The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Car - Van [Proposal]

To Carolina:

Kassian + Lack + Vrbata + 23rd

To Van:

Semin + 5th

Carolina gets out of a terrible contract for 3 years. Gets a young PWF prospect, a goalie to replace Ward and a proven offensive forward to jump in immediately with either of the Staals. 23rd to sweeten

Vancouver takes on the overpriced contract for Semin but may look better in a Desjardin style system and may work well with Sedins' feeding the pucks.

This may be more palatable considering Bonino is on a savouring contract for the next 2 years and Virtanen // Shinkaruk // Baertschi and maybe other dark horses could be pushing for regular NHL duties to ease the Semin contract.

The 5th overall becomes Hanfin // Marner // Provorov // Barzal (whatever floats your boat)

I'd be leaning this to be an overpayment for the Canucks considering that we are taking on an albatross of a contract but that is the main framework I'd be thinking of.

Thoughts?

eewww no

I don't want a damned thing to do with Semin. Nestrasil the 5th and a 2nd for that package.

Overpayment on Carolina with that. Vrbata / Lack are UFA in a year. Don't think it's an issue for Lack but likely an issue for Vrbata.

Lack, Vrbata & Sbisa for that?

I thought they were good defensively but that was before they traded Sekera... they could use some help there...

JB probably not trading Sbisa anyways :P

eewww no

I don't want a damned thing to do with Semin. Nestrasil the 5th and a 2nd for that package.

The whole point of this (that OP forgot to mention) is that Carolina is supposedly shopping semin with the 5th pick to get rid of his contract; no Semin=no deal (lul).

The whole point of this (that OP forgot to mention) is that Carolina is supposedly shopping semin with the 5th pick to get rid of his contract; no Semin=no deal (lul).

True, think they would be pretty well tied together.

Side discussion, what do people think of Semin overall think he can be rejuvenated with the Sedins ?

True, think they would be pretty well tied together.

Side discussion, what do people think of Semin overall think he can be rejuvenated with the Sedins ?

Not even Kesler could rejuvenate him.

Way too much. Vrbata can at least get a 1st and prospect by himself at this deadline from a contender, and if we're taking Semin back that's negative value that we get for him (he scored just 6 times last season but is signed for $7 million for three years) so the value of the first either goes up or we send a crap contract or two back their way to even things out. No way we should have to add Lack and Kass, who both have decent potential, just to move up those spots to the 5th.

I'd hesitate to even say that we'd be getting value by including Sbisa, since the Canes can actually use him in their top-4 while we risk getting bogged down for the next three years with that salary if he doesn't recover. After Faulk they only have Hainsey (top-4 guy but not that physical and getting old), Liles and Murphy (both small puck-movers).

I'd do something like Sbisa for Semin (with $1 million retained salary) and a 2nd. Not moving Vrbata for him.

EDIT: maybe Semin + pick to New Jersey for Tuomo Ruutu and Dainius Zubrus? The Canes get out from that contract two years early while the Devils basically swap salaries for two years of a potential top-line scorer when honestly they don't have much else on right wing (Tootoo and Bernier were their top guys). Medium-risk, but potentially high reward for the deal.

Way too much. Vrbata can at least get a 1st and prospect by himself at this deadline from a contender, and if we're taking Semin back that's negative value that we get for him (he scored just 6 times last season but is signed for $7 million for three years) so the value of the first either goes up or we send a crap contract or two back their way to even things out. No way we should have to add Lack and Kass, who both have decent potential, just to move up those spots to the 5th.

I'd hesitate to even say that we'd be getting value by including Sbisa, since the Canes can actually use him in their top-4 while we risk getting bogged down for the next three years with that salary if he doesn't recover. After Faulk they only have Hainsey (top-4 guy but not that physical and getting old), Liles and Murphy (both small puck-movers).

I'd do something like Sbisa for Semin (with $1 million retained salary) and a 2nd. Not moving Vrbata for him.

I would think the only reason that we'd be taking Semin is if it comes with the 5th overall.

Fair arguments both on Sbisa and Vrbata, think your value on a UFA 33 year old is a bit high unless if it's at the trade deadline rather than the draft day.

I did mention that I thought canucks was overpaying and that Semins 7m may be palatable because of the Bonino savings and the likely-hood of 2-3 prospects entering the lineup next year.

5th overalls cool doe

Did you really need 3 posts to say nothing useful? FYI there's an edit button...

I don't necessarily want Semin but I also doubt Carolina wants to trade the 5th overall. Moving 21m in dollars may entice them in the move and decrease the price of the 5th overall.

Semin is a high risk but he has shown offensive capabilities in the past

If we moved a number of vets(& had major cap space), wouldn't mind taking a chance. So many ELC's will be shuffled in, next few yrs.

Also, if Semin played as poorly as this yr-demote him. Realizing we'd still have to cover most of the cap-maybe the guy would just head home to Russia? :^)

Edler for Griffin Reinhart(gain 4 mill cap)

Vrbata for Wash 1st (gain 5 mill)

Jensen & Higgins to Mtl, for Tinordi & their 3rd(gain a coupla' mill)

The doozy:

Vey, Sbisa, Lack, & Wash 1st for Car #5 overall & Semin(Car retains 1 mill per yr)

In this way, we'd start a serious youth-movement. First round, we'd have the #5 & #23 picks.

roster:

Daniel..Henrik..Kassian

Burrows..Horvat..Semin

Baerschti..Bonino..Hansen

Dorsett..Gaunce..Grenier

Xtra: Kenins

Hamhuis-Tanev

Reinhart-Bieksa

Stanton-Clendenning

Tinordi-Corrado ...(2 aging vets, then all youth at D. Roll of the dice)

M & M's

-Would still have about 10~12 mill in cap space. Maybe upgrade Bonino to a bigger, better 2/3rd C?

If we moved a number of vets(& had major cap space), wouldn't mind taking a chance. So many ELC's will be shuffled in, next few yrs.

Also, if Semin played as poorly as this yr-demote him. Realizing we'd still have to cover most of the cap-maybe the guy would just head home to Russia? :^)

Edler for Griffin Reinhart(gain 4 mill cap)

Vrbata for Wash 1st (gain 5 mill)

Jensen & Higgins to Mtl, for Tinordi & their 3rd(gain a coupla' mill)

The doozy:

Vey, Sbisa, Lack, & Wash 1st for Car #5 overall & Semin(Car retains 1 mill per yr)

In this way, we'd start a serious youth-movement. First round, we'd have the #5 & #23 picks.

roster:

Daniel..Henrik..Kassian

Burrows..Horvat..Semin

Baerschti..Bonino..Hansen

Dorsett..Gaunce..Grenier

Xtra: Kenins

Hamhuis-Tanev

Reinhart-Bieksa

Stanton-Clendenning

Tinordi-Corrado ...(2 aging vets, then all youth at D. Roll of the dice)

M & M's

-Would still have about 10~12 mill in cap space. Maybe upgrade Bonino to a bigger, better 2/3rd C?

Yes Semin is 7m per year but I don't think we'd have to clean that much cash to make room...

Also Bonino is the best bang for buck on the team. Be hard to move him off the team.

The Leafs can eat that contract. It's not like they will have anything going on the next 3 years. For the 5th overall, it's worth it.

That's true. If they really decide to tear down might as well take that contract (they have $18 mil. to spend) and trade him if his value goes up again, so they can stockpile on young kids and speed up the rebuild.

Archived