The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best time to buy a Laptop?

Rockeh

I'm looking to buy a laptop (desktop replacement) for everyday tasks such as emailing/youtubing/internet browsing and some low-end video editing and a few low-mid end games (ie: sims 3/4 .. simcity.. a few FPS/etc).

My question is, when is the best time to buy a laptop in the year?

I'm looking at a (Asus) laptop with these specs below;

Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor

Windows 8 64 Bit

16GB DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM

17.3" HD+ EWV (1600 x 900) Non-Glare LCD Panel

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

2.5" 9.5mm SATA
2 x 500GB HDD 7200 RPM
Dual HDD Support

Bilingual KB

For $899.95 (advertised of $500 off). Opinions on this? :-)

The best time to buy a laptop is during boxing week. However, there may be limited choice and you'd have to act fast in order to get one of the best deals.

For the price you are paying, this laptop is definitely solid. The only thing that would be nice if it had SDD or SSHD memory instead of the 500GB of HDD, which would make the boot-up and read/write speed slightly faster. Nonetheless, with an i7 intel processor and more than enough ram, this laptop should be fast enough to do all your listed tasks efficiently.

Solid specs at a solid price but it sucks that it can't handle 1080 resolution. That'd be something of a deal breaker for me.

edit: That's more if you're playing games and watching movies. But I guees if you're not doing that, you don't even need a computer that powerful.

Sorry, I failed to mention that I do watch netflix & movies on the laptop!

The best time of year to buy a laptop is when you need one. Seriously theres always sales going on. Gonna wait 4 months to save $50? Really?

I do need one! It's not a matter of saving $50, it's more of getting the best value for a great laptop that will last me 5-8 years (with proper care). I made the mistake of purchasing 2 low-end laptops in the past 4 years without doing any research into what I need and such.

You could try to wait for the back to school sales.

Don't forget to try price matching with places like Memory Express (they give an extra 25% off of the difference). I hunted for my laptop and got an extra $200 off because Memory Express agreed to match with Costco.

I used memory express to price match with some small online store., and saved around $100. They are willing to price match a lot of things, so it's nice.

My laptop that Im running right now is pretty much dead on with the same specs, size and all. I've been pretty happy with it, but as has already been mentioned, a greater resolution for a 17" laptop would be nice. But for the grab of $900, it would be a solid purchase.

I'm looking to buy a laptop (desktop replacement) for everyday tasks such as emailing/youtubing/internet browsing and some low-end video editing and a few low-mid end games (ie: sims 3/4 .. simcity.. a few FPS/etc).

My question is, when is the best time to buy a laptop in the year?

I'm looking at a (Asus) laptop with these specs below;

Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor

Windows 8 64 Bit

16GB DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM

17.3" HD+ EWV (1600 x 900) Non-Glare LCD Panel

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

2.5" 9.5mm SATA

2 x 500GB HDD 7200 RPM

Dual HDD Support

Bilingual KB

For $899.95 (advertised of $500 off). Opinions on this? :-)

Best time to buy a laptop is any time you want a laptop.

When you need one and have the money for it ;)

Otherwise I'll "second" a few things:

-Agree on the screen you should look for 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 is even better).

-Get a single (say 250GB) SSHD. They're quieter, use less power and create less heat (all very good things to avoid, particularly in a lap top) and they're faster. Get a separate external drive or even better a NAS to store your media.

When you need one and have the money for it ;)

Otherwise I'll "second" a few things:

-Agree on the screen you should look for 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 is even better).

-Get a single (say 250GB) SSHD. They're quieter, use less power and create less heat (all very good things to avoid, particularly in a lap top) and they're faster. Get a separate external drive or even better a NAS to store your media.

I also believe they are less inclined to mechanical failure

I bought a laptop I knew I could expand with an SS Hard Drive at a later time. With more cash on hand, and my warranty about to expire, I'll probably buy and install one soon. They've gotten a lot more affordable. At this point I can maybe even spring for a 512 GB one.

That's a good price for those specs IMO because that's pretty much how much laptops cost these days. With that being said, if you're really only using it for those purposes, u could probably get one for less money and wouldn't notice the difference. Unless u do a lot of hardcore gaming or lots of video editing u don't need a monster like that. I made the same mistake. Matters more about your internet.

One thing I'd suggest is looking into SSD laptops as they're substantially faster than normal HDD ones but it'll probably cost a lot more too.

Lenovo Y510p.

It's got the ssd+hd combo and the 1080p ips screen, plus the same cpu and 16gb of ram. SLI nvidia 755m, back-lit keys, nice track pad. It can be purchased for a little under 1100 with taxes and shipping included.

Plus it's a Lenovo so you know it's sturdy and won't break apart like a HP or an extra cheap Acer.

Archived