The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

It's really too bad that XCOM 2 has forgone the need for an expansion. Enemy Within was a great thing to add on the first game in this rebooted series.

All they've done in XCOM 2 was opt for some split DLC that offered little to add to the experience, especially compared to the wholescale upgrade that an expansion would've made. 

I remember when they tried doing that $&!# for XCOM Enemy Unkown, and people just fought back immediately, and hard, against them to let them know they shouldn't try that crap again. So they scrapped their plans for their line of $&!#ty one off DLCs in favour of a full expansion.

This time, no such thing happened, and no such expansion is planned. It's been only like 3-4 years, but gamers have gotten way too complacent with these practices.

Maybe some point down the road they can actually do another expansion. I'm just looking for another reason to boot this game up, because despite not being as good as the first entry, I had some fun with it. Probably just going to uninstall it instead at this point.

I did find it easier to get attached to my crew in this game, so it's part of the reason why I want to go on another adventure with them. A lot had to do with the relatively increased customization. With the character generator offering beauts like this name, how could I not.

TCxm8tE.jpg

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

i have 16gb ram

intel core i7-2600 3.40 ghz

nvidia geforce gtx 560 TI

can someone tell me how sh-tty this is in the current gaming climate, and what i should be looking to upgrade to at a reasonable price to play current games in max settings?

i can run almost everything i want at medium settings, but i've noticed some sluggishness lately, and way too laggy when i try to run on high settings.

i know my video card is subpar, but will upgrading it require a new processor to handle it?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can tell, your CPU was pretty OP in it's time. Right now, it's probably mid range, and would still be pretty effective for gaming. I think it's fair to assume that your ram is DDR3, in which case, 16gb should be fine. It looks to me like your GPU is the weak link.

Keep in mind that if you replace your CPU, you'll probably need to get a new Mobo as the sockets have changed. Most new Mobo's are DDR4, so you would likely have to get new ram as well.

I'm an enthusiast and by no means an expert though, so I would get a second opinion.

On 11/24/2016 at 6:18 PM, GLASSJAW said:

i have 16gb ram

intel core i7-2600 3.40 ghz

nvidia geforce gtx 560 TI

can someone tell me how sh-tty this is in the current gaming climate, and what i should be looking to upgrade to at a reasonable price to play current games in max settings?

i can run almost everything i want at medium settings, but i've noticed some sluggishness lately, and way too laggy when i try to run on high settings.

i know my video card is subpar, but will upgrading it require a new processor to handle it?

No.  Your biggest bottleneck is your 5 year old video card especially if it only has 1GB of memory.

On 11/25/2016 at 8:46 PM, SabreFan1 said:

No.  Your biggest bottleneck is your 5 year old video card especially if it only has 1GB of memory.

On 11/25/2016 at 9:00 AM, Bigturk8 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can tell, your CPU was pretty OP in it's time. Right now, it's probably mid range, and would still be pretty effective for gaming. I think it's fair to assume that your ram is DDR3, in which case, 16gb should be fine. It looks to me like your GPU is the weak link.

Keep in mind that if you replace your CPU, you'll probably need to get a new Mobo as the sockets have changed. Most new Mobo's are DDR4, so you would likely have to get new ram as well.

I'm an enthusiast and by no means an expert though, so I would get a second opinion.

@GLASSJAW Most big games draw a lot from your graphics card, so it's best to go hard on a good card.  If you are on a budget (I feel like you are) I advise getting an RX 470 and overclocking it.  If you are feeling ambitious indulge yourself and get a GTX 1070.  Make sure your power supply is at least... 550+ wattage.

Your processor... is a Sandy Bridge i7.  That was the golden era for Intel.  It's not unlocked but you should be perfectly fine with that.  Consider that one money very well spent.

Somebody sauce me some suggestions.

I've just finishd Dragon Age Inquisition (Great RPG game), and I'm in the mood for some similar singleplayer games (OW has taken over the multiplayer side for me). To give you a better idea of what suits me, I've played the Witcher series, Fallout series, TES series, and Mass Effect series. I'm really looking for something to sink a lot of time into, so lemme know

11 minutes ago, Mimerez said:

I've just finishd Dragon Age Inquisition (Great RPG game), and I'm in the mood for some similar singleplayer games (OW has taken over the multiplayer side for me). To give you a better idea of what suits me, I've played the Witcher series, Fallout series, TES series, and Mass Effect series. I'm really looking for something to sink a lot of time into, so lemme know

Stars Wars KOTOR. Made by Bioware also. Main campaign isn't as long as some of the other games you mentioned but still a great experience and must play for people that like story-driven games. It has a Light/Dark side element too so a 2nd play through could be different if you decided to take different moral actions.

Better than prequel movies.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mimerez said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/ - Tyranny

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239140/ - Dying Light

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373420/ - Divinity Original Sin

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435150/ - Divinity Original Sin 2

http://store.steampowered.com/app/213670/ - South Park: The Stick of Truth

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/ - Pillars Of Eternity

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/51209/ - Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/329430/ - State Of Decay

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400170/ - The Incredible Adventures Of Van Hellsing

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/379/ - Baldur's Gate: The Complete Saga

• Upvote 1

On 2016-11-25 at 1:41 AM, g_bassi13 said:

It's really too bad that XCOM 2 has forgone the need for an expansion. Enemy Within was a great thing to add on the first game in this rebooted series.

All they've done in XCOM 2 was opt for some split DLC that offered little to add to the experience, especially compared to the wholescale upgrade that an expansion would've made. 

I remember when they tried doing that $&!# for XCOM Enemy Unkown, and people just fought back immediately, and hard, against them to let them know they shouldn't try that crap again. So they scrapped their plans for their line of $&!#ty one off DLCs in favour of a full expansion.

This time, no such thing happened, and no such expansion is planned. It's been only like 3-4 years, but gamers have gotten way too complacent with these practices.

Maybe some point down the road they can actually do another expansion. I'm just looking for another reason to boot this game up, because despite not being as good as the first entry, I had some fun with it. Probably just going to uninstall it instead at this point.

I did find it easier to get attached to my crew in this game, so it's part of the reason why I want to go on another adventure with them. A lot had to do with the relatively increased customization. With the character generator offering beauts like this name, how could I not.

TCxm8tE.jpg

I need to start playing this again. I was like 20 hours into the game, but it got stupidly difficult for me. Restarting missions over and over again, having my whole squad wiped out starting from scratch. Got to a point where every time somebody died I would just reload that turn. One turn 3 enemies would throw grenades and &^@# up my whole team, but then I reload it and all the enemies miss, so I beat it easily.

I should just restart the game.

On 29/11/2016 at 7:00 PM, DollarAndADream said:

I need to start playing this again. I was like 20 hours into the game, but it got stupidly difficult for me. Restarting missions over and over again, having my whole squad wiped out starting from scratch. Got to a point where every time somebody died I would just reload that turn. One turn 3 enemies would throw grenades and &^@# up my whole team, but then I reload it and all the enemies miss, so I beat it easily.

I should just restart the game.

Perhaps try it on a different difficulty setting. I don't know which you were playing under, but the game gets relentless at the harder levels.

On 2016-12-01 at 2:47 AM, g_bassi13 said:

Perhaps try it on a different difficulty setting. I don't know which you were playing under, but the game gets relentless at the harder levels.

I think I was just on whatever the normal setting was. Although I'd never played XCOM before, and was just winging it, and not knowing wtf I was doing.

I should probably just restart it now that I have some kind of info on what I'm supposed to do.

On 29/11/2016 at 11:16 AM, Tanev's Smirk said:

I should attempt to buy Black Desert again. 

Hmm... wanna bet on it triggering a fraud warning again?

On 30/11/2016 at 8:54 PM, Tanev's Smirk said:

It actually worked. Holy crap.

I've spent days trying to make a decent face. Yet to launch in to the game. <_<

I just finished a game called "Tropico 5".  It's a city building game on islands in the Caribbean with island music and a sense of humour.  It has a very good story line and I'm sure it's challenging if you don't cheat like crazy, which I did.

Highly recommended.

On 12/10/2016 at 9:31 PM, Templeton Peck said:

I've just started playing it recently (got it on a price error deal). Do you find the initial load times to be bad? Seem quite a bit worse than Civ V to me.

Probably down to your PC. Tends to be slower on my machine but expected with a newer game.