The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report- Babych's contract not renewed

Lui's Knob

Hence, why I said everybody has to start somewhere.

Babych has always had a good knowledge of the game. He's been coached by the very best, and played with Hall of Famers. He's more likely to succeed as a defensive consultant than some random joe at the junior level.

Yeah junior is where coaches start, they have success there then they work their way up.

We aren't going to pick up a "random joe" it'll be one who has an history of developing great defencemen.

And both seem to be good hires, so it's all good.

Based on what? No games played. Lol

Anyway I agree with your initial point. I was just being smart.

The Canucks seem to like the former players involved with team management/scouting and coaching it really hasn't worked thus far. As far as TL he is more of a figure head imo.

Nope,

Don't like it.

No idea how good of a coach he was, but I do know this:

Babych transitioned from being a first pairing offensive guy to an all around, any situation type guy later in his career.

This tells me he had the ability to self reflect and adjust the nuances of his game. Skills that translate well to coaching.

I understand the argument that say, Paul Coffey, might not be able to coach as he ran on pure talent. But Dave managed to extend his career well beyond his talent peak.

At any rate I AM a fan of "Homer hires" They help create an identity.

NO, I am not Dave!

Ok, to those naysayers, give your flipping heads a shake.

From a Business perspective. A player who helped take you to the final, who puts in countless unpaid charitable hours. Who cost you virtually nothing to carry. Loyal to a fault. I don't think like to call things stupid but that was a Stupid decision.

From a Player development perspective. Are you bozo naysayers for real? Babs excelled at all levels of play, Has 3 kids that play(ed) at high levels including one in the WHL now. He has taken kids to provincial hockey championships, is liked by all he has tutored, Worked with kids at all levels. Knows the game and people involved inside and out. WHO COULD POSSIBLY BE MORE QUALIFIED FOR A DEVELOPMENT JOB? Am I wrong here??

I don't care what any of you say. This was a power play by Linden, nothing more. Babs is a bright guy. Maybe too bright for Trev. Out you go mofo. Nasty business this hockey game.

Archived