This is how bullying starts off as. Theres no clear cut way of classifying it.

Re-hashing my position on here helps me out sometimes at work :lol:

But you are correct - we've had this chat before! I'll leave it for the night.

I always enjoy your posts. They're enlightening and thoughtful. As for Amanda, I can see merit in both sets of opinions expressed here, but at the same time there is a certain callousness that seems to be creeping into society when it comes to the inabilty to put ourselves into others shoes. ( Empathy is dead)

As has been discussed here, yes her parents failed her and yes she had ways out of this rather than resorting to what she did, but the fact remains that "another human being" and I use that term loosely, was a contributing factor in pushing this girl to her edge.

Someone who is emotionally underdeveloped and perhaps lacking in basic street smarts does not deserve to have what happened to Amanda happen to them because they made a mistake.

I can see why Luci doesn't give 2 craps about Amanda Todd if what I said to her is equatable to the cyber bullying Amanda Todd went through. I mean who would commit suicide after being called filth once on a website? Amiright guise?

I'm sorry, but the fact anyone can be so crass about a 15 year old's death and divert attention away from awareness of the issue her case presents is absolutely disgusting. Like usual, edgy college kids going to be edgy.

If you don't like Amanda Todd's case, why not refrain from giving us your opinion? It's a free country, but what are you accomplishing with your posts? At least Amanda Todd supporters (ugh, I hate how that even has to be a term) are raising awareness about cyber bullying. What the hell are you doing? Letting parents know they should be more concerned about their child's browsing habits? Awareness of the Amanda Todd case does just that without having to criticize the girl and her supporters.

If you don't like being called filth--how about this? Your opinions on this subject matter are absolutely useless in the grand scheme of things.

If someone is on brink of death because they have life threatening illness would you feel it would still be very selfish for someone to take their own life? You have to consider the amount of pain and suffering they've endured and how long it's been going on and that they've had enough. While it would most certainly hurt loved ones, it's very unfair and shows total lack of compassion to any person dieing by referring to the as "selfish" and "taking the easy way out" What i'm saying here isn't in relation to Amanda Todd. I'm speaking more to the story that's been on news about assisted suicide for anyone who is on verge of death because of terminal illness.

Personally I don't get it. When I was young I was told my life expectancy was mid teens, and my life wasn't going to be easy. I'm in my 20's now and it's still not easy, I can't walk, I can't lift my arms, I can't even feed my self. I'm in constant pain all day from my legs, my hips, and my back. Also my lung capacity is below 20%. While I can see why people could want to end their life I don't understand it.

saying "suicide is selfish" is a meaningless buzz-claim

it has no philosophical depth. and from a medical standpoint, it probably doesn't have much either, given the whole "mental health" aspect that drives people to suicide. can you call a manic-depressive suicide case "selfish"? or a schizophrenic? i sure wouldn't

nothing wrong with that, just as there isn't anything wrong with championing a cause that you learned about through twitter, facebook, etc.

criticizing Kony because it was viral is meaningless

Well you've changed my mind. There are times where I can understand that it is not selfish at all, but I still feel that in some instances suicide is selfish, but in a small minority.

Two thoughts (well there's more than two, but no time):

One, what I find odd is that people think that it is actually worthwhile to take the time to let others know that they don't see Amanda Todd as a victim. Of course, these same people will counter by arguing that they have a right to speak their mind. Certainly they do. However, what these people feel they will accomplish by sharing this opinion is something I do not understand. Do these people really think that of all the things they could be doing with their time, a good use of that time would be to talk about how a girl who is now dead brought on the bullying herself. There is a thread in Canucks Talk for people who argue for reasons why Tortorella should stay for another year. I don't agree that he should stay. Instead of voicing my opinion in that thread, I've simply never opened it.

Two, the "I'm tired of hearing about Amanda Todd" comments provide some pretty dim insight into the resiliency of some people. If simply hearing a news story a couple dozen times is enough to make you upset, you're going to have a rather unsuccessful life. I'm particularly surprised that a lot of these comments come from goal-oriented university students. If you guys cannot handle hearing things you don't like, don't aim for a job that is going to challenge you. You are not going to have success.

Anyway, I think that you are pretty short-sighted for opening up a thread about Amanda Todd solely for the purpose of telling people about why you don't care about her.

Lol ahah I've made it! Jagermeister hates my posts and finally has the rocks to admit it. Truly made it on this forum AHHA as for Amanda my point stands, if all else failed she could have looked up thousands of other suicides/stories related to hers on the internet but chose to GIVE UP and take her damn clothes off to a complete stranger from another country.

You are a lousy troll. But you make a great assh*le.

That's cute Newsflash. Nowhere did I assign my opinion to be of the utmost importance as a world changing idea, it's you who is deluding yourself into giving your posts some moral high ground. As far as I am concerned, this is a discussion forum and if I have an opinion that I can

a. state legibly while staying on topic

b. support without needing to take immature shots at others because I have nothing else going for it

then I will say it. It is you who is getting your panties in a knot and dragging some unrelated unwarranted comments into your argument, sinking it further in the ground. Of course, you're doing that all while claiming that you're raising awareness. So you tell me, who's being the overreacting delusional moron on a hockey forum?

And if you took the time to read my initial comment, I said precisely that the event should cause us to reflect on those in our lives that could use help.

For your own sake, maybe you should browse Reddit some more and learn how to maturely state your opinions. Or you can try taking the things you learn in your college classes to heart about debating. Either or, both will be helpful. Then you can get back to me. :)

It's a sad day when people think you are putting yourself on a moral high ground, because you think statements like this are inappropriate to make about a dead 15 year old girl that was sexually extorted:

"Of course, the last video she made was littered with lies and all meant to seek validation through attention."

"To me, she's an attention seeking LG suffering from parental neglect. It's good that they got someone responsible for harassing her but let's not paint her as an angel in the process."

"Move on, there's many more that suffer silently without needing to resort to social network pity."

Your opinion is useless because you accomplish no societal good by taking the contrarian position here. What's the point in telling people to move on from a case that practically made the issue of cyber bullying blow up over night? Are we harming anyone? NO.

Two thoughts (well there's more than two, but no time):

One, what I find odd is that people think that it is actually worthwhile to take the time to let others know that they don't see Amanda Todd as a victim. Of course, these same people will counter by arguing that they have a right to speak their mind. Certainly they do. However, what these people feel they will accomplish by sharing this opinion is something I do not understand. Do these people really think that of all the things they could be doing with their time, a good use of that time would be to talk about how a girl who is now dead brought on the bullying herself. There is a thread in Canucks Talk for people who argue for reasons why Tortorella should stay for another year. I don't agree that he should stay. Instead of voicing my opinion in that thread, I've simply never opened it.

Two, the "I'm tired of hearing about Amanda Todd" comments provide some pretty dim insight into the resiliency of some people. If simply hearing a news story a couple dozen times is enough to make you upset, you're going to have a rather unsuccessful life. I'm particularly surprised that a lot of these comments come from goal-oriented university students. If you guys cannot handle hearing things you don't like, don't aim for a job that is going to challenge you. You are not going to have success.

Anyway, I think that you are pretty short-sighted for opening up a thread about Amanda Todd solely for the purpose of telling people about why you don't care about her.

I agree with most of what you said, but if you read previous posts you can see that most people do in fact care about the issue. Its a tragedy anytime someone kills themselves especially at a young and vulnerable age. If you know someone who has been bullied in the past or committed suicide you would know the feeling.

Having said that if someone has a opinion or view that is against your beliefs that doesn't give you the right to crucify them because that makes you no better than person you disagree with. Especially at the levels of hypocrisy we have seen. I understand theres a fine line, but many of the comments people have become upset about imo haven't crossed that line aside from a select few, but we expect that from them because they like to troll and stir the pot while they have popcorn on the side so to speak

Like I said in my previous post I have nothing to gain or lose from debating in this topic, but that doesn't mean Im going to set back while people sling mud in my face by twisting my words or misrepresenting my ideas to something completely irrelevant to the subject matter.

Also becoming upset with the people that display different opinions or views from you will make you have a tough time being successful in this world especially since they exist everywhere in this world and not just on CDC. The best thing is to ignore them and tune them out. Not by misrepresenting their words for political gain.

I guess you can say I am a edgy college student proudly so :)

Archived