The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Ahh crud.. I guess I can't be dissapointed but wanted to ride this one longer. My limit stopped me at $36.00 this morning.

600 shares at $6.07 gain in 2 days.. This market is just insane..

I will watch close today for a big dip and buy back in. Have a great Friday all!

Never thought I'd see the day when a Canadian jobs report beat expectations by nearly 800,000 jobs.

Canada May employment +289.6K vs -500.0K expected

Fri 5 Jun 2020 12:30:08 GMT

The May 2020 Canada employment report

• Prior was -1993.8K
  • Unemployment rate 13.7% vs 15.0% expected (highest on record)
  • Prior unemployment rate 13.0%
Details:

• Full time +219K vs -1472K prior
  • Part time +70.3K vs -521K prior
  • Participation rate 61.4% vs 59.8% exp
  • Prior participation rate 59.8% (65.5% pre-COVID)
  • Hourly wage rate permanent employees +10.0% vs +10.5% exp
  • Survey reflects labour market conditions as of the week of May 10 to May 16
  • The number of Canadians who wanted to work but did not look for a job remained high in May, falling from 1.5 million in April to 1.4 million
  • Including the group who wanted to work but were not looking for work-without distinguishing how recently they last worked-would result in an adjusted unemployment rate of 19.6% in May, unchanged from April.
  • Underutilization rate 34.8% vs 36.6% prior
  • 22.5% live in a household reporting difficulty meeting immediate financial obligations, up slightly from April at 21.1%
  • Overall share of employed Canadians who were concerned about job loss fell 5.6 percentage points to 10.8%
  • Full report
The rise in the participation rate combined with better-than-expected unemployment is a great sign, at least at first blush.

The rise in jobs likely reflects the government's wage subsidy program. It allowed companies to re-hire workers with a massive wage subsidy.

If you dig into the numbers, it's all good news. In particular, the biggest jump in employment came in Quebec, which reopened in May.

US nonfarm payroll for May rose +2509K vs -7500K estimate

Fri 5 Jun 2020 12:30:49 GMT

Highlights of the US May employment report

Nonfarm payroll nonfra

• Change in Nonfarm payroll 2509K vs -7500K estimate. Prior month revised to -20687K vs -20537K estimate
  • two month Prior month revised -642K
  • Unemployment rate 13.3% vs. 19% estimate. Prior month 14.7%
  • Change in private payroll 3094K vs -6750K estimate. Prior month -19724K vs. -19557K
  • Change in Manufacturing jobs plus 225K vs. -400K estimate
  • Average weekly hours 34.7 vs. 34.3 estimate
  • Average hourly earnings MOM -1.0% vs. +1.0 estimate
  • Average hourly earnings YoY 6.7% vs. 8.5% estimate
  • Participation rate 60.8% vs. 60.1% estimate. Last month 60.2%
  • Service sector rose by 2.4 million
  • goods producing jobs increase 669K vs -2373K last month

Craziest numbers I have ever seen.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NucksPatsFan said:

@yoshiyoshiI'm at the gym but a friend texted me about something about GNUS appointing a former Disney exec ?

yeah and someone else too. hasnt really helped the price so far today though but its still dealing with the fallout from yesterday. Im trying not to watch it today and come back monday but so far i keep checking every 5 min lol

2 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

2 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

yeah and someone else too. hasnt really helped the price so far today though but its still dealing with the fallout from yesterday. Im trying not to watch it today and come back monday but so far i keep checking every 5 min lol

Awesome. Just more ammo for next week's run up

The "V" is complete in the NASDAQ index. New all-time highs for the index.

Technical Analysis Fri 5 Jun 2020 17:22:16 GMT

New all time high for the Nasdaq index above 9838.37

The "V" is complete in the Nasdaq index. The price just traded to a new all-time high price. The February 19, 2020 high reached 9838.37. 

Nasdaq trades to a new all time high

The run higher erased a -32.6% decline that saw the price move from a high of 9838.37 on February 19, to a low on March 23 at 6631.42.  The price traded above and below the 100 day MA at the end of April into early May, but moved above the level last on May 4th and has not traded below that moving average level since.

V for victory.  

Of course the surprise job gains today certainly helped, but overall, the US stock market is bulletproof. 

PS  Oh BTW the Dow moved up over 1000 or 3.8%
PSS The S&P is up 3% on the day.  

This lunacy and moral hazard brought to you by the Fed. And it's nowhere near stopping. There will be no retest of any lows. The other indices will be at all time highs before too long. Kind of nice when the Fed pumps in so much liquidity they reduce risk to near zero. Just lever up and collect your free money.

There's so much liquidity sloshing around you even see a never ending supply of these pump and dumps that seem to be so popular in here.

Speaking of which. Why do none of you seem to take advantage of the dump side of the equation and short some of this trash? Make some dough on the downside? Come to think of it, I don't think i have ever read about anyone shorting anything in here. Kind of weird.
Edited by nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Who says inventing in garbage stock doesn’t pay?

Hashtag waste management!

Hadn't thought of Waste Management in years. Just punched in the ticker WMI and found it doesn't exist. Then I see it took over Washington Mutual's old ticker "WM".

How strangely appropriate. :lol:

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hadn't thought of Waste Management in years. Just punched in the ticker WMI and found it doesn't exist. Then I see it took over Washington Mutual's old ticker "WM".

How strangely appropriate. :lol:

WM has been doing good, also WCN which i think is Canadian company.

I haven’t thought about WaMu In years, blast from the past.