The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who would you trade to keep the Roster Fresh?

To try to keep the Canucks from becoming a Calgary who would you trade?  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's sheer common sense.

Kesler gets traded because he nets the most return. No garbage about being in his prime, the guy is one blocked shot away from another 3 month rehab or at worst another surgery. He nets the most return in a trade, you make that trade.

Edler could go now but I think as others do that his value is artificially low. I think he is the defensive mirror of the twins. Sheltered starts and minutes gives him the best possible chance as a D Man and he needs that solid partner like Salo, Ohlund or Ehrhoff to kickstart him. Trade him now sure but if he has a bounce back season he's awesome bait for a bubble team mid season

Burrows could net a marginal return 2nd 3rd maybe? But really otherwise has more value to the team.

You trade your value guys that's it. Kesler and Edler net us $10 million in cap space break up the logjam and get us that return of picks prospects this team needs moving forward.

Nobody under the age of 26, picks or prospects leave the organization. That is not how you retool or rebuild.

Only trade Kes is if he wants to be traded; if the return is very good. If he's traded, they have to find another 2nd C (pls not Santo).

Booth needs to go...his $ is required.

Can't believe people want to see HIggins traded. For the cap hit, he's the best player on the team. He's the true definition of a depth player.

Contrary to most on here I wouldn't move Edler. His value is currently low and IMO we should be supporting his skill set with a PMD to get him back to his optimal role as the secondary/trailing D in an offensive pairing. Quit trying to misuse him in a shutdown role and pairing him with guys he doesn't work well with.

Kesler is the only guy in the core I even consider moving and only if he wants out and we get value in trade.

IMO, the odd men out are Booth, Hansen and possibly Tanev. Hansen & Tanev would be a good package starting point to getting a top 6 forward. Santorelli basically takes over for Hansen (and can play C).

Schroeder I unfortunately don't see a spot on this team for. He could be a sweetener in a deal this summer but my guess is that we retain him for next year in the hopes he can show something and gain some value to be a move-able asset towards the deadline. He needs to get his arse in gear if he hopes to have an NHL career...other prospects are catching up fast and will pass him, likely next year if he doesn't. He's fast becoming a career AHL'er/European league guy.

@cocolocci: Niskanen's gonna cost a lot more than $4.5 million (if he tests free agency). I'd certainly be willing to make what some people would consider an overpayment for him. I hold Nisky in very high regard and I believe he could be the perfect acquisition, even if there's a bidding war and the cost is sky high (and signing him eats up basically all of our remaining cap room, after re-signing our key FAs and using the final compliance buyout).

OP: As much as I love Burr, he's probably the only one of those 30 years plus players that I'd consider moving regardless of the return. With the others, the assets coming back would need to be outstanding (and the reported offers certainly haven't been). Right now, it seems like most of the core vets, like Kes or Juice, have more value to this team than they do on the trade market. And the players with the best potential trade value are the ones with the best contract value (like Kesler). WIth Burrows, I can easily see replacement options available for a lower cap hit. Not so much the case with the others. Also, Burrows' reputation around the league (and especially with the officials) is something that fuels the poor opinion many people have of this team. Getting rid of him could help to rehabilitate the Canucks' reputation and possibly lead to this team getting better treatment from the league. I don't believe the officials will ever forgive Burrows for the Auger scandal and consequently, the Canucks might never truly get a fair shake from them until after Burr leaves.

That all said, I'm more than fine with keeping Burrows, "warts and all," and at $4.5 million. Ultimately, his career contributions to this team have earned him every dollar he makes from here on out. He's a big part of this team's leadership group and overall identity and he's the definition of a "heart and soul player" for the Vancouver Canucks. But that's also an argument for why moving him could really help shake things up. It's probably a moot point though since it would likely prove extremely difficult to find any takers for Burrows (after this season's struggles and because of his contract).

And unless the Canucks are looking to reload in free agency and spend to the cap, having Burrows around at $4.5 million isn't really creating any problems. He's a great team guy and a very useful player. He also has a strong work ethic and an inspiring story that could make him an excellent mentor for young guys coming into a rebuilding team.

I suppose it all depends on how much the core really needs a shakeup (versus supplementing the overall depth and making some very targeted key additions--like a puck-rushing PMD with strong puck skills, top-level mobility, and the offensive talents required to effectively PPQB). It also depends on how much management want to change the overall team identity (which might require deep cuts to this core).

As for the younger players and picks/prospects, there's no one I'm itching to move. I'd be open to anything that yields a return that offers a clear cut improvement to this team (present and/or future).

EDIT: typos and minor additions

I'd honestly say the Twins, if their leaving brings back emerging take-charge guys with skill who let their play do the leading (guys in the Brendan Gallagher/ Brayden Schenn mold). I'd also say Hansen (good worker but yet another 'tweener who may fit in another team's top 6 and thus have value for his new team) and Tanev (our best trading chip-- young, affordable; trade for a young forward), as well as Burrows (if the Twins are gone he may as well go too if he won't be as effective without them). I'd move Garrison for a puck-mover to play with Edler, and I'd also move Rich if Horvat and Lain are ready for full-time duty. I'd also include Schroeder in any trade since I'd say Dalpe can be the 13th forward.

It'll be tough to move forward without them, but that's not to say that the remaining guys won't form a decent core, plus I'm looking at this from the perspective of "short term pain for long-term gain", since one bad season may result in the formation of a new young core. It'd be a tough move but to stockpile young players early on and avoid becoming Calgary I'd say it's worth it.

(Empty spots to be filled by acquired players)

_____ - Kes - Kass (I'd say it's time to give Kass an expanded role offensively)

Higgins - ____ - Jensen
Booth - Horvat - Santorelli (play-driving 3rd line with Booth and Horvat, plus Santo can create offensively)
Archibald - Lain - Matthias (big 4th line with some skill)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Corrado?

Stanton - ______

Lack

Interesting that Eddie lack is the only player with 0 votes so far.

Question. Would Kesler trade value be reduced that much if we keep him another year? He would still have another year left on his contract and it would give Bo another year to get ready us help us not to such too badly.

It is interesting lack is the only no vote.

I

Personally I don't think there is any rush to trade anybody. Unless a player wants out or an offer for a player was too good to pass up.

I would however look to open up spots for younger players.

Booth would be the 1st player I would look to trade. Because he will be a UFA. And takes up a winger spot which younger players could compete for.

Richardson would be 2nd. Again UFA. Although he'd be good insurance. With a new coach/defensive system.. it's good time to change the guards and let a younger player start the season.

RFA's - Weber, Schroeder, Dalpe, Sauve are players that I would like to see try-out but have a feeling may try their luck in other leagues. IOW I would try to get something for them.

Archived