The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Won the Cup !!

Spengler Cup that is.  Apparently, they ran the table ... did anyone even pay attention?  This is the tournament with jerseys that look like billboards, a car placed in the corner of the arena, players from Canada that most people never even heard of.  

I only bring this up because last year, there was a thread (there wasn't even one this year) and I said no one gives a damn about this and people tried to convince me this was an important tourney blah blah blah.  It's only gotten more irrelevant.  

Congrats Canada - Derek Roy, Corey Conacher, Jeff Glass, Tom Pyatt, etc.   did Cujo play in this tourney this year??!! 

In case you really are, here is link.

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this not the tourney where the refs are dressed in cow costumes - Holsteins? Ya, big accomplishment. :frantic:

It is the highest level of hockey in Switzerland, which is growing as a hockey nation. It's popular there, especially for Canadians living abroad.

16 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

It is the highest level of hockey in Switzerland, which is growing as a hockey nation. It's popular there, especially for Canadians living abroad.

I accept that.  Still the refs are dressed in cow costumes, which doesn't exactly convey elite level hockey.  I guess I shouldn't pick on their hockey too much.  I like our Whitcaps, and that's about the same level. :). I saw the list of the ex NHL guys on our team too - pretty impressive.

Used to watch it, not a bad alternative.

Side note, did anyone watch any Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg games?  That's the team that Nikita Tryamkin is on and was wondering if anyone could talk about how he looked out there (did he get any Spengler action)?

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Used to watch it, not a bad alternative.

Side note, did anyone watch any Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg games?  That's the team that Nikita Tryamkin is on and was wondering if anyone could talk about how he looked out there (did he get any Spengler action)?

I saw some of the Canada game vs AY. That guy is scary big, but not NHL ready by a long shot. Got lots of ice time, though, and had a couple of nice end to end rushes late in the 3rd. Encouraging skills, but bring him into the NHL now and I think he'll get walked.

Deceptive skater. Looks slow even when he's going fast. Kind of like watching a 747 land. You know it's going over 200 kph, yet it just looks like it's hanging there.

Wears 88. Hopefully that means he was a fan of Lindros style of play. Probably not, though.

2 hours ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

I saw some of the Canada game vs AY. That guy is scary big, but not NHL ready by a long shot. Got lots of ice time, though, and had a couple of nice end to end rushes late in the 3rd. Encouraging skills, but bring him into the NHL now and I think he'll get walked.

Deceptive skater. Looks slow even when he's going fast. Kind of like watching a 747 land. You know it's going over 200 kph, yet it just looks like it's hanging there.

Wears 88. Hopefully that means he was a fan of Lindros style of play. Probably not, though.

With those similarities (including in appearance), hopefully he's not gonna be like Lindros but more like Brent Burns.  I mean, stick a beard on his picture and tell me he doesn't at least vaguely look like that #88, and if he does pan out that way this'll be a happy fan-base!  (Wishful thinking).

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

With those similarities (including in appearance), hopefully he's not gonna be like Lindros but more like Brent Burns.  I mean, stick a beard on his picture and tell me he doesn't at least vaguely look like that #88, and if he does pan out that way this'll be a happy fan-base!  (Wishful thinking).

Was thinking more of wanting Lindros's mean streak when I alluded to him. Totally forgot Burns wears 88. Much better choice for a dman.

Archived