The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

On 4/22/2018 at 1:03 PM, Attila Umbrus said:

The Grabner comparison made me excited. I loved Grabner, and really wished we didn't trade him. I don't know what they were thinking with that one. Every time I watched Grabner he was not only fast, and a scoring threat with a good shot, he made all the good subtle defensive plays...always being on the right side of the puck and not being a liability. If Jasek can be the next Grabner, sign me up! No pressure eh :)

After he broke his ankle playing soccer in the pre-game warm up, he never got out of AV's doghouse. http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/canucks-recall-michael-grabner-after-samuelsson-suffers-shoulder-injury

Jasek was that homerun pick, who is looking more and more like he can reach his potential. Playing pro hockey for the last couple years gives him a leg up over junior players and the same can be said for our other prospects playing in Euro leagues.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Makes sense why he didn't play game 2 then.

Yeah, that's the silver lining, I guess. I was a little surprised he came out when I thought it was a healthy scratch. Just because Cull seems to like his game so much. Chalked it up to the whole "rotate the young guys in" plan they'd talked about. But now I'm thinking Jašek would've probably played game 2 if he'd been healthy. Anyway, hopefully it's nothing serious and won't hold him off the ice too long (whether that's Utica extending their playoff run or Jašek starting on his offseason work).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Recent Sporting News article: http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/vancouver-canucks-prospects-lukas-jasek-jonathan-dahlen-kole-lind-utica-comets-north-america-professional-game-analysis-statistics/smqaooandwh41n5z9cxpflaxk

Linden on Jašek:

“We tried to get him over here to play junior,” Trevor Linden, Canucks president of hockey operations, told the Sporting News. “He was tied up in a contract there. It’s always a little bit murky as to what that looks like.”

“He's got a pretty good (hockey) sense,” said Linden after watching Jasek for the first time on Saturday. “He’s a pretty smooth operator, he understands time and space at this level and he’s a pretty fluid skater.

“He stepped into a really challenging situation and has handed it really well. It’s a credit to him, he’s a pretty driven kid obviously.”

“Our guys had watched him play in the Czech league and obviously we had some good reports,” Linden said. “It’s just another young player we can add to our group. We think after we saw him here in North America, and saw that he’s got some NHL potential, we’ll see where that goes in the next little bit, but pretty easy decision.

“The one thing about Lukas that he has is pro experience in Europe with the men’s league there in the Czech Republic.”

Andrew Degroot, ISS Head AHL Scout:

“He’s been an impact guy for (the Comets),” said Andrew Degroot, ISS Hockey’s head scout for the AHL. “He’s a good skater, he can skate. He’s a big kid.

“You’ve got to like in six regular season games, he scored seven points.”

Allan Walsh, Agent:

“He was too old in the CHL and had previously signed a contract with Liberec in the Czech league, which did not allow him to play in the (CHL),” said Walsh. “What we told him back then to focus on was having the best year he could possibly have in Czech, and then hope was, Utica would be playing games after Liberec was done.

“The moment Liberec was done, we immediately approached Vancouver about getting him to Utica on a ATO/PTO.”

“This kid is so psychotic, he’s coming in to the summer, and into training camp fighting for a job in Vancouver,” said Walsh. “He’s committed to playing in North America next season.”

EDIT: "Psychotic" probably wouldn't be my word choice. Maybe "driven" instead? But nice to hear that Jašek has his sights set on making the Canucks next season and will be working hard over the summer and coming into camp. After what he's shown in this short AHL sample, I'm definitely not counting him out. Next season (cracking the NHL lineup) seems a tad optimistic, but if anyone has the drive to make such lofty dreams a reality, it would be Lukáš.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Jašek skated in Utica today in a red jersey (no contact). So he still won’t be playing next game but at least he’s back on the ice and practicing. Suggests the injury isn’t too bad. Maybe day-to-day or week-to-week.

Speculation is that he got hurt on a hit he received in game one. Was taken hard into the boards and felled by the contact. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Talk about coming out of nowhere. 

Goes from a relative unknown to competing for a spot with the big club next season.

This kid's skillset scream 1RW. 

Hope he continues his offensive onslaught.

A Dahlen, Pettersson, Jasek line could be pretty potent.

1st line player is a stretch, but a solid bottom-6 contributor along the lines of Sheary isn't.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1st line player is a stretch, but a solid bottom-6 contributor along the lines of Sheary isn't.

I'm very curious to see what he can do over the course of a full season.

His skill set suggests top-six but even if he does turn into a bottom six forward, it would still be considered a win for sure.

On 2018-04-26 at 11:36 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek skated in Utica today in a red jersey (no contact). So he still won’t be playing next game but at least he’s back on the ice and practicing. Suggests the injury isn’t too bad. Maybe day-to-day or week-to-week.

Speculation is that he got hurt on a hit he received in game one. Was taken hard into the boards and felled by the contact. 

Just to update: last report I read said the injury was merely day-to-day.

Jašek probably would have been ready to return to the lineup for the next series if the Comets won game 5 versus the Marlies and advanced to the second round of the AHL Calder Cup Playoffs.

Looking like the injury shouldn't hold him back at all this offseason.

I expect he's get a full summer's training in, make some serious gains, and arrive at camp in great shape and ready to challenge for a spot.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 9:23 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek apparently picked up an injury in game one and won’t be available for game three:

Thanks for that, I wondered what the heck happened to him.  Didn't seem reasonable that he didn't play if he could.

8 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I'm very curious to see what he can do over the course of a full season.

His skill set suggests top-six but even if he does turn into a bottom six forward, it would still be considered a win for sure.

I think we're already at a win just by him proving himself worthy of an NHL contract. Given where he was drafted, he's already beaten the odds.

But making the NHL is the next hurdle. And it's hard to predict where he'll end up.

Obviously the bottom of the lineup is the most likely spot. But he does have a very high end skillset and some great overall natural ability.

I refuse to put a ceiling on Jašek. I've always thought he'd be a really good third liner. But he may have even more to offer if everything goes perfectly for him.

He's just so damn versatile. Can play any forward position, mix well with both skill players and grinders, and succeed in pretty much any role.

Jašek can be the speedster linemate who brings high energy and pace, or the dogged pursuit role digging for pucks in the corners, or the fearless guy who plays net front and screens and crashes. He can be both the sniper and the playmaker. Or he can be the two-way guy provides the line's defensive conscience. Or the pest who gets under opponents' skins. He can be the halfboards PPQB, or the point shot, or he can camp out at the left circle for one-timers. He can play a pure matchup/shutdown role, or he can be a poacher, or a stretch pass target for breakaways. He can be a third D style forward who helps recover pucks and create zone exits, or the high man looking to blow the zone and rush down the ice at the first opportunity. Et cetera, et cetera. It really goes on and on what type of role this kid can play on a team.

Ideally though, he's a two-way RW who fuels his game with his speed and determination. A player with high hockey IQ and vision that allows him to make strong plays in the offensive zone, and read the danger and provide good positioning and support defensively. Basically a "plug and play" linemate who can be an asset wherever you spot him in.

A few months ago, my dream scenario was him coming over for 2018-19 and playing RW on the Sedin line. I really think he could've fit in well with the twins. But that ship has sailed.

At this point, I'm thinking he might make a really nice winger for Gaudette.

But who knows, maybe he plays with Pettersson or Horvat one day. I definitely wouldn't rule it out.

For the time being, I just want him to crack the NHL.

On step at a time. And each one is a bonus from here on out. :)

11 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Talk about coming out of nowhere. 

Goes from a relative unknown to competing for a spot with the big club next season.

This kid's skillset scream 1RW. 

Hope he continues his offensive onslaught.

A Dahlen, Pettersson, Jasek line could be pretty potent.

1RW?!? 

I hope he makes the NHL and plays 100 games. 

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

?, Pettersson, Boeser 

Dahlen, Horvat, Jasek..?

That second line would be pretty fun to watch. 

Could also see Virtanen-Gaudette-Jašek being a very fun unit. Maybe as a “kid line” style 4th. Probably too many RH shots (seems like we have a lot of them now) but man they’d have some speed and energy. Pretty feisty group too and all three are no slouches defensively.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know a lot about Havlat but I see that in Jasek's game.  A guy I know more about, who overcame adversity and a lack of people believing in him and yet managed to master each level and even become a top line player was Alex Burrows.  When I see how Jasek had to dominate U16 to learn to dominate U18 and then U20.  How he could stick in the Czech pro leagues on the third and fourth line with little production doing the little things right and then develop into that league with a solid season last year.  I was really expecting him to be back in the Czech league being a point a game guy this year coming before he surprised me and made it to Utica.  I really hope he has a solid year in Utica this year coming and gets good minutes.  As this kid seems to have the talent and tenacity to get to the NHL and be that third liner Benning speaks of and then just maybe, surprise us all again and show us he is really a top 6 player as he has at every level once he has adjusted.  

• Upvote 2