The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finding a gym buddy

Stefan

Hey, so I've been looking around online for somewhere to look for a gym partner (craigslist, kijiji, bodybuilding.com), can't seem to find a dedicated section to finding a gym partner.

I've seen some workout threads on here, and, well, it's safe to say there's a market for gym goers anywhere... So, no harm in posting here :D

Anyone looking for a gym partner in the north Burnaby area, or know of a website that has a dedicated section for doing so?

My friends are either on different schedules, are at different gyms, or gave up on gym/don't workout. I've tried :(

Hey, so I've been looking around online for somewhere to look for a gym partner (craigslist, kijiji, bodybuilding.com), can't seem to find a dedicated section to finding a gym partner.

I've seen some workout threads on here, and, well, it's safe to say there's a market for gym goers anywhere... So, no harm in posting here :D

Anyone looking for a gym partner in the north Burnaby area, or know of a website that has a dedicated section for doing so?

My friends are either on different schedules, are at different gyms, or gave up on gym/don't workout. I've tried :(

Why don't you switch to one of your friends gyms?

That seems like a lot of work just to find someone to work out with... Can't work out alone?

I've worked out with other people before, but I always end up preferring solo. Less chit chat and waiting around. Unless you're pro body builder, surrounded by other pro's, and require a spot during most sets... what's the point? It seems like a lot of people (not saying you) just lack the motivation to exercise and think going with a friend will make it easier. If you can't motivate yourself you won't last long.

Which North Burnaby area? I go to a gym in North Burnaby, although I prefer to be alone myself. There are plenty of friendly people at my gym but I try not to talk too much because I accomplish way more on my own.

Too many times there I've veered off into conversations and it takes a lot longer to do what I go there to do.

Usually my time is pretty limited there so I try to get in and out as quick as I can.

I am in the same situation as you buddy, a lot of my friends don't like going gym.

The ones that do, go at a different time because our work schedules are very different.

I usually go solo. Well a couple guys I work with go as well. When they are there, I get

them to spot me.

I went alone for about a year and a half, but eventually I just stopped going. I started up again with a friend and have noticed bigger gains. This is probably due to going 4 times a week instead of 2, but it was working with him that motivated me to go as often as I did.

While gym buddies are great for motivation, it's also key to be able to go by yourself sometimes. If not, then when you're buddy is busy one time or if he decides to bail on you, then you'll just stop too. Odds are unlikely that you'll find a buddy that will be super long-term.

I used to go with a buddy during Uni. Helps to motivate you. If you dont feel like it one day, your tired or whatever, you go because hes expecting you to be there. Every time I didnt feel like going and did I was always glad afterwards. We lifted heavy so a spotter wasnt a sometimes thing. But everyone goes their own way eventually and Ive had friends join on and off over the years. They come and go as family and kids have gotten in the way and workout times have had to change to fit.

Well, I've been going off and on for about 5 years. Would like someone to consistently go with to push me and vice versa. Already signed up for a year at snap fitness up near Kensington square.

I don't mind solo. But I can't ask people to spot me over and over and I need a spot if I want to push further.

Main focus is to workout, not to have long conversations as other people mentioned as a downside.

I honestly prefer going alone. I worked out with 2 buddies for a year and its a hassle trying to work it in everyone's different schedule.

You also end up talking a lot more and taking longer breaks.

By myself I am focused and not wasting time.

Totally appreciate the advice, and I've made some amazing progress by myself. Not every person is the exact same, and I think I can push ahead with a gym partner. So the tips on going alone are appreciated, but after 5 years of solo I think I'd like a training partner.

Two sides to this coin.

Having a gym buddy can help push you to go for those 6 days a week, that whole 'can't let them down' mentality. Me and one of my newer friends hit the gym hard for 4 months this year after making a sacred pact and made some serious strength gains (in different cities now, just found a gym to go to yesterday). However, you gotta make sure you don't get dependent on needing a friend to go with; he never went without me though I would still go on days he might've skipped to study for example.

On the flip side, I find sometimes I work out better without a buddy because I can focus more and spend less time talking. Sometimes it's harder to push yourself on a rough day when you don't have competition though.

If you don't have any friends who gym, make some at the gym! I find the friendliest people are usually those at the gym, maybe because everybody's feeling good about themselves.

It can be tricky to get a legit gym partner. Even if you find someone who is willing to go with you regularly it usually only runs smoothly if both of you are around the same strength levels and running the same or very similar routine.

When I used to play sports at school we were designated workout partners based on our similars in strength and endurance testing and this was by far the best gym partner I ever had. Things moved fast we did the same things and didn't need to switch weights. He would lift then during his 30 second rest period I would lift and he would spot me etc. It rotated quickly and also had some competition since we were comparable in attributes outshining the other guys numbers was a reasonable challenge.

My most recent gym partner is my best friend and despite him going regularly I hated going with him because we were so different in our strengths and weaknesses. No competition each area was always easily won by one of us. He is also a track runner and long jumper so his workout preference are heavily tilted to benefit that. I preferred going alone and just doing my own thing than going with him.

Personally I don't mind talking though as long as you can multitask I feel sometimes getting into a conversation makes you think less about the reps or remaining distance and it seems to go by easier. But that may just be me.

Well, I've been going off and on for about 5 years. Would like someone to consistently go with to push me and vice versa. Already signed up for a year at snap fitness up near Kensington square.

I don't mind solo. But I can't ask people to spot me over and over and I need a spot if I want to push further.

Main focus is to workout, not to have long conversations as other people mentioned as a downside.

Same gym as me. My times are pretty random though depending on my work schedule.

Usually there around 4-5PM. Sometimes I'm there around 7-8PM though. On the weekend I'm usually there earlier around 1-3PM.

I always have my headphones in and don't talk really though unless I see a few buddies.

Archived