The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hawks - Maple Leafs

Hodgson!!

So the Blackhawks traded Morin to Columbus in 2014. Then re-acquired Morin from Columbus last year in June, and now proceed to trade him to the Maple leafs. Just imagine being in Morin's shoes. 

I don't know about yall but Toronto won this trade IMO.

49 minutes ago, Odd. said:

So the Blackhawks traded Morin to Columbus in 2014. Then re-acquired Morin from Columbus last year in June, and now proceed to trade him to the Maple leafs. Just imagine being in Morin's shoes. 

I don't know about yall but Toronto won this trade IMO.

Meh. Panik is good when on strong teams. I think it's even.

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Pretty much a lateral move as far as on-ice assets go, no?

If Panik scores a single point, or even plays a game in a Hawks uniform, it will be more than they would have gotten from Morin this year.  Q hated Morin and there was no way he was ever gonna play at the NHL level for the Hawks organization.  From the Hawks perspective, they were giving up nothing.  I'm sure Toronto doesn't feel all that much different with the loss of Panik.

26 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

If Panik scores a single point, or even plays a game in a Hawks uniform, it will be more than they would have gotten from Morin this year.  Q hated Morin and there was no way he was ever gonna play at the NHL level for the Hawks organization.  From the Hawks perspective, they were giving up nothing.  I'm sure Toronto doesn't feel all that much different with the loss of Panik.

Panik has better NHL numbers than Morin. I just don't understand this trade at all.

10 minutes ago, Darth Kane said:

No way in H E Double Hockey Sticks. 

Chicago may look to deal for Drouin, but my guess would that Teravainen or Dano would be the main pieces going back to Tampa. 

My point was, from what the rumours are, that's what Yzerman is asking, that level of player coming back....I am sure Chicago would prefer that but likely not Tampa

Maybe Teravainen and Schmatlz given his excellent WJC?

Although, perhaps there's a trade to made with CBJ now as well

Rychel for Drouin? Maybe a fair trade both ways....

Have to say it must be hard for these GM's who have these young players who think they deserve a shot, vs working their way up. Coming out in the press like this handcuffs the GM's - no one will give them fair value, and you don't want a kid sulking around your AHL players.

It's risk for the 'buyer' since now they know the kid has an attitude, it lowers what teams will give up etc....

SMG

20 minutes ago, McCannon said:

My point was, from what the rumours are, that's what Yzerman is asking, that level of player coming back....I am sure Chicago would prefer that but likely not Tampa

Maybe Teravainen and Schmatlz given his excellent WJC?

Although, perhaps there's a trade to made with CBJ now as well

Rychel for Drouin? Maybe a fair trade both ways....

Have to say it must be hard for these GM's who have these young players who think they deserve a shot, vs working their way up. Coming out in the press like this handcuffs the GM's - no one will give them fair value, and you don't want a kid sulking around your AHL players.

It's risk for the 'buyer' since now they know the kid has an attitude, it lowers what teams will give up etc....

SMG

I'm sure Yzerman would ask for Panarin, but Drouin isn't worth that much. Teravainen and Schmaltz would probably be an over pay too. 

Rychel for Drouin seems fair. I think Arizona has some young guys that could be dealt for Drouin too. 

51 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Okay,  I'll bite - why the hate-on?  

Morin has skill but lacks the work ethic required to stick in the NHL. I think this is just a deal where both teams hope a change of scenery helps their guy. Q said Panik will start in Chicago rather than Rockford, so I'd expect another move from the Blackhawks. Likely either Mashinter or Bickell to Rockford. 

1 minute ago, Darth Kane said:

I'm sure Yzerman would ask for Panarin, but Drouin isn't worth that much. Teravainen and Schmaltz would probably be an over pay too. 

Rychel for Drouin seems fair. I think Arizona has some young guys that could be dealt for Drouin too. 

I agree...I think the issue with Yzerman is he has a 3rd overall pick that

1. Had a decent rookie year

2. Then stalled

3. Now has asked to be traded so rest of the league

A. Doesn't really know what he is - still a 3rd overall talent, or is he not 'that guy'

B. Thinks he may have a bit of an attitude asking to be traded - even if they don't they will make that claim to lower the cost (goes to your point).

Result is unless its a trade like Rychel for him, Yzerman is going to potentially get less back than what they figured he'd turn into. What's even more interesting is, what if Stamkos leaves and you lose your "arguably" best young offensive talent in the pipeline? 

Stevie Y is in a bind here

Archived