The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unpaid "tryout" shifts - legal?

That's What She Said

I had a job interview a few days ago that seemed to go fairly well, and at the end the manager suggested some "tryout" shifts to see if I would be a good fit. I agreed to it because 1) I really want the job and 2) it seems natural that a business would want to learn a bit more about someone before committing to training a new employee. However, now that I think about it I'm a bit suspicious. If it was simply a series of tests on whether I knew how to do things that would be fine, but from what I understand they are expecting me to actually work 2 or 3 full shifts without pay.

Is this legal? I have heard of small businesses taking advantage and giving multiple people "tryouts" to basically get a couple weeks of work for free. I looked through the labour laws section of the BC gov website but couldn't find anything specifically about this.

I had a job interview a few days ago that seemed to go fairly well, and at the end the manager suggested some "tryout" shifts to see if I would be a good fit. I agreed to it because 1) I really want the job and 2) it seems natural that a business would want to learn a bit more about someone before committing to training a new employee. However, now that I think about it I'm a bit suspicious. If it was simply a series of tests on whether I knew how to do things that would be fine, but from what I understand they are expecting me to actually work 2 or 3 full shifts without pay.

Is this legal? I have heard of small businesses taking advantage and giving multiple people "tryouts" to basically get a couple weeks of work for free. I looked through the labour laws section of the BC gov website but couldn't find anything specifically about this.

I'm pretty sure that it can be legal if it's termed like it's an internship or such. But basically it comes down to your own judgment I think, you can decline if you don't feel it's fair. It wouldn't be legal if they hired you, and then decided you weren't going to work out after a few shifts and then didn't pay you.

I don't know if it's legal or not, but it's completely unnecessary. The way I understand it, a company doesn't really need to commit to an employee for the first three months. They can let them go at any point up to the three month mark and not owe them any kind of severance. And they can let them go for any reason other than discriminatory reasons.

I dont know if its illegal, but I think thats where the whole probation period comes in. They can fire you, and you can quit without reason or notice durring that time. I get maybe a couple hours of a shift or something, but I cant see doing more than that unpaid.... In fact, if they want you to come in and try out for nothing, they could at least buy you lunch.... or pull your hair. :shock:

This was back in 2010. http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=5ca86d77-d63d-4863-90fc-7733959db45b

A North Vancouver teenager is warning other young job-seekers to be wary of unpaid trial shifts, a practice that continues in B.C. despite being illegal.

The thing is though, I've seen small business get away with worse. If the job requires no skills or that you specialize in the job you do, then there's no way you work for free. The only exception I'd say, is if there is something else you need before actually working.

Maybe a salesmen type of job, example; car salesmen where you might want to see how the job is, because it's mainly commission to see if you really want to commit before actually paying for a license to be actually be able to do that kind of job.

Otherwise, if you are hired. You should be getting paid for training, if that kind of thing is required.

It sounds suspect to me. It's probably legal to an extent (dependent on what you'll be doing during the shift), but I would proceed with caution.

Edit: or it's illegal as stated above.

This was back in 2010. http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=5ca86d77-d63d-4863-90fc-7733959db45b

The thing is though, I've seen small business get away with worse. If the job requires no skills or that you specialize in the job you do, then there's no way you work for free. The only exception I'd say, is if there is something else you need before actually working.

Maybe a salesmen type of job, example; car salesmen where you might want to see how the job is, because it's mainly commission to see if you really want to commit before actually paying for a license to be actually be able to do that kind of job.

Otherwise, if you are hired. You should be getting paid for training, if that kind of thing is required.

This.

It's illegal, contrary to what your employer wants you to think.

I don't know if it's legal or not, but it's completely unnecessary. The way I understand it, a company doesn't really need to commit to an employee for the first three months. They can let them go at any point up to the three month mark and not owe them any kind of severance. And they can let them go for any reason other than discriminatory reasons.

Well their reasoning, or at least the what the manager told me was, because I'd be quitting my current job to work this one, they don't want me quitting if it wasn't going to work out.

Well their reasoning, or at least the what the manager told me was, because I'd be quitting my current job to work this one, they don't want me quitting if it wasn't going to work out.

So if you were unemployed, they would be paying you right from the start? No tryout shifts then? It sounds like they are stringing you along, and it's BS.

People quit jobs to take new ones all the time. That's for the employee to worry about, not the potential new employer.

So if you were unemployed, they would be paying you right from the start? No tryout shifts then? It sounds like they are stringing you along, and it's BS.

People quit jobs to take new ones all the time. That's for the employee to worry about, not the potential new employer.

Yea the more I thought about it, the more shady it seemed. Now I don't know if I should not show up at all, or do it but demand to be paid after.

Yea the more I thought about it, the more shady it seemed. Now I don't know if I should not show up at all, or do it but demand to be paid after.

You said you wanted the job badly? Doesn't hurt to show up with eyes wide open. If it feels like BS walk off. What are they going to do, fire you? Just be smart about it. If you're tagging along with the supervisor for 4 hours while he/she shows you what's involved I don't see the harm. If they suddenly have to leave and leave you in control of anything, then I'd get worried.

Just my 2 cents.

It is definitely illegal if you are doing any productive work for them at all.

The reasoning of not wanting you to quit your other job doesn't hold water, it doesn't even make sense.

You either have to quit your old job or not depending on if the hours conflict. What does that have to do with getting paid? If you have to quit the old one in order to free yourself to show up at the new one... being unpaid doesn't matter.

Is he suggesting that your other job will take you back as long as you didn't get paid at the new one? I don't even get it.

Doing the work and demanding to get paid later won't work out for you.

Archived