The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com Article] Horvat, Gaunce trim down with hopes to make Canucks roster

Would the Canucks be able to loan Horvat to a men's team in the Swedish Elite league for a year?

The OHL has the highest success rate out of any league in the world for developing NHL talent.

Why would he want to go anywhere else?

I'm not insinuating that he would or the team would consider it. I was just curious if it was an option.

The only positive would be the fact he was playing against men instead of boys.

Oh and Stanky one (I'm hoping its not a hygiene issue), thanks for the thoughtful facepalm. Were you just waiting to use it for the day, if so your welcome off to bed you have summer school.... oh wait no summer school this year. Sorry.

Great article. To hell with those people calling him a bust in the comments. They just seem like they're still butthurt over the Schneider deal to the point that even if Bo were to come in and win the Calder, they would say he wasn't worth it.

I agree, people just have to realize that the Schneider trade was done to become cap compliant. Getting Bo Horvat is a big plus considering that MG was not dealing from a position of strength. Bo Horvat is going to be a very solid NHL player and we are fortunate to be able to watch him in a Canuck jersey for years to come. CDC dwells on the past too much, discounts our players and prospects too much and is never happy with a draft pick or a player aquired through trade. They dwell on hypothetical wishlists where we should of taken player A instead of B....it is what it is so let's just focus on what is and not what could have been.

How are teams like Chicago able to sneak under 20 year olds into their roster while ours is too solid for that kind of thing?

Chicago is sneaking 20 year olds into their roster because they can't sign all their vets due to the fact that they are not in a cap friendly position. You can expect more this year after they signed Toews and Kane to monster contracts.

Just curious, What under 20 year old(s) are you talking about, I don't see one on Chicago's roster?

Was referring to last season and Saad.

And my math was off, he was 20 but still pretty young to crack that roster last year. No way ours is so tight not to take a few chances and push the vets.

Was referring to last season and Saad.

And my math was off, he was 20 but still pretty young to crack that roster last year. No way ours is so tight not to take a few chances and push the vets.

You're confusing them wanting to with being forced to IMO.

You don't throw a young guy in there for the sake of having him there.

I never said that you do but to answer this anyways, you also don't keep a guy out just because he is young either.

There is no one size fits all formula. What may work for one player may wreck another but I believe the worst thing we can do is place glass ceilings that cannot be breached until passing a certain age. Youth has to believe they have a chance.

How are teams like Chicago able to sneak under 20 year olds into their roster while ours is too solid for that kind of thing?

Was thinking about this the other day. Chicago trades there older depth players in the offseason (i.e. Bolland, Frolik last year; Bollig this year) to make room for their younger players (Saad and Smith who both played their rookie season this year).

I suspect Benning will do the same thing but doesn't want to make any trades until he knows the young guys are ready. WD said on team1040 they want young players on the roster and they will earn a spot over the older players if they perform better. I anticipate Vey won't be the only rookie in next seasons starting line-up.

Was thinking about this the other day. Chicago trades there older depth players in the offseason (i.e. Bolland, Frolik last year; Bollig this year) to make room for their younger players (Saad and Smith who both played their rookie season this year).

I suspect Benning will do the same thing but doesn't want to make any trades until he knows the young guys are ready. WD said on team1040 they want young players on the roster and they will earn a spot over the older players if they perform better. I anticipate Vey won't be the only rookie in next seasons starting line-up.

This was Saad's full season but he did play the entirety of the lockout season with the Blackhawks. 2013-14 was his sophomore year.

Smith was already 25 years old when this past season started so I'm not sure he's necessarily one of their "young guys". And for what it's worth, he already had 20 games of NHL experience over a span of 3 seasons before 2013-14.

This was Saad's full season but he did play the entirety of the lockout season with the Blackhawks. 2013-14 was his sophomore year.

Smith was already 25 years old when this past season started so I'm not sure he's necessarily one of their "young guys". And for what it's worth, he already had 20 games of NHL experience over a span of 3 seasons before 2013-14.

Okay true, but that's not the point I'm making. What I'm saying is Chicago is willing to trade their older depth players to make room for their young and ready players, even if the age difference is just a couple of years.

I believe this is what Canucks management want to do. If a younger player plays just as well as an older depth player the younger player gets the roster spot. Only reason we haven't seen any of our depth players moved is because we don't know if our young guys are ready yet.

Obviously, it's not a young guy vs older guy issue, so there's no glass ceilings. Not even Jared MaCann would believe he's ready for the NHL at 18, but hey as impossible as it is, if the Kid came to camp and blew everyone away, he'd make the team. Everyone knows that won't happen, but it's strictly about performance and being ready, not age.

I really don't think any young player, even including Jensen or Corrado should start the year on the Canucks. They need to really earn it.

Only terrible teams force guys in and rush their development who are desperate for young players. All the good farm systems like Detroit and L.A. etc let their young players cook in the minors and don't just hand spots over to them without them earning the opportunity.

If any of the young players are truly standing out and looking comfortable in pre-season then they should get the 9 game look at the beginning of the year.

Again that is only if they are really lighting it up and it is obvious they are ready for the next level. This makes for healthy competition on the farm team whereas last year the only option the Canucks had to call-up was Jensen at forward. This year they will have him along with Shinkaruk, Guance, Fox, and Grenier.

This will create depth and foster a healthy culture of competition where young guys push each other for call-ups and put pressure on the veteran guys on the big club to play up to their standards.

This creates the push from the bottom the Canucks have been preaching and so badly have needed and now finally may have.

Besides, not many 19 year or even 20 year olds can make the jump without at the very least having some time spent playing in the minors.

Linden Vey on the other hand is the only one ready to stick for the whole year because of the seasoning he has already gotten in the minors.

Correct, not many. But there are the exceptions?

- Sean Monahan.

- Alecsander Barkov

- Thomas Hertl

Archived