The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hydro One CEO fired engineer over 'FHRITP' vulgarity

Neversummer

Kind of surprised there isn't a thread on this topic seeing as how CDC loves to debate. Lots of articles on this for background, if you don't know about this, your head is in the sand.

This one has a short interview of Hydro One CEO

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/hydro-one-ceo-calls-conduct-of-employee-fired-over-fhritp-vulgarity-reprehensible

What do you think? Punishment too harsh, just right, should fired engineer hire Kessler as lawyer to defend him (sorry couldn't resist)? Public shaming. Innocent before proven guilty? What is at stake here - employee rights? Action on the job vs. out of job? Free speech? Common decency? Public mischief? I'm interested in the opinion of those those who fought for ultimate right of free speech in the Charlie Hebdo incident.

Let it rip.

Hydro one has employee conduct contracts written up. ALL major corporations due, especially those with large unions. He not only broke that agreement but managed to spend almost 3 minutes insulting, sexually harassing (in our new pc world at least) and nearly threatening this poor woman when he brought up the "You're lucky we don't have vibrators" comment.

All while on national TV in front of an audience of millions with access to social media.

Stupidity and ignorance of that magnitude from someone with a professional degree and trade should always be punished. He's an adult, as such after signing that agreement he should have frigging acted like one.

People seeking there 15 seconds of fame via viral stupidity should and do deserve to be punished.

Luckily this idiot was.

Honestly...on NATIONAL TV you argue it in front of a camera...wtf kind of idiot are you?

Kind of surprised there isn't a thread on this topic seeing as how CDC loves to debate. Lots of articles on this for background, if you don't know about this, your head is in the sand.

This one has a short interview of Hydro One CEO

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/hydro-one-ceo-calls-conduct-of-employee-fired-over-fhritp-vulgarity-reprehensible

What do you think? Punishment too harsh, just right, should fired engineer hire Kessler as lawyer to defend him (sorry couldn't resist)? Public shaming. Innocent before proven guilty? What is at stake here - employee rights? Action on the job vs. out of job? Free speech? Common decency? Public mischief? I'm interested in the opinion of those those who fought for ultimate right of free speech in the Charlie Hebdo incident.

Let it rip.

I think the punishment is unwarranted. Of course what he did was wrong and immature, I am not trying to defend his action there, but this is not a mistake made during his work hour, therefore, a dismissal is unwarranted.

The company just caved to public opinion, it showed how much respect they have got for their employees. The ones who fired him should look at the mirror and asked themselves this question. Have they said anything stupid in their life? Of course they have. Did they get fired for that remark? Probably not.

Wife and I had quite the debate about this last night. We both agreed that the individual needs to be punished, but firing someone for this, whether minimum wage or a 6 figure salary seems excessive. The punishment in this situation doesn't seem to fit the crime.

I'm really glad nobody here has defended his actions as I've seen elsewhere. I think what he did was absolutely disrespectful, vulgar, and stupid. Should he have gotten fired? Maybe, like Warhippy said, he likely signed some sort of code of conduct contract and broke it on TV.

Wife and I had quite the debate about this last night. We both agreed that the individual needs to be punished, but firing someone for this, whether minimum wage or a 6 figure salary seems excessive. The punishment in this situation doesn't seem to fit the crime.

If he signed a contract to uphold integrity of the company he works for then yes, he deserves to be fired.

If he did not I would agree that a suspension w/o pay and maybe some sensitivity training would be acceptable.

Interesting case. While the employee might have a case for wrongful dismissal, it's more likely that the Code of Employee Conduct would hold up.

Even if they end up paying damages, it's the right decision to promote an inclusive culture. How'd you like to have to go to work with this guy if you were a woman? It's pretty likely that keeping this guy around would have been the source of a fair amount of workplace conflict, possibly resulting in other people leaving voluntarily. Recruiting new employees is a costly procedure and I don't blame the CEO for wanting to minimize the cost.

no sympathy for these clowns how the hell old are you 13 grow the f up poor girl show some respect you pos smirking idiots its called karma that your fired hopefully you should have thought bout the consequences of going fully brain dead

lmao

If he signed a contract to uphold integrity of the company he works for then yes, he deserves to be fired.

If he did not I would agree that a suspension w/o pay and maybe some sensitivity training would be acceptable.

Not saying that he didn't sign a contract or that the company didn't have the right to fire him. What I'm saying is that, contract or not, the punishment is excessive. That's all.

Certainly not defending the guy though.

Archived